Has a "soft" player ever toughened up and played hard?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Laperriere was never a "soft" player, but he was known as a hit-and-run guy and a spot-picker at the start of his career.

He flipped a switch in 98-99 and started fighting more in general along with better competition. Went on to lead the league in fights the following season, going on to a long career that ended with him being dubbed one of the real warriors of the NHL and one of the last of his kind upon retirement.

The difference in the amount of respect he had at the start of his career and at the end is pretty massive.

Mad Brills*

phil kessel in 2009 vs phil kessel 2014 - present is different.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Blake Wheeler comes to mind first. He had no idea how to use his size in Boston, at all.

To be fair to him, he did TRY. More than Hayes does at least.

At the end of his time here Wheeler would actually get in the faces of players who picked on Krejci.

It just wasn't enough.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
You're born with a mean streak, imo. I don't think a player who genuinely plays 'soft' can start playing 'hard'. But you need to define hard... Like mucking it up in the corners or standing up for themselves and throwing hits?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
You're born with a mean streak, imo. I don't think a player who genuinely plays 'soft' can start playing 'hard'. But you need to define hard... Like mucking it up in the corners or standing up for themselves and throwing hits?

Nah. Sweet little puppies can be kicked until they are mean and man is no different beast.

ForSpareParts*

I seem to remember Grapes highlighting Olli Jokinen a couple of times. Not exactly changing big, but not backing down when gloves were dropped.

IMG_00000408.jpg

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think people just get angrier as they age, so naturally a player will get tougher as they get older. At least that's my experience, I'm turning into an angry old man :laugh:

Haha. Often times the opposite will happen. As guys age, if they have offensive skills, they may shy away from physical contact a little more in order to avoid gassing themselves too badly (Iginla is the most obvious example I can think of; he went from a pure power forward to more of a sniper, albeit one who does still lay a hit or two occasionally).

Mikael Backlund was accused of being too soft earlier in his career, and he definitely plays with some stank these days.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I seem to remember Grapes highlighting Olli Jokinen a couple of times. Not exactly changing big, but not backing down when gloves were dropped.

IMG_00000408.jpg

Jokinen dropped the gloves with Bill Guerin when he was a King, so that would probably have been in 1998-99 as a 21 year old rookie.

He even finished with over 100 PIMs one year.

He was never "soft", per se.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Adam Larsson's career did a 180 once he started playing more physical thanks to Stevens.

It definitely helped to round out his game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
phil kessel in 2009 vs phil kessel 2014 - present is different.

He's still ultra soft.

Someone mentioned Marcus Johansson. While I have to agree that he likes to throw the occasional hit, he doesn't do it enough. He has speed and decent size, he could be a monster on the forecheck if he could just adopt an aggressive mentality. That's not his game though, soft Swede will always be soft.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Brett Hull. Not that he was ever butter soft, but he was quite a different player in St. Louis than he was in Dallas and later. Harder to play against in all zones and very good defensively, whereas in St. Louis he was pretty much just a shooter, you wouldn't have wanted him out there in a grinding shut down situation.

He was like that in his last couple years with the Blues, to the point at which he was being heavily criticized for not being the huge scorer anymore. He played well in all zones and meatheads would boo him when he passed the puck instead of shooting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad