Has Quebec City been priced out of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
The way the NHL is set up, you only need 7 votes.

Source?

The nine governors, led by board chairman Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins, decided it was, according to many media reports. The entire 30-team board of governors will formally vote to admit Las Vegas at their meeting on June 22. A two-thirds majority of the 30 teams is needed to approve any expansion but NHL tradition is the full board rubber-stamps any recommendation from the executive committee.

Everything you need to know about NHL expansion

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Gary Bettman is the one rigging the Canadian Dollar in order for Quebec to never get an NHL team :sarcasm:

Is that the same Canadian dollar that pays double the American TV deal, and more than a 1/3 of league revenues, sharing revenues with franchises who don't make a dime?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Is that the same Canadian dollar that pays double the American TV deal, and more than a 1/3 of league revenues, sharing revenues with franchises who don't make a dime?

I couldn't tell you because I was just kidding. It was sort of a joke on the Vegas Golden Knights making the final because I just can't stop believing it's rigged. But with lawyers you can do just about anything.

Reactions: voyageur

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You only need 7 votes? Are you sure. For Vegas, the entire BOG cast ballots, all 30 members. You're saying they only needed 7 votes?

1st the team applying for an Expansion Team has to get passed the 10 Member all powerful Executive Committee Chaired by Jeremy Jacobs, and that requires a Super Majority vote if I'm not mistaken..... That or 2/3rds, so 7. Previously there had been a separate NHL Expansion & Relocation Committee however that seems to have been done away with, the Executive Committee itself looking at & dealing with such matters exclusively....

If it gets passed the Executive Committee & they recommend it...then it goes to the other 21 (10 Executive Members already approved it) Teams for a vote requiring 2/3rd's to win a Franchise HOWEVER... its been NHL tradition that a Super Majority Vote also required for that even though their League policies state otherwise. Relocations another matter, rare that they actually follow their stated policies... rules, policies are for appearances only & breaking so to expect they'd follow any of them? Ha!

Essentially whats going on & has been going on quite literally since inception in 1917 is that the ice is tilted. While they go out of their way to give every appearance of fair, forthright & democratic dealing... what this is in reality is an Autocracy, Lord of the Flies with the Chairman (Jacobs) essentially dictating & deciding almost everything, Bettman & Daly advising & enabling, following orders, facilitating, executing. Just what exactly their problem is with PKP & Quebecor could be any number of things, quite a few theories floated, but needless to say many of us here & elsewhere arent buying the "official story" as given by Jeremy Jacobs & Gary Bettman...

A great many people & I mean well beyond just Quebec City have reason, very good reason & cause to be suspicious of the Molsons & other interests in both Canada & the US... and no, its not some paranoid conspiracy theory, emanating from the supposed non-existent insecurity of a francophone population massively overshadowed by one thats english, some fevered persecution complex gripping peoples minds... no, this is conspiracy fact. This doesnt add up. The reasons for denial were & are spurious, insignificant, trite, small & easily dealt with, were dealt with. Bogus. So something else is going on, something doesnt smell right & not for the first time when it comes to business operations & decisions being made by this League.

You really have to be some kinda Moron to be floating the excuses, reasons for "deferral" that Jacobs has & ordering Bettman to echo them... and now even he's running away from Jacobs words, doesnt want to comment at all, distancing himself from what he knows is complete & utter stupidity. I know for a fact he'd love to see the Nordiques return & sooner rather than later. He's said it publicly on numerous occasions & for nearly a decade. As such Ive never believed that Gary Bettmans been the issue but then, he's not Chairman of the Board, he doesnt even get to vote. So I wouldnt be too hard on him but of course he is an easier target than is Jacobs & others, the real decision makers & obstacles... there the ones denying Quebec & their hiding behind Garys' coattails.... Gutless. Duplicitous. Disingenuous. Dishonest. Problem with PKP? Lets hear it. If genuine, real, understandable, lets get him the Hell out of there & someone else in you guys can work with & like.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Killion Everybody remembers what Jacobs said about Quebec but in the same interview he REFUSED to speak about relocation and did so in a matter that makes me believe the NHL is talking about it.

People forget that the Nords had quite a following even in the WHA days with francophones even in Montreal. Their Sunday night televised games on French Channel 10 were heavily watched.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
1st the team applying for an Expansion Team has to get passed the 10 Member all powerful Executive Committee Chaired by Jeremy Jacobs, and that requires a Super Majority vote if I'm not mistaken..... That or 2/3rds, so 7. Previously there had been a separate NHL Expansion & Relocation Committee however that seems to have been done away with, the Executive Committee itself looking at & dealing with such matters exclusively....

If it gets passed the Executive Committee & they recommend it...then it goes to the other 21 (10 Executive Members already approved it) Teams for a vote requiring 2/3rd's to win a Franchise HOWEVER... its been NHL tradition that a Super Majority Vote also required for that even though their League policies state otherwise. Relocations another matter, rare that they actually follow their stated policies... rules, policies are for appearances only & breaking so to expect they'd follow any of them? Ha!

Essentially whats going on & has been going on quite literally since inception in 1917 is that the ice is tilted. While they go out of their way to give every appearance of fair, forthright & democratic dealing... what this is in reality is an Autocracy, Lord of the Flies with the Chairman (Jacobs) essentially dictating & deciding almost everything, Bettman & Daly advising & enabling, following orders, facilitating, executing. Just what exactly their problem is with PKP & Quebecor could be any number of things, quite a few theories floated, but needless to say many of us here & elsewhere arent buying the "official story" as given by Jeremy Jacobs & Gary Bettman...

A great many people & I mean well beyond just Quebec City have reason, very good reason & cause to be suspicious of the Molsons & other interests in both Canada & the US... and no, its not some paranoid conspiracy theory, emanating from the supposed non-existent insecurity of a francophone population massively overshadowed by one thats english, some fevered persecution complex gripping peoples minds... no, this is conspiracy fact. This doesnt add up. The reasons for denial were & are spurious, insignificant, trite, small & easily dealt with, were dealt with. Bogus. So something else is going on, something doesnt smell right & not for the first time when it comes to business operations & decisions being made by this League.

You really have to be some kinda Moron to be floating the excuses, reasons for "deferral" that Jacobs has & ordering Bettman to echo them... and now even he's running away from Jacobs words, doesnt want to comment at all, distancing himself from what he knows is complete & utter stupidity. I know for a fact he'd love to see the Nordiques return & sooner rather than later. He's said it publicly on numerous occasions & for nearly a decade. As such Ive never believed that Gary Bettmans been the issue but then, he's not Chairman of the Board, he doesnt even get to vote. So I wouldnt be too hard on him but of course he is an easier target than is Jacobs & others, the real decision makers & obstacles... there the ones denying Quebec & their hiding behind Garys' coattails.... Gutless. Duplicitous. Disingenuous. Dishonest. Problem with PKP? Lets hear it. If genuine, real, understandable, lets get him the Hell out of there & someone else in you guys can work with & like.

It does seem like there's something weird behind it.

Hell I think if it's political and they fear of being associated with a separatist, what weapon would be better than Quebec having a successful professional sport team? There's no reasons left to split up now, you got what you wanted. People are happy in the status quo, no need to separate.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
I was re-reading about the Quebec rivalry with Habs and Nords (in terms of politics and the passion amongst fans and the breweries that owned both separately) which further harnessed my thinking that the latter need to be re-established albeit relocation. I would be intrigued by their return if it ever happens.

Arizona should get the bullet but Houston will get first refusal.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Listen, I support Quebec but the NHL will put the franchises where it wants to put them. If they don't wan Quebec City, it is what it is.
Jacobs and Molson are ardent QC haters. You see were that has brought us now.

I fully agree. Except NHL is making me doubt. I wonder why they keep pushing with Preseason games (they just announced Habs vs Caps on September 20th) in Quebec, when they know they cannot make a dime in our small smelly poor f***ed up Canadian market.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Hell I think if it's political and they fear of being associated with a separatist, what weapon would be better than Quebec having a successful professional sport team? There's no reasons left to split up now, you got what you wanted. People are happy in the status quo, no need to separate.

I don't buy it.

TVA Sport, owned and operated by Quebecor Media, owned and operated by Pierre Karl Peladeau himself...drum roll...is the NHL's official French TV Rights partner.

They are bloody f***ing hell already associated with PKP. Him owning a team is not a step further really.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
It should be Florida in Quebec. No way to explain how there is two teams in Florida and one in Quebec. Other than the opportunism of Huizenga in the economic disparity of the 90's. Give the fans hockey, and that old man Jacobs, can go to hell. Never been a man less worthy of being in the Hall.

Except the players don't want you either.

No fans should have to lose their team to satisfy you. I would think Quebec fans would have some empathy. I don't care about your blind devotion, or passion. Florida is responding to their team the way any normal market responds to a bad team. A market isn't unworthy because tickets don't magically sell themselves.

Whine about being disrespected, then spit on other fans. Quebec fans make themselves impossible to like.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
The BOG want nothing to do with PKP sitting on the board. Too polarizing a figure

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

No fans should have to lose their team to satisfy you. I would think Quebec fans would have some empathy. I don't care about your blind devotion, or passion. Florida is responding to their team the way any normal market responds to a bad team. A market isn't unworthy because tickets don't magically sell themselves.

Whine about being disrespected, then spit on other fans. Quebec fans make themselves impossible to like.
That's a winnipeg guy you're responding to :laugh:. I told you man most QC fans are more angry at Jacobs. I'll give you the players part though.
It should be Florida in Quebec. No way to explain how there is two teams in Florida and one in Quebec. Other than the opportunism of Huizenga in the economic disparity of the 90's. Give the fans hockey, and that old man Jacobs, can go to hell. Never been a man less worthy of being in the Hall.
You should ask yourself why the Canadiens and players association have said nothing about this.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

and what voyageur clearly ignores is other posters telling him repeatedly, Florida is not for sale, 2) the lease as explained numerous times by many posters, veterans or not, is extremely difficult to improbable to break even if there was a way for Viola to renegotiate it, he could, without penalties incurred to either the NHL, the franchise or Broward County which is the reason why the Panthers were split off from the Heat and to a lesser extent the Marlins... that is why the Arisons stayed in Miami at the American Airlines Arena, and the Panthers moved to Broward aka Sunrise....

it's also why Arizona/NHL won that small battle when RIM attempts were made on three existing markets, that clause may be rarely exercised but that's why it is there in the league constitution/bylaws

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
@Killion Everybody remembers what Jacobs said about Quebec but in the same interview he REFUSED to speak about relocation and did so in a matter that makes me believe the NHL is talking about it.

People forget that the Nords had quite a following even in the WHA days with francophones even in Montreal. Their Sunday night televised games on French Channel 10 were heavily watched.

Yeah, indeed so on all fronts, both of your points above for sure. Assuming the same..... It must be tough sometimes being a Bruins fan with that guy owning your club. Love~Hate relationship huh? :laugh:

Reactions: Fenway

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yeah, indeed so on all fronts, both of your points above for sure. Assuming the same..... It must be tough sometimes being a Bruins fan with that guy owning your club. Love~Hate relationship huh? :laugh:
ACTUALLY, K, you rarely see JJ involved in the day to day between Delaware North, and the NHL, Charlie Jacobs is likely the one overseeing the operations of the Bruins, because fans have heard more from him as the years progress....

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

No, no way is it "political" Kimota. I wouldnt be buying into that for a second. While it was & supposedly is still the avowed mission of the PQ to separate thats really today & has been for quite some time nothing more than posturing. They know they have absolutely no chance of ever driving that tired old Buggy across the finish line but it does create leverage of a kind & sure... there is a small % of people who would like to separate just as there are in California, the Pacific NW (Cascadia), the 905, 519 & other area codes beyond the GTA in Southern Ontario as in lets give Toronto the boot. :laugh:

All brinksmanship, playing games, gaining leverage. The NHL is well aware of it & plays similar games itself, Bettman, Jacobs & the rest of them all well connected politically & know the real score, whats really going on, amused by much of it I'm sure.... So no, thats got absolutely nothing to do with it & even if it did PKP has left the PQ as Leader regardless... Indeed if anything his being Leader wouldve been advantageous to the NHL perhaps in the Quebec Legislature. Something else has gone on, gone down, is going on. Something were not privy to that is being kept quiet.

I think @Frenchy & others, I myself suspecting for awhile now that it may have something to do with PKP more on a personal level, that he's rubbed Jacobs & maybe a couple of others the wrong way, and then theres that whole Molsons~Bell dynamic going on & I'm not buying Geoff Molsons denials that he's not objecting to the return of the Diques. Those two families have been at war for decades. However if it ever got out that he & Bell were standing in the way behind closed doors..... obviously all Hell would break loose. Thats my theory. Others as well. Good luck trying to prove it of course. Best thing to happen therefore is for PKP to hand off, give it up, do the right thing for the City, people, fans. But I doubt he will.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
ACTUALLY, K, you rarely see JJ involved in the day to day between Delaware North, and the NHL, Charlie Jacobs is likely the one overseeing the operations of the Bruins, because fans have heard more from him as the years progress....

Ya, I was aware that theres been a transition going on down there, passing of the torch so to speak. Charlie taking the lead somewhat. Hopefully he's more enlightened, more progressive & open minded than the Old Man uh? Seems to be. I do respect Jeremy Jacobs, appreciate his passion for the game, obvious love thereof, extremely generous, various charities & so on in Massachusetts, throughout New England, Buffalo. Theres lots to like however, plenty to dislike as well. When a guys hero's, role models & mentors were people like Bill Wirtz then Quebec City & I believe Houston, we have a problem. However, as with everyone we have to deal with the good & the bad. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Blue Warriors

Apr 11, 2012
St-Lawrence River
Population - 21m in Florida, 8m in Quebec ... all about "growth potential"

Oh and all the snowbirds from Quebec going to Florida during hockey season!
There’s another way to look at it:
Number of major pro teams : Quebec - 1 for 8,4 m; Florida - 9 for 21 m. Colorado has 4 teams for a population of 5,6 m. But of course there’s no growth potential in Quebec.

Last edited:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
There’s another way to look at it:
Number of major pro teams : Quebec - 1 for 8,4 m; Florida - 9 for 21 m. Colorado has 4 teams for a population of 5,6 m. But of course there’s no growth potential in Quebec.
Growth potential means growth rates of the city. Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix are all growing way faster then Quebec City. Plus the players are going to whine about taxes and language.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Growth potential means growth rates of the city. Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix are all growing way faster then Quebec City. Plus the players are going to whine about taxes and language.

Meh, per those standards all players, even those from Boston, NYC, Pittsburgh, Chicago and others will all be looking to sign in Vegas. Great tax rate, perfect weather, infinite entertainment value and a good chance at a cup.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
The BOG want nothing to do with PKP sitting on the board. Too polarizing a figure
More to this, I doubt the Molsons (and others on the BOG), want to be affiliated with the wingnut PQ Party and their Sovereignty ambissions

tarheelhockey

Offside Review Specialist
Feb 12, 2010
Bojangles Parking Lot

Remember that it's not just the players whining about taxes. NHL franchises are half-billion dollar businesses, and they pay taxes too. There's a reason that businesses in general relocate to places like Florida and Arizona.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Meh, per those standards all players, even those from Boston, NYC, Pittsburgh, Chicago and others will all be looking to sign in Vegas. Great tax rate, perfect weather, infinite entertainment value and a good chance at a cup.
Canadian players need to stop talking out of the both sides of their mouths. Players saw they want a team there, but will they play there.

Remember that it's not just the players whining about taxes. NHL franchises are half-billion dollar businesses, and they pay taxes too. There's a reason that businesses in general relocate to places like Florida and Arizona.
Agreed.
More to this, I doubt the Molsons (and others on the BOG), want to be affiliated with the wingnut PQ Party and their Sovereignty ambissions
Hardly a wingnut. It's just business for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad