Has any team wasted an entire year like Calgary?

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It wasn't a wasted year but yes plenty of teams have, even this year.

The Oilers had Connor McDavid on a ELC and their season was over in November that is a bigger waste.

The Avs had MacKinnon, Duchene, Landeskog and Rantanen and wasted that with a all time awful season.
But next year Edmonton still has McDavid, and has their picks this year. Last year the Avs kept their picks, and drafted Makar and Timmins. Calgary has nothing.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
But next year Edmonton still has McDavid, and has their picks this year. Last year the Avs kept their picks, and drafted Makar and Timmins. Calgary has nothing.

Calgary has Hamonic that is better than anything they were getting with those picks, they have a team that didn't have one of the all time worst seasons, they have a team that isn't paying 12 million for one guy and major salary cap concerns going forward with huge holes.]

Every year teams make those draft picks and end up with nothing because they miss on them is that any different than not making the picks? You end up with the same result.

I guess it sounds way more edgy and hot take-y to try and spin it this way but of course this isn't close to the biggest waste of a season in recent memory or even this season.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Nope, really not, starting up a topic that mirrors other topics that are clearly label just shows that you're not very smart.
I actually just posted it after talking with my buddy about Calgary. He's a fan. I didn't search through the forum posts. I thought it was funny. It is funny.

I did read that Calgary has only won 4 rounds in 29 years. That's also funny.

Reactions: Devonator

Thndrstruck

Sep 3, 2011
Calgary
While true, they also have no cap room, a horrible defence, and a sub-par goalie (who could be good). Not saying the Flames haven't wasted the year (they totally did a ARGH!!!) but Edmonton isn't much better at this point. Even Gretzky needed team mates to win a cup!

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
While true, they also have no cap room, a horrible defence, and a sub-par goalie (who could be good). Not saying the Flames haven't wasted the year (they totally did a ARGH!!!) but Edmonton isn't much better at this point. Even Gretzky needed team mates to win a cup!
I'm not saying Edmonton didn't waste this year's potential. I was just surprised to hear that Calgary has no picks.

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017
Islanders. We were contending in the first half, disastrous in the second. And this is in JT's contract year. And one of Barzal, Pulock, and Beauvillier's entry level years

Reactions: bigtim1988

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I'm not saying Edmonton didn't waste this year's potential. I was just surprised to hear that Calgary has no picks.

But they got something for those picks, something that actually is better than what they likely get from those picks.

This isn't a case where they dealt away a 1st and a 2nd for Griffin Reinhart who couldn\t make the NHL they don't have the picks because they were moved for better pieces.

Reactions: Anglesmith

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Calgary has Hamonic that is better than anything they were getting with those picks, they have a team that didn't have one of the all time worst seasons, they have a team that isn't paying 12 million for one guy and major salary cap concerns going forward with huge holes.]

Every year teams make those draft picks and end up with nothing because they miss on them is that any different than not making the picks? You end up with the same result.

I guess it sounds way more edgy and hot take-y to try and spin it this way but of course this isn't close to the biggest waste of a season in recent memory or even this season.
It'd be pretty bad if the Flames win the lottery and have to watch the Islanders select Dahlin. Or if they even were to win one of the other top-3 picks.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What’s with all the CGY bashing? At least they’re going for it and making moves to try and improve. Things happen. Before the season everyone predicted them as a strong team and likely playoff team. The games aren’t played on paper.

They’re not far off and with some retooling can have a quick turnaround.

That being said, as an islanders fan I wouldn’t mind it if they stayed healthy for the rest of the season but lost all remaining games. LoL

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Every season you don't win the Cup is a waste by that standard. It's a bit of a silly point to make, because those picks weren't going to help the Flames be better next year, anyway.

Definitely a disappointing season, but they have every opportunity to fix things for next year.

It would be a waste if there was some kind of time limit on keeping this team together, but there really isn't.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It'd be pretty bad if the Flames win the lottery and have to watch the Islanders select Dahlin. Or if they even were to win one of the other top-3 picks.

It would be bad optically but since that would be entirely because of luck and lottery balls it would be unlikely that they would have had the same outcome had they kept the pick.

It would be much worse if they had finished last and the Islanders got the 1st pick because the pick had the highest chance, that I agree would have been a disaster, but I am not going to get caught up too much in the luck of the lottery.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The
What’s with all the CGY bashing? At least they’re going for it and making moves to try and improve. Things happen. Before the season everyone predicted them as a strong team and likely playoff team. The games aren’t played on paper.

They’re not far off and with some retooling can have a quick turnaround.

That being said, as an islanders fan I wouldn’t mind it if they stayed healthy for the rest of the season but lost all remaining games. LoL
They didn't "go for it" they completely choked during their playoff run. Lost most games by 3-4 goals. Fell off the map.

Reactions: Devonator

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
Dallas is doing a great job at wasting Benn and Seguin's prime. Benn is on the decline and Seguin likely peaked.

Jamie Benn had 77 GP 26 G 43 A 69 PTS last season, this season so far he has 74 GP 27 G 41 A 68 PTS, so it's not decline. Seguin is just outclassing him as the leader of the team. If Stars doesn't make the playoffs with 2 superstars like Benn and Seguin it's wasted season of course. Last season injuries wasted both Lightning and Stars season, this year as many people predicted Lightning are the best team in the league, while the Stars were on the road to play-offs, they now hit the losing streak and may not make post-season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I just want to say that as a Flames fan, this would be preferable by far to seeing him to a team in the Pacific. Makes no difference to our future where the pick lands.

Also the lottery would've been entirely different without that trade anyway, so it wouldn't be as if we gave up Dahlin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad