Confirmed with Link: Hartnell to Columbus for Umberger and a 4th Round Pick

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Umby has 1 goal, 2 assists and 9 PIM's in 14 games, it's not even close at the 14 game mark who got the best of this trade.

Absolute win at this time. I was very critical of taking on Hartnell's contract over the long haul, but the short term boost appears to be well worth the long term commitment at this point in the season. TBH he's been our best skater in several games this season after a slow start.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Absolute win at this time. I was very critical of taking on Hartnell's contract over the long haul, but the short term boost appears to be well worth the long term commitment at this point in the season. TBH he's been our best skater in several games this season after a slow start.

Yeah, without him we could have lost 7 in a row and be 4-9-1 :sarcasm:

Seriously he has looked much better than Umbie. Hopefully when everyone gets healthy we'll actually reap some benefits from the deal.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Yeah, without him we could have lost 7 in a row and be 4-9-1 :sarcasm:

Seriously he has looked much better than Umbie. Hopefully when everyone gets healthy we'll actually reap some benefits from the deal.

Well played !! :nod:

It will be interesting to see how Hartnell plays when we are near full strength, assuming that occurs at some point this season.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
From Caps GDT,

Here's a quote from Trotz on Hartnell:

Fourteen years ago tonight, Blue Jackets left wing Scott Hartnell scored his first NHL goal as an 18-year-old member of the Nashville Predators. Barry Trotz was behind the bench that night against the Boston Bruins.

“We were in an expansion era and he was 18 years old and we thought we could be patient with him but we didn’t have enough players that were good enough,†Trotz recalled.

“He was a real big body for us. We had a small team. What he continues to do is he always works hard. He goes to those hard areas. He always played with emotion on his sleeve. He was a good young player for us and he’s had a great career.

“If you’re going to find Scott Hartnell, there’s always a yard sale around him. There’s always debris, be it players or him or equipment. That’s from going to hard areas.

“On the ice he plays edgy and sort of raw and off the ice he’s as considerate and as nice a man you’re goig to meet in the game.â€

thebus2288*

So we give up Umberger and a 4th for a player at the same age who is signed longer (5 years) at a larger cap hit (4.75), who also is one of the cheaper players in the league?

Yeah, not gonna be happy about this. Still despise the guy from his days in Nashville. Don't think that makes us much better.

Hahahaha. For all you people who rode on RJ for the last few years are going to have a field day with Hartnell. We basically traded for a longer term more expensive RJ.

I know I will be one of the few, but I do not like this trade at all. I would have rather bought Umberger out. Not happy at all.

Wonder what this means for Jared Boll?

The worst contract on the team, just got worse.

Its going to take 25-30 goals a season to justify this contract and I don't honestly think Hartnell has that in him. I loved the guy in Philly, and I hope he can revive himself here, but I'm leaning half empty on this one.

Having watched both players extensively over the last few years while living in Philly, he's really not that much of an upgrade over RJU. He played primarily with the Giroux-Voracek pair and the majority of his production was mooching/slowing them down. I can't see him keeping up his past production on our team, especially with how much he's been slowing down. I agree with the posters saying he's going to be fulfilling the RJU fan doghouse role before too long.

Hartnell is a better player than RJ and he actually plays with grit and can score timely goals—this is a win for the CBJ.

Worry about the 2018-19 version of Hartnell later.

But now I REALLY don't see where Jared Boll fits on this team.

Not a fan of the player and HATE the contract. Just don't think it is a good fit and we could have done a lot better. I would rather we just bought out Umberger than take on this terrible contract.

Terrible move by Jarmo. I hate Hartnell's contract. This is just a bad move.

I'd rather have a 4th rounder.

I'll predict it goes like this.

2014/15 25G 35A - Fans are happy
2015/16 20G 25A - Fans are uneasy but patient
2016/17 15G 20A - Fans dismay about a 4.75 million dollar 3rd liner that we have on the books for 2 more years.

Oh yeah, he'll also lead the team in stupid penalties, guarantee that (that'll get Dubinsky off the hook at least).

This is going to be a moderate one year upgrade, maybe two.

Yeah, it's not the landslide they're making it out to be.

I'm pretty sure Hartnell had/has negative trade value, just like Umberger. And actually, before Hartnell salvaged his season, as of November, I would have said his contract was worse than Umberger's. We're talking Clarkson bad.

The guy has yet to play a game - in fact, it's June and he's been a Jacket for less than a day - and we're already discussing buying him out in 3 years?

:help:

I never really liked this deal. I can't imagine what Hartnell's motivation could be coming to Columbus. I think they're definitely on the upswing but I don't see Philly being a place anyone wants to leave. I think Umberger is probably really excited to be playing back home and I don't blame him.

Let me elaborate a bit: I think we stand a good chance to come out of the East and at least stand a chance to win the cup, this year. But I don't think we stand a better chance than we will in a few years.

Further, we currently have lots of cap room, but that will likely disappear in a few years when our young talent matures.

Moving a bad contract from now to 3 years down the road is short-sighted.

This was a fantastic move. Hartnell is an upgrade to Umberger in almost every category....and one huge one.....HEART!!!! Umby is a good guy and will always be remembered here. I just dont think that he gave it 100% every shift, and I dislike that immensely. Yes the contract may be a problem down the road, but we are here to win today and today we are a better team because of that trade, no question.

We all know we won this deal in the short term, its in the next 2-3 years that we might not be liking this as much

Imagine this team with Umberger as opposed to Hartnell....

He's better than RJ, now, and, in 2-3 years, he'll still be better than RJ is now.

Skimmed the thread and wanted to post some of my favorite quotes. I think they "sum" up the overall feelings at the time pretty well. While most people knew it was a good move, I don't think anybody could have really expected a better season than what Hartnell had last year.

Just soooooo glad to have Hartnell over Umberger. Its hard to even put the difference in on-ice impact on the team in words. I really wish we never signed Horton simply because of these hypothetical "future cap issues" and because Foligno has essentially turned into the type of impact winger we had hoped Horton could be. Both Foligno and Hartnell (and Savard) really were the bright spots on the team the past year and I think they all proved they have plenty of skill(Foligno/Savard) and gas (Hartnell) in the tank. Even before, being able to see him about 20+ games in Philly (VS/NBCSP) is nothing compared to watching him over a full season and realizing the full impact he has/had on the team. I really feel that even at the end of Hartnell's contract, his value or worth will never be a hindrance to the team in relation to his cap hit like it was with the cases of Wisniewski or Umberger (or Nash) before we "fleeced" PHI and ANA (and NY).

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Skimmed the thread and wanted to post some of my favorite quotes. I think they "sum" up the overall feelings at the time pretty well. While most people knew it was a good move, I don't think anybody could have really expected a better season than what Hartnell had last year.

Just soooooo glad to have Hartnell over Umberger. Its hard to even put the difference in on-ice impact on the team in words. I really wish we never signed Horton simply because of these hypothetical "future cap issues" and because Foligno has essentially turned into the type of impact winger we had hoped Horton could be. Both Foligno and Hartnell (and Savard) really were the bright spots on the team the past year and I think they all proved they have plenty of skill(Foligno/Savard) and gas (Hartnell) in the tank. Even before, being able to see him about 20+ games in Philly (VS/NBCSP) is nothing compared to watching him over a full season and realizing the full impact he has/had on the team. I really feel that even at the end of Hartnell's contract, his value or worth will never be a hindrance to the team in relation to his cap hit like it was with the cases of Wisniewski or Umberger (or Nash) before we "fleeced" PHI and ANA (and NY).

I looked the whole thread to see what I had posted the day of the trade, only to find that I didnt comment. I just remember I woke up, (pacific time) to the text alert about the trade and couldnt believe my eyes. Umberger had been ineffective for three years before the trade, and I wasnt even really aware that Hartnell had that down year of 12 points or whatever. In my mind at the time of the trade, it was trading our 12th-13th forward for Philly's 3rd or 4th best forward - contracts being very similar, just longer for Hartnell's. I would say Hartnell was only outplayed by Foligno and Joey last year, and ended up our 3rd most valuable forward last season (factoring in Jenner and Duby's injuries).

Really, for all the talk, I didnt notice Hartnell falling over more than the average bear. Or taking any completely bonehead penalties that single-handedly cost us a game. Sure he had a lot of penalties - but a lot were standing up for himself or a teammate - or just stirring up crap when games were already long over. Maybe it was just the expectations that Flyer fans built up, I thought he was going to play the entire game falling down in the penalty box.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I looked the whole thread to see what I had posted the day of the trade, only to find that I didnt comment. I just remember I woke up, (pacific time) to the text alert about the trade and couldnt believe my eyes. Umberger had been ineffective for three years before the trade, and I wasnt even really aware that Hartnell had that down year of 12 points or whatever. In my mind at the time of the trade, it was trading our 12th-13th forward for Philly's 3rd or 4th best forward - contracts being very similar, just longer for Hartnell's. I would say Hartnell was only outplayed by Foligno and Joey last year, and ended up our 3rd most valuable forward last season (factoring in Jenner and Duby's injuries).

Really, for all the talk, I didnt notice Hartnell falling over more than the average bear. Or taking any completely bonehead penalties that single-handedly cost us a game. Sure he had a lot of penalties - but a lot were standing up for himself or a teammate - or just stirring up crap when games were already long over. Maybe it was just the expectations that Flyer fans built up, I thought he was going to play the entire game falling down in the penalty box.

Also he recognizes he falls down a lot, hence Hartnell down :laugh:

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I accept my deep fried crow from last offseason. Hartnell was good this year, which I didn't expect.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What are your realistic expectations for Hartnell this season? I'd say 20-25 goals, 50 points

If he put up that I'd be okay. Considering that the expectation is the rest of the team stays "normally healthy" then the 10 point drop from last year should be more than made up by others playing fuller seasons.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
What are your realistic expectations for Hartnell this season? I'd say 20-25 goals, 50 points

With injuries in check and a possible full season with the likes of Wennberg? He put up 28 last season; not sure I'd expect that but no reason it couldn't happen again.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

40-50 points, play 70+ games, be a presence on the ice. I think he drops off some, but hopefully others will pick up the slack. I think he can benefit the team in ways not reflected on a score sheet.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I accept my deep fried crow from last offseason. Hartnell was good this year, which I didn't expect.

I'm in the same boat, or rather, I expected him to be better than RJ, but I didn't expect him to be one of our best top 6 forwards. I thought he'd be a solid 3rd liner for us. 28 goals was a nice surprise....100 pims however was not :)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Id expect a little drop but of no fault to Hartnell. Between likely being more healthy and Jarmo adding to the LW position the offense should be more spread out. Plus we are still unsure who will end up on the right side with those guys. Im not sure what Calvert can do on the right side but I wouldnt be opposed to seeing that group. He brings a lot of what Dano did, just has to stay healthy

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I hope he scores around 20 goals this season. With the addition of Saad, improved overall team health, and greater contributions from second and third year players, 20 would be sufficient.

I just love the way he plays. He's a throwback to a more enjoyable era of the game.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If Hartnell delivers another year like last year, maybe it IS the landslide (win for the CBJ) people were making it out to be. I'll eat my crow with a smile!

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
When you eat crow, you're not allowed to eat it deep fried. Anything deep fried tastes good, and crow isn't supposed to taste good

See, I think "deep-fried crow" is perfectly fitting in this case, because it implies that while someone was wrong, they're totally happy to be wrong because it worked out well for the team.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
See, I think "deep-fried crow" is perfectly fitting in this case, because it implies that while someone was wrong, they're totally happy to be wrong because it worked out well for the team.

I just like fun imagery, and "deep fried crow" just sounds good to the writer in me. But your logic makes me sound wiser on this than intended, soooo I completely intended what you said to be my logic. Yup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad