Has a player ever refused to get off the ice?

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I guess as OP I'll share my memory that comes to mind. It's not exactly what the OP is asking but I remember like 10 years ago Kovalev wasn't allowed to leave the ice because the coach was trying to prove a point to take shorter shift so we was left out there for 5 minutes only to score a goal and finally get off the ice!

Crazy stuff.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
There is a myth that Doug Harvey at one time played all 60 minutes of a game when the Habs had defence injuries. It is not verified, but some people say it happened.

I wonder today... if say Karlsson could actually just play the entire game and pace himself enough to be able to not be uselessly tired at times.

On an aside. I remember one Sens 3-3 OT last season. There literally was not any opportunity to change for almost 2:30 of the game for the Sens. I remember Turris and Hoffman almost dying on the ice because they were so tired.

Obviously 3-3 is way more tiring then normal 5-5 play. And the players were not just staying on the ice, they had no chance to change.

Maybe I am misremembering it a bit. Maybe it wasn't Hoffman but it definitely was Turris, and I think Karlsson. And I can't remember the outcome of the OT. Just that three guys, and definitely Turris was one of them... had to play 2:30 of OT straight. And they were so gassed. Like at the end they were just done. Like they did a triathlon.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Phil Esposito. Sinden used to scream at him to get off the ice and Phil would just laugh at him. He also famously refused to leave the ice in the closing minutes of the '72 Summit Series, staying on through two line changes, playing with the wingers of Bobby Clarke and Jean Ratelle, and finally assisting on the goal to win it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Phil Esposito. Sinden used to scream at him to get off the ice and Phil would just laugh at him. He also famously refused to leave the ice in the closing minutes of the '72 Summit Series, staying on through two line changes, playing with the wingers of Bobby Clarke and Jean Ratelle, and finally assisting on the goal to win it.

Wow! Lucky for Canada he did that!

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Like when a line change is made by the coach, has a player ever straight up refused to get off the ice so that the player leaving the bench had to go back there?

Anything similar to this ever been done? I'm just wondering if a coach has ever been blatantly ignored by a player.

Sorry if this is kind of a "mid-summer" type thread, but I'm curious, and Google is failing me.

Yes.

One time towards the end of a Blues game in LA Head Coach Brian Sutter was trying to call Sutter [sic] off the ice but Hull kept waving him off. Finally at a stoppage of play Sutter told Sergio Momesso to go replace Hull. Hull still refused to leave the ice and Momesso skated back to the bench. After about a two and a half minute shift Hull buried the game winner with about 20 seconds left in the game. After the goal Hull skated to the bench and calmly said “Were not going into overtime in Los Angeles.†Obviously Hull had other plans in mind.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Not really the same but I remember one time Kirk Muller yelled at Cammalleri to stay on the ice, and Cammalleri scored later on his elongated shift.

Internet Explorer

Better than Chrome
Sep 14, 2009
Internet
Krazy that someone would even think to disrespect their coach like that.
Of course if someone were to do that, they would be destroyed on HF.
Violence would be the only thing that could remove such a player.
You think a good ole Canadian would do something like that? I doubt it.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
A Russian for the Rag's once had a 9 minute shift. Might have been 11 minutes.
Scored 2 goals during it, and drew 3 penalties.
Never played another game after that. No one knows what happened to him.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I seem to have a memory of a coach trying to pull Belfour but The Eagle wouldnt budge. I guess for once Eddie wouldnt go.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Henderson refused to get off the ice near the end of the Summit series final game, even there there were screams from the bench for him to do so, as he just "knew" he would score, and he did.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
OMG There was that one time where Alexei Kovalev fell into a gorilla enclosure for 5 minutes and Harambe died. How has no one mentioned this?

stubbadub

Jul 12, 2009
Nova Scotia
open.spotify.com
There's a video on YouTube that is pieced together to make it look like Kovalev was on the ice for five straight minutes, but you can't believe everything that's on the innerwebs. They just pieced together two different games from that season and made it look pretty good with editing and all that. He later went on to become the greatest player that sometimes played for the Montreal Canadiens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad