Has any team wasted an entire year like Calgary?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What a horrible year for Calgary. They had their league leading defence, their best player is playing far above his usual production, the entire lineup is filled out with as many players that draft picks can buy, they got a new #1 goalie that actually played decent, and yet all this going right they miss the playoffs. And barely any draft picks to get better.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I love the defence - "but the oilers" - to make bad things seem less bad. Oilers will probably be blamed if they lose their team too... "If the Edmonton didn't give katz that deal, we wouldn't be threatened with relocation".

Most Canadian teams suck hard this year..just the way she goes. Go jets

Reactions: Devonator

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Blues kinda. They didn't mean to. Just imploded after a few injuries.

Had ZERO forward depth without Fabbri/Schwartz. Steen regressed big time. Take those 3 out and trade Stastny and now Brodziak is your 2nd center.

They may make the playoffs but will be an easy out. They're wasting Schwartz/Pietrangelo/Tarasenkos prime.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It was a midfire from the organization. It happens.

Kings traded mid 1st + Colin Miller + Martin Jones for one year of Lucic only to flame out in the first round.

You can argue it's a wasted year, but a wasted year is never catastrophic if the GM is able and willing to right the ship.

Reactions: Cellee

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If (when) Calgary misses the playoffs, they won't have their 1st 2nd 3rd & 5th round pick this year.
This is something Brian Burke would do, wait...........

Burkie might as well come out and say draft smaft, and take his mask off, and reveal he is really Cliff Fletcher!! lol

Everywhere he goes, draft picks mean nothing.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yeah eventually, although we had to endure a decade of what the Flames team looks like now.

But the Flames have been bad or middling for a long time. Since they won the Cup in 1989, they have won four playoff rounds, three on them in one year (losers in the Cup final). 13 years not making the playoffs.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
This is something Brian Burke would do, wait...........

Burkie might as well come out and say draft smaft, and take his mask off, and reveal he is really Cliff Fletcher!! lol

Everywhere he goes, draft picks mean nothing.

How dare you criticize Brian the Brian Burke. He is the smartest person in the NHL, maybe the whole world.:sarcasm: And if the Flames aren't doing well, it's the media's fault.:huh: Putting too much pressure on our players. No, his bad teams it's never the fault or management, coaching or the players.

Reactions: BLONG7

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo is just now using some lineup combinations tried by Bylsma last season, which was also a complete waste of time. They've done it two years in a row with two different regimes. Mindboggling.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
How dare you criticize Brian the Brian Burke. He is the smartest person in the NHL, maybe the whole world.:sarcasm: And if the Flames aren't doing well, it's the media's fault.:huh: Putting too much pressure on our players. No, his bad teams it's never the fault or management, coaching or the players.
LOL...feel bad for flames fans, with Burkie at the helm...

Why did they gut themselves of so many draft picks? But it could be worse guys, you could have Marc Bergevin...the Habs will be years digging out from his mess.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Calgary has Hamonic that is better than anything they were getting with those picks, they have a team that didn't have one of the all time worst seasons, they have a team that isn't paying 12 million for one guy and major salary cap concerns going forward with huge holes.]

Every year teams make those draft picks and end up with nothing because they miss on them is that any different than not making the picks? You end up with the same result.

I guess it sounds way more edgy and hot take-y to try and spin it this way but of course this isn't close to the biggest waste of a season in recent memory or even this season.
Hamonic is hot garbage and one of the reasons the Flames are not in the playoffs. Sorry!

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Calgary has Hamonic that is better than anything they were getting with those picks, they have a team that didn't have one of the all time worst seasons, they have a team that isn't paying 12 million for one guy and major salary cap concerns going forward with huge holes.]

Every year teams make those draft picks and end up with nothing because they miss on them is that any different than not making the picks? You end up with the same result.

I guess it sounds way more edgy and hot take-y to try and spin it this way but of course this isn't close to the biggest waste of a season in recent memory or even this season.
Isles could end up with Rasmus Dahlin, Zadina or Sveshnikov with one of those picks. Your opening sentence is ridiculous.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018

Having picks means you have a chance to land guys. No picks = zero chance

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Isles could end up with Rasmus Dahlin, Zadina or Sveshnikov with one of those picks. Your opening sentence is ridiculous.

And any of those could turn into crap.

Or we could have traded them a 6th round pick for Hamonic that turned into a superstar.

And we traded our chance to pick guys for a player that helps us more in Hamonic.

It is like this is the first time some of you have seen a deal of a player for picks.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
And any of those could turn into crap.

Or we could have traded them a 6th round pick for Hamonic that turned into a superstar.

And we traded our chance to pick guys for a player that helps us more in Hamonic.

It is like this is the first time some of you have seen a deal of a player for picks.
Hamonic is a pile of steaming crap the last 2 years. Trying to defend that move just shows your lack of sense. It was a horrifying trade and one that I’m sure Brad T wishes he could take back.

Reactions: vcanuck

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Im not sure why people think so highly of Hamonic. He's a decent D-man but not someone I would give up a boatload of picks for.

I think San Jose paid a lot less for Brent Burns just for perspective.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Im not sure why people think so highly of Hamonic. He's a decent D-man but not someone I would give up a boatload of picks for.

I think San Jose paid a lot less for Brent Burns just for perspective.

Burns trade was expensive at the time. Setoguchi was a 30G scorer before and Coyle was a first rounder and then add 2011 first. Basically on HF that would be three 1st round picks - yes I know it does work that way but the logic here is often false.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
While true, they also have no cap room, a horrible defence, and a sub-par goalie (who could be good). Not saying the Flames haven't wasted the year (they totally did a ARGH!!!) but Edmonton isn't much better at this point. Even Gretzky needed team mates to win a cup!
That "HORRIBLE D" with an injured Klefbom and Sekera most of the year isn't far off CGY in goals allowed. What does that make CGY's D? LOL

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Hamonic is a pile of steaming crap the last 2 years. Trying to defend that move just shows your lack of sense. It was a horrifying trade and one that I’m sure Brad T wishes he could take back.
I would rather have Matt Benning over Hamonic. Hamonic is "just there". Space filler. Cannot name 1 single thing he does well. TERRIBAD trade. Mind numbing inept GM there.

Hamilton is having a great year
JG probably hit his peak points wise
Monohan had a good year
tkachuk had a good year
Smith was great until the end

They completely choked down the stretch. Like 3 out of 11 wins when they needed them. No PP goals scored the last 12 games.

This other stat was mindboggling. Flames have 4 playoff series wins in 30 years? Even the Oilers with their decade of darkness have like 14 since then....

Reactions: vcanuck

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Looks like Burke would learn the first time that trading a bunch of picks for player before the season starts is not a good idea. At least “lottery protect” the 1st round pick.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad