Speculation: Has MacT made any comments since getting canned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He traded the Oilers' star player for peanuts. Shocking that the fan base would be mad at him.

And I don't blame anyone if they boo or criticize Lowe, he and his buddies destroyed this franchise. It's pretty laughable that you bring up Sather, who actually left a competitive team for Lowe and hasn't been with the Oilers for 15 years.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He traded the Oilers' star player for peanuts. Shocking that the fan base would be mad at him.

I don't blame anyone if they boo or criticize Lowe. He and his buddies destroyed this franchise. It's pretty laughable that you bring up Sather, who actually left a competitive team for Lowe and hasn't been with the Oilers for 15 years.

Sather's five cups were the worst thing to ever happen to the Oilers

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton

I don't blame anyone if they boo or criticize Lowe. He and his buddies destroyed this franchise. It's pretty laughable that you bring up Sather, who actually left a competitive team for Lowe and hasn't been with the Oilers for 15 years.

Stop bashing Lowe. Oiler fans are always bashing Lowe. Fans like you bashed Lowe out of town. He didn't deserve to be bashed.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

You probably never listened to John Short then. Slats left a mess when he left. To make matters worse, he weaseled himself out of Edmonton. He signed his own contract and made a 2-week window where he could leave. EIG didn't appreciate that and I don't blame them for that. The draft picks that Slats made were not the best. Drafting busts over better players. 1995 when the draft was held in Edmonton, everyone was yelling "Doan, Doan, Doan" and Slats drafts Kelly.

Slats lucked out is why he was successful. Lowe didn't start with Messier, Gretzky, Kuri, etc. Slats left a bare cupboard and Lowe had to replenish the minor system as well as the prospects as there weren't any there.

Lowe changed the entire scouting staff. Barry Fraser was a joke as he did his scouting from Mexico.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Stop bashing Lowe. Oiler fans are always bashing Lowe. Fans like you bashed Lowe out of town. He didn't deserve to be bashed.
Slats didn't need to be praised for every move but that's what happened. Can't remember where I read it but someone said that Lowe got criticized for the exact same moves that Slats was praised for. This same article also said that when Slats barely made the playoffs with the Oilers, he got praised but Lowe was criticized when the Oilers barely made the playoffs. There seemed to have been a double standard and that double standard still exists.

Another thing that needs to be said. Lowe was GM for 8 years and 4 of those years were in the non-cap years. Certain people keep saying the Slats was GM of the Oilers in the non-cap years but forget that half the time Lowe was GM was also in the non-cap years.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Even with a poor prospect pool Sather still managed to get the Oilers into the playoffs his last four seasons here. I don't even think Lowe was a terrible GM. He also put competitive teams together save for one season (2006-07).

I'd wager the majority of the hate for him comes from his time as POHO when he watched the franchise reach embarrassing, historic lows and did nothing to stop it. Just when it looked like things were going to get better he appointed his best friend as GM without interviewing anybody else.

You're blaming Sather and Tambellini for the massive issues that began or continued when neither were part of the organization. There has been one constant throughout the last fifteen years and it's Kevin Lowe.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Well, if you read it an article somewhere, it must mean every Oilers fan thinks like that. The old days of barely making the playoffs felt pretty damn great compared to how things have been going these past few years.

The Oilers' drafting hasn't been good even under Lowe, so you can stop acting like that's a positive for him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lowe has had 15 years here.

That's the fact of it, and in similar circumstances to organizations like Vancouver and Calgary and he's come up with far more mediocre results.

If not for one Cinderella playoff run in 2006, he'd be hands down the worst manager in professional sports, not just the NHL.

Even the LA Clippers have made the playoffs several times in the last few years and they were previously the biggest joke in pro sports.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Everything about Lowe is summed up in his interview where he insulted Burke like a child and said the Ducks are going "nowhere". Good call KBlowe!

Also: since 1992, the Oilers (correct me if I'm wrong) have been among the worst teams in the NHL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Edmonton_Oilers_seasons

See for yourself. Vancouver and Calgary while they don't have the cups Oilers do (from a generation that doesn't mean jack about today), they have much better and respectable records.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Slats is a black mark on the history of the franchise, we should have those cup wins stricken from the record since they are tainted by the miserable memory of that monster!

Hopefully I'm fitting in with the new theme of the thread

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Slats is a black mark on the history of the franchise, we should have those cup wins stricken from the record since they are tainted by the miserable memory of that monster!

Hopefully I'm fitting in with the new theme of the thread

Not enough use of the word "bash."

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Everything about Lowe is summed up in his interview where he insulted Burke like a child and said the Ducks are going "nowhere". Good call KBlowe!

Also: since 1992, the Oilers (correct me if I'm wrong) have been among the worst teams in the NHL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Edmonton_Oilers_seasons

See for yourself. Vancouver and Calgary while they don't have the cups Oilers do (from a generation that doesn't mean jack about today), they have much better and respectable records.
Lowe had every right to bash that blowhard. Why didn't the stupid NHL do anything when that blowhard bashed the Oilers 3 times. NHL didn't do anything but when the Oilers fought back, the NHL intervened. Where was the intervention when that idiot Burke constantly bashed the Oilers non-stop. Burke got what he deserved.

The idiot Burke destroyed Lowe's career as did Pronger. Can't forget Pronger. Prior to Pronger wanting out, none of this happened. Everyone wanted out because of that moron Pronger. Idiots believe Pronger or was it Andy Strickland who said Oilers fans burned Pronger's baby cribs furniture. Since that was made public, players have avoided Edmonton. TSN constantly saying no one wants to go Edmonton and everyone wants out. When Laraque left, TSN said that another player wanted out of Edmonton. This crap has been happening since Pronger wanted out. Pronger should be blamed for a lot of this.

I still think that Lowe was forced by EIG to tender those Offer Sheets. EIG threatened to fire Lowe if he didn't improve the team after the Smyth trade. EIG didn't give Lowe enough money to re-sign Smyth and when Smyth was traded threatened to fire him if he didn't improve the team but wouldn't give him the budget to improve the team. Cal Nichols intervened so Lowe wasn't fired. EIG didn't up the budget until Katz wanted to buy the team. At that time, it was too late to re-sign Smyth.

EIG may have saved the team but they nearly destroyed the team when they forced Slats out of town and almost forced Lowe out of town as well. Lowe would have resigned if EIG had remained owners and I wonder if the team would still be in Edmonton if that happened.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
Lowe had every right to bash that blowhard. Why didn't the stupid NHL do anything when that blowhard bashed the Oilers 3 times. NHL didn't do anything but when the Oilers fought back, the NHL intervened. Where was the intervention when that idiot Burke constantly bashed the Oilers non-stop. Burke got what he deserved.

I give this post three bashes out of five.

Why is it ok for Lowe to bash Burke, but not for anyone to bash Lowe? Seems like a double standard does it not?

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

And I don't blame anyone if they boo or criticize Lowe, he and his buddies destroyed this franchise. It's pretty laughable that you bring up Sather, who actually left a competitive team for Lowe and hasn't been with the Oilers for 15 years.
Perhaps EIG should take some blame in that as well. In Oil Change, the first season on TSN, Lowe said if he had to do it again, he'd start the rebuild as soon as Pronger wanted out.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
bash.jpg

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I also recall certain fans calling Lowe a coward because he didn't attend the game. Lowe didn't attend the game because he knew fans would attack him. Every trade the Oilers have made since Slats left has been criticized by certain fans.

BTW, Lowe and Messier spent time together after the ceremony. Lowe was right not to attend the ceremony because of the attitude certain fans have towards Lowe.

According to TSN, the changes to management were made because of certain Oilers fans.

certain oilers fans...also known as the majority of oilers fans / season ticket holders

Don't bash certain oilers fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad