Has Quebec City been priced out of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
No, Quebec will not be priced out of as a relocation option. People need to take the medium-long term view of this. Carolina has recently been partially sold to another investor with an agreement in place the franchise will remain in its current location for the next seven years. Not coincidentally this lines up with the end of the lease agreement on the arena. After that who know what happens. If the team continues to mired in mediocrity and is barely managing a profit, the owners may look at Quebec City as an option if they cannot agree to another lease or maybe a publicly funded arena closer to downtown.

Also, let's not forget the Florida Panthers. Remember the agreement they signed with the county for the $86 million in subsidies a couple years ago? A integral part of their deal with the county is they can look at relocation as an option if the team loses $100 million in 8 years - I believe we are in the second or third year of the deal. Considering the combination of extremely cheap tickets (just take a look at the price in various sections on ticketmaster compared to similar sections of arenas for other nhl teams) and low attendance and poor local tv contract, unless things turn around on the ice in the next few seasons there is a good probability the team will exceed those losses within the timeframe and look at relocation. Quebec will most certainly be an attractive option at that point.

I don't include Phoenix as they appear to clearly earmarked for relocation to Houston unless a miracle happens and they are able to secure a new taxpayer funded arena. Meanwhile one of the dark horses for relocation would be Ottawa as their owner is rumoured to be interested in selling and a new arena in the downtown area is far from a sure thing - I'm sure significant public investment will need to be involved. Imo, Quebec City could be used as a relocation threat if Melnyk or hypothetical new owners are not able to negotiate favorable terms for the new arena and surrounding development.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I agree Quebec City has a brand new arena all ready for an NHL. team & Hamilton dose have an ageing arena but I think they are going to do is not build a new one instead do what Seattle is doing & renovating there current one reason I say this is FirstOntario Center sits right in the middle of the downtown Hamilton & pretty much connected to a mall that has shops , places to eat , Sheraton hotel & plenty of parking so in my opinion you will see the Quebec Nordiques & Ontario (Hamilton) Tigers take the ice by 2030 & as for 2nd team in Toronto not going to happen because nobody in there right mind well over a billion dollars for a 2nd banana NHL. team to the leafs in Toronto .

You don't think Hamilton will be that 2nd banana team to Leafs? Hamilton isn't Toronto, but its quite close.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Quebec just has to be patient, take a long term approach and just hope that some new trend in arena construction that nobody has thought of at the moment doesn't render their building obsolete in the meantime.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
What is the difference between Quebec City and Winnipeg? Aside from more geographical isolation of Winnipeg from other NHL cities.

I am to understand Winnipeg has more corporations.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Nothing but an absolute joke to have the NHL to expand to some hipster city which barely supports an NFL team and lost an NBA team than to go to hockey crazy Quebec City. Bettman is nothing but a troll under the bridge. Can't wait until he Fs off from the NHL.

Oh, my, if only that were true (and shows how incorrect you are). All the blue, green, and silver '12's I see on cars, shirts, flags, etc. from people who got tired of living where it always rains and moved to the desert are getting more annoying than the cheeseheads and Blackhawk fans that live in AZ now.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
that ship has sailed as long as Jacobs remains chairman of the BOG, BK
Well maybe. But Jeremy Jacobs is old and Balsillie is still relatively young.

Pay no attention; he's been fantasizing about Hamilton in the NHL on here for years.

Can't say I blame him since he seems to be from Hamilton. But Hamilton realistically is too close to Toronto. They are within a relatively reasonable commuting distance.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
In all honesty, Quebec is a too small of a market.
But what other markets in the USA have passion that Quebec has OR have the size to compensate for lack of passion ?
Because once Seattle and Houston are filled in...League's gotta work hard to hope all 32 pieces hold strong where ever they are.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
In all honesty, Quebec is a too small of a market.
But what other markets in the USA have passion that Quebec has OR have the size to compensate for lack of passion ?
Because once Seattle and Houston are filled in...League's gotta work hard to hope all 32 pieces hold strong where ever they are.

Pretty much this.

6 1/2 years ago if it wasn't for a 25 million dollar 'insurance policy' from Glendale, the league was going to have 2 teams that needed to be moved and Winnipeg was the most viable place that had the 3 boxes checked (ownership, arena and market) to take one in short notice.

Seattle will be off the board shortly and there are still a few teams with an uncertain future....only one Houston which may end up taking the ice before Seattle does.

Hence Quebec has to go with the long plan.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
It's been painfully obvious the NHL wants no part of Quebec city. They literally set up the conferences for 2 new Western teams. QC never had a chance.

One of the things I appreciate about GB and the NHL is that they absolutely hate relocating teams. I stopped watching the NFL entirely when they let Spanos rip the Chargers from San Diego. The NHL is right to try and make it work even in struggling markets. It's too bad QC lost their team before the NHL was profitable enough to adopt that position. They should have never lost their team in the first place.

Sadly, Quebec City's purpose is to be used as leverage against city councils across North America until their stadium is old enough to not be considered NHL worthy 30 years from now.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
What happened in QC is a good warning to others: don't proceed with your arena plan unless you've got people involved who can get an unofficial green light from the NHL.

If the Canadian dollar rebounds to above 90 cents USD, Bettman agrees to keep the price at $500m, and Quebecor can come up with the cash, I think they might still get a franchise. But it's going to be a hard sell for the Board of Governors to give a discount to a team that is likely going to be a significant drag on revenues.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Interesting point on QC today from SXM.

It was mentioned how QC hired buses to take folks to NYI and other locations, kinda "demanding" relocation to their place.

Meanwhile, Vegas quietly did their thing, and Seattle theirs.

Could be that the NHL won't "bend" to fan will about QC, but instead pay attention to those who quietly work on potential expansion/relocation.

(And on that vein, some fans calling in today suggesting that folks do not want Houston to get NHL team after NBA owner chased AHL from market.)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

It was mentioned how QC hired buses to take folks to NYI and other locations, kinda "demanding" relocation to their place.

Could be that the NHL won't "bend" to fan will about QC, but instead pay attention to those who quietly work on potential expansion/relocation.

(And on that vein, some fans calling in today suggesting that folks do not want Houston to get NHL team after NBA owner chased AHL from market.)

Yea that's one way of not convincing the league to give your team back. One thing that Leiweke has said that you never get ahead of the league

Oh good grief. Those fans need to realize that owner that chased away the AHL no longer is involved.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

I find that far-fetched and silly...

#1 - Nordiques Nation is a fan group. It's not like Quebecor hired people to put on 'Diques gear to try and strong-arm the NHL.

#2 - It's not like Seattle and Las Vegas COULD make those kind of trips if they wanted to. You can't deck a team out in their old vintage sweaters and say "We want a team back" when there's never been a team in Vegas, and the Metropolitans folded in 1924.

#3 - Quebecor (I almost said "The Nordiques") are playing ball with the NHL. They're doing what's asked. They're not creating a stir. They've issued three statements: "We will do what it takes to get a team." "We submitted a bid, and that's all we're going to say." and "We're disappointed, but not stopping. Our goal is a team in QC."

#4 - The NHL deferred their bid, not denied their bid.
In a statement, the NHL said club owners concluded that a lack of geographical balance -- many more teams in the Eastern portion of the United States and Canada -- plus a belief it would be better not to try and bring in multiple teams at once and the dollar devaluation issue made this the wrong time for going into Quebec City.

It sounds like the only thing Quebec did to offend the NHL was NOT BE WEST of Detroit.

Which is why people should not be acting like Seattle getting a team is some kind of hindrance to QC getting a team in the future. This is a step TOWARDS Quebec getting a team.

Daly: "I don't think today's events have any impact on Quebec City," deputy commissioner Bill Daly said Thursday. "If I wanted to be positive, I'd say one of the things we kept harping on is that we need another team in the West before we consider expanding in the East. If, if, if Seattle submits an expansion application and is approved by the board, then you have your other team in the West and you've solved your balance issue."

Las Vegas became the 15th Western Team.
Les Alexander sold the Rockets to a man interested in the NHL, they could be 16?
Seattle got an arena. They look like a lock to be 16.

That leaves Quebec and Houston.

The next steps are Carolina & Arizona.
"Does Carolina get on track financially, or are they going to want to move when their lease is up?"
"Does Arizona get on track financially, or are they going to need to move?"

If those two answers match each other, Quebec is golden.

Reactions: Hal1971

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Carolina is not going anywhere and may not go anywhere after the lease is up. And i wouldn't be so sure the NHL goes beyond 32 teams given the possiblitys of running into situations where teams have to move and they need markets available for those teams.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm not sure how Quebec can be priced out of buying a team, while at the same time insisting that they are a far stronger market than anywhere else and would do a far better job of running a team than those in currently 'undesirable' locations. Surely if they're preordained to be such a successful business, then no (realistic) price can be too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad