Has anyone given away more talent than Ottawa in the last 5 years?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Off the top of my head Boston has easily traded more with few results in return. Wheeler,Kessel,Seguin,Hamilton etc. It's incredible that they've found a way to remain so good.

image.jpg

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Oh, I'm well aware. Bergeron,Marchand,Pastrnak,Mcavoy etc. For most teams, it would be a death blow trading what they traded with such little in return. Boston is very underrated for how well they draft. As a Leafs fan, it's frustrating in a sense.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I feel it is appropriate to post this after Melnyk's latest letter to the fans, words no one believes.

I learned today that you can make a semi-decent hockey team made up of players that Ottawa has given away in the last 5 years. Can any team come close to this? The D is awful but other than that it's a full team that could hold its own in the NHL right now.

(Includes trades, the Vegas expansion draft, and free agency)

Team Former Sens Set Free (since March 1, 2013)

Viktor Stalberg - Mika Zibanejad - Jakob Silfverberg
Derick Brassard - Kyle Turris - Jason Spezza
Shane Prince - Nate Thompson - Alex Chiasson
Matt Puempel - Nick Shore - Cory Conacher
Tommy Wingels, Curtis Lazar

Marc Methot - Dion Phaneuf
Ian Cole - Patrick Wiercioch
Johnny Oduya - Eric Gryba
Andre Benoit

Ben Bishop
Robin Lehner
Andrew Hammond

-

Interested to see if other teams can come close to this. I hope not, because no fanbase should go through this

There are only a few guys in there I really miss. Every team loses players. Either through trade or free agency. A number of those guys were never much at the nhl level anyway, some are 4th liners, some are 6th/7th defenceman, some have not had success elsewhere.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
You could make a pretty decent team of former Rangers

Miller-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Brasard-Grabner
Staal-Dubinsky-Callahan
Anisimov-Boyle-Duclair

With Gaborik, Pouliot and Lindberg thrown in there.

McDonagh-Girardi
Stralman-Yandle
Del Zotto- Moore

With Raanta And Talbot in net I think this lineup would have the advantage over the former Ottawa team

Edit: totally forgot about Eric Staal and Keith Yandle. Adding them and yeah that's a team that could probably compete for a playoff spot

Last edited:

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Can add Gaborik and Yandle to the list.

5 players remain from the Rangers' 2014 team. Kreider, Zuccarello, Lundqvist, Staal and Fast. Insane amount of turnover in 4 years.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
You could make a pretty decent team of former Rangers

Miller-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Brasard-Grabner
Staal-Dubinsky-Callahan
Anisimov-Boyle-Duclair

With Gaborik, Pouliot and Lindberg thrown in there.

McDonagh-Girardi
Stralman-Yandle
Del Zotto- Moore

With Raanta And Talbot in net I think this lineup would have the advantage over the former Ottawa team

Edit: totally forgot about Eric Staal and Keith Yandle. Adding them and yeah that's a team that could probably compete for a playoff spot

Nice, well done & agreed.. No wonder both of these teams have to rebuild.. New York is set up better for that though.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
Off the top of my head Boston has easily traded more with few results in return. Wheeler,Kessel,Seguin,Hamilton etc. It's incredible that they've found a way to remain so good.
They play in the East. Would be a different story in the meat grinder that is the west.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd be really curious to see what teams look like with this. Edmonton sticks out as an option, especially if you include Barzal as a player Edmonton gave up Dubnyk, Hall, Eberle, Perron, Perry, Schultz....that's not a bad start.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Bruins won the Cup after dealing Wheeler.Hamilton wanted out.Kessel they could not afford but Burke give them the picks one which was Hamilton.He could have offer sheeted and Bruins would lost him for nothing.Seguin I agree but again Leafs give them that one too.And where did Rask come from.Yup Leafs again for Raycroft.This game is easy.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Thrive

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They just don’t know.

The Oilers win this thread and its not even close.

How so? Hall is obviously a big one, but there's not much egregious after that. There's Eberle, Cogliano, Petry and Schultz, then Perron, but a lot of teams were passing him around before this year. It's not a bad list, but nothing that stands out. You have to have talent to give it away and the Oilers haven't had all that much in recent years besides their 1st rounders.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
This is a terrible post that you wouldnt have made had you looked at other teams around the league.

This isn't a good roster. There are maybe 7 or 8 top6D or top9F. Arguably, not a single top-line player.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
How so? Hall is obviously a big one, but there's not much egregious after that. There's Eberle, Cogliano, Petry and Schultz, then Perron, but a lot of teams were passing him around before this year. It's not a bad list, but nothing that stands out. You have to have talent to give it away and the Oilers haven't had all that much in recent years besides their 1st rounders.

Who’s Minnesota’s starting goaltender? Oilers (extremely mishandled) draft pick.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
That isn't even that bad. That fantasy lineup is straight up awful and many of those trades Ottawa got good value on.

Boston is way worse. They've given up multiple high end talents at extremely young ages for peanuts.

Thornton and Seguin are both franchise players. Add in guys line Hamilton too.
Thornton was traded 13 years ago...

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Hawks cap purge team

Panarin-Teuvo Teravanien-Sharp

Saad(2015)-Bolland-Versteeg

Ladd-Vermette-Shaw

Harmtam-Kruger-Frolik

Big Buff-Leddy

Oduya-Hjalmarsson

Johns-Campbell (2011)

Niemi (when he was good)

Emery?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Former Oilers who have moved on since March 1st, 2013 and have played in the NHL this year:

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Maroon-Desharnais-Perron
Pitlick-Letestu-Yakupov
Pouliot-Hendricks-Jokinen
Paajarvi, Hemsky

Hunt-Petry
Oesterle-Schultz
Marincin-Davidson
Clendening

Dubnyk
Nilsson

That team is pretty terrible. But that is a function of having been such a terrible team for so many years. Wouldn't be surprised if plenty of other teams could match or beat this just because other teams have been icing more legit NHLers over the past 5 seasons than Edmonton.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Don't forget Yakupov. Oh wait...I forgot about the talent part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad