Confirmed with Link: Hartnell to Columbus for Umberger and a 4th Round Pick

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'll help you out and wear my CBJ attire when I fly into Redmond, OR next week. Have a trip to Bend for business. I'll spread the CBJ spirit in the NW! :)

Haha nice. Im up in Salem and there's absolutely no hockey here. I have to drive 45minutes+ just to play any hockey. After living in Worthington and having 5 rinks within 20 minutes of my house...it really sucks.

But i plan on being our personal Bjorkstrand scout this year. :)

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
well done Fro

I enjoyed the metrics and though I had not studied the numbers like that I am not surprised to find that Hartnell has such a high goals for average. The fact that his average is higher than anyone on the Jackets is a good sign.

I know when the deal was done folks were complaining about his speed, but I am thinking as long as he can get to the net our crease goals should go way up.

ernmorris

Jun 9, 2008
It's been over a month since this trade was consummated. Is there any doubt in anybody's mind, at this point, that we won this trade hands down?

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
It's been over a month since this trade was consummated. Is there any doubt in anybody's mind, at this point, that we won this trade hands down?

Not at all a hands down win. I feel like its a good short term upgrade (next 2 seasons), but the back end of the deal (years 3-5) could have us all singing a different tune.

I feel like this season is the sweet spot for us in many ways, and I like the deal in terms of what it brings to the scoring side of the team for 14-15. I expect a huge season from Bobrovsky, the bottom 6, and Jenner (contract years for all). My biggest fears are drop off seasons from Joey, Dubinsky, and injury risk to Horton.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Hartsy...love it. I'll definitely be getting one of those. And nobody in Oregon will have a clue what the hell a blue jacket is lol

A few years back I was in downtown Portland on business and getting in a quick run after dinner (had a CBJ t shirt on) when all of a sudden I hear this "Let's Go Jackets" chant from across the street, some young kid parking cars at a restaurant. You never know where you'll find CBJ fans.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Not at all a hands down win. I feel like its a good short term upgrade (next 2 seasons), but the back end of the deal (years 3-5) could have us all singing a different tune.

I feel like this season is the sweet spot for us in many ways, and I like the deal in terms of what it brings to the scoring side of the team for 14-15. I expect a huge season from Bobrovsky, the bottom 6, and Jenner (contract years for all). My biggest fears are drop off seasons from Joey, Dubinsky, and injury risk to Horton.

Agree 100%. Makes us better in short term, but he's older, longer contract...

That being said we have a window of opportunity (how long hopefully lot of years, but let's be honest it could just be a few years) and it helps us now. So good trade, but in a few years could be interesting.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
So he potentially becomes an Umberger a few years later, when the cap goes up and reduces the burden of an Umberger.

But we got rid of an Umberger now. Not seeing the problem.

I get that a lot of people liked him but he asked out. Not sure what people expected given that fact.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I would like to think so, but then again we haven't played a game.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

That being said we have a window of opportunity (how long hopefully lot of years, but let's be honest it could just be a few years) and it helps us now. So good trade, but in a few years could be interesting.

The way I see it, in five year he may deteriorate to the level RJ is today.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

The reason I am lukewarm on the deal is that I don't think our "championship window" has even started yet. In three years it will, though, and that's when its even more important not to be larded with bad contracts.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The reason I am lukewarm on the deal is that I don't think our "championship window" has even started yet. In three years it will, though, and that's when its even more important not to be larded with bad contracts.

I tend to agree but stranger things have happened. '69 Mets, '69 Jets, 1980 US hockey, etc.

In three years if Hartnell has deteriorated there is always the buyout. Cost would be 1.6 per for 4 years. I know the anti-buyout guys will cringe but it will be an affordable option to ditch his contract if need be.

I still would have preferred using a compliance on Umbie and building towards the championship window through the draft and maturing young prospects. My fear now is we become a tweener, making the playoffs and picking in the lower third of the draft.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

I understand where you are coming from.

I think Hartnell and Horton for that matter can be core players the next 2-3 years, beyond that you start to get into mid 30's which for most players become much less productive years. 3 years from now, Hartnell will be 36 with 2 years remaining on contract, Horton 32 with 3 years remaining.That's 10 million dollars annually we'll have tied up in aging veterans. I hope they are still kicking ass, but history says they'll be on the decline.

It's a young man's game. Doughty(24), Carter(29), Kopitar(26), these are the big 3 LA rode to the cup this season. Granted they also had a pair of 32 year olds that produced very well in the post season. However both of those players have had some very non productive, injury laden seasons as well.

I think we can make deep runs the next 3 seasons, and that's a compliment to the current and previous management. Beyond that, we'll need some creative roster management to take the next step. The Hartnell contract is a microcosm of that reality imo.

In three years if Hartnell has deteriorated there is always the buyout. Cost would be 1.6 per for 4 years. I know the anti-buyout guys will cringe but it will be an affordable option to ditch his contract if need be.

Very good point.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
It's a young man's game. Doughty(24), Carter(29), Kopitar(26), these are the big 3 LA rode to the cup this season. Granted they also had a pair of 32 year olds that produced very well in the post season. However both of those players have had some very non productive, injury laden seasons as well.

Justin Williams, 32 y.o. Conn Smythe Trophy.
Marian Gaborik, 33 y.o. in play-off 26 GP 14G+8A.
Very non productive?

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Justin Williams, 32 y.o. Conn Smythe Trophy.
Marian Gaborik, 33 y.o. in play-off 26 GP 14G+8A.
Very non productive?

You are referring to this post season. I believe I said they "produced very well".

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Meh,

I don't know what this age discussion is supposed to mean. We're going to have a young team again. We don't have the players that a team like LA has, no matter their age. At least not yet.

Hartnell has the opportunity to come in and do what he does best. He's a 16-17 minute winger who likes to shoot the puck and is good on the PP. He's a bit up and down, but he should score 20 or more goals. He could even reach 30. I think he would make a good fit with Dubinksy with Cam on the other wing.

Our RW is a little weak and lacks depth, especially with Horton and his tendency to miss a handful of games per season. I don't like our top line RW options all that much.

It's been 2010-11 since we've had a good season out of Umberger. We should have improved play, at least on the offensive end, from Hartnell. It's not like Umberger has been outstanding on the defensive end. A change was needed and I don't see how we would end up worse with Hartnell in the lineup.

I'll worry about his age when there is something to worry about. He seems to be aging better than Umberger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad