Has any team wasted an entire year like Calgary?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The Wings wasted

12-13
13-14
14-15
15-16
16-17

Five seasons trying to compete after Lidstrom retired. They obviously weren't good enough but Holland didn't care. He didn't make any moves to get us over the top. He kept buying mediocre vets every deadline (except for 16-17) and every off-season. Signed a bunch of mediocre players long term too.

What a waste of half a decade. Now that his maintenance of the status quo is beginning to fail he finally got it through to his head that he has to rebuild.

He wastes some prime Datsyuk and Zetterberg years there without even trying to get them a cup.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Define terrible. Was he bad the first 20 games on a new team learning a new system, yup. But he has been far from terrible the remainder of the year. Ask any Flames fan, you'll not hear too many people claiming they want him off the team. He makes the defense better, not worse.

Stop listening to the group think on HF......

I live in Calgary and go to many flames games at the dome....he’s far from being good and hasn’t made the flames defence any better then it was previous. He brings no offence and is pretty sub par defensively. He has regressed 3 straight years now....

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The Flames did not want Edmonton to acquire any d-men so they out bid the Oilers for every single one.

The fact that they needed a few more years of drafting was lost on them. Now they are stuck in purgatory because of those decisions.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It wouldn't be that bad. Optically it would look undesirable but most Flames fans are fine if the Isles win the lottery because it keeps Dahlin out of the Pacific/West. Where the pick lands really doesn't impact us much at all.
I'm sorry but that would be a lot worse than Boston getting the 2nd overall pick in 2010 via Toronto from the Phil Kessel trade. The headlines would be how the Flames traded away the 1st overall pick.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
People are so misinformed about Hamonic's play it's hilarious. But it's not like anyone other than Oilers fans watch the Flames anyway

mcdraividmoto

Sep 28, 2017
I remember reading a stat that last year after November the flames only beat a playoff team 3 times in regulation when they played their starting goalie. Everyone was in love with them because of the 10 game win streak, but I wasn't surprised when they got swept.

Same thing this year. Basically a 500 team with one 7 game win streak. They are a bubble to below bubble team and vastly overrated. Something tells me next year won't be any better because their management seems to think they are more of a contender than they really are and is highly overvaluing their players.

Reactions: McIce Whole

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I have neither the time nor the inclination to read all the other pages in this thread but what part of the Hurricanes have wasted this entire year and several others is not clear?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
My Leafs used to be the superlative squnderers of the league. For every wound we had the Bandaid solution. Thankfully that has changed.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My Leafs used to be the superlative squnderers of the league. For every wound we had the Bandaid solution. Thankfully that has changed.
It's funny how Brian Burke was apart of those Leafs teams under their old management regime and that's happening now with him as the Flames President.

Reactions: TTF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad