Confirmed with Link: Hartley is a Jack Adams finalist

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Votes for all awards are cast near or at the end of the regular season; playoffs have no impact.

Indeed, which is why I'm so surprised Maurice wasn't included. Young squad who didn't have a ton of success in previous years, Maurice took over part way through last season and the team immediately improved, then this year managed to get to the playoffs. They overcame massive adversity through injuries and they play a very structured game in order to succeed. I don't understand how he isn't a finalist.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Indeed, which is why I'm so surprised Maurice wasn't included. Young squad who didn't have a ton of success in previous years, Maurice took over part way through last season and the team immediately improved, then this year managed to get to the playoffs. They overcame massive adversity through injuries and they play a very structured game in order to succeed. I don't understand how he isn't a finalist.
I think Hartley walked away with this award. I imagine Laviolette, Maurice and Vigneault were all quite close trading 2nd, 3rd and 4th place votes.

St Wardo

Registered Prophet
Oct 16, 2013
New Brunswick
The word finalist insinuates that the voting is done between the 3 "finalists" that is not the case. The 3 "finalists" are just the top 3 in the final voting, technically speaking every coach/player is a finalist for every award as the pool is never actually narrowed down.

So this means that they already voted and they know who the winner is? Interesting.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I agree, I would have picked Maurice over Vigneault. But, I suppose they had to have a finalist from the East.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I look at Maurice in the same light as Forsberg or Klingberg; the field was just too competitive this season.

Hartley took a team almost everyone thought would be in the McDavid sweeptstakes to the playoffs; overcoming the loss of the teams best player in the final two months.

Laviolette took a fringe playoff team and had them competing for the Presidents trophy for most of the season. They also lost the services of their best player in Rinne for a while.

Vigneault, after getting the Rangers to the cup finals last year, showed the Rangers were no fluke by coaching them to a presidents trophy this season. Too often, coaches of good teams get overlooked in favour of the organizations that 'overachieved' the most. Vigneault deserves credit for the Rangers being considered legitimate cup contenders.

Maurice deserves a lot of credit for getting the Jets through a lot of adversity with injuries, especially to their defense, but overall, he's a lesser Hartley this year. Considered a fringe playoff team early on, the Jets just squeaked into the playoffs as the final wild card team. Essentially, both Laviolette and Hartley got their teams to exceed expectations by a much larger margin than Maurice.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I look at Maurice in the same light as Forsberg or Klingberg; the field was just too competitive this season.

Hartley took a team almost everyone thought would be in the McDavid sweeptstakes to the playoffs; overcoming the loss of the teams best player in the final two months.

Laviolette took a fringe playoff team and had them competing for the Presidents trophy for most of the season. They also lost the services of their best player in Rinne for a while.

Vigneault, after getting the Rangers to the cup finals last year, showed the Rangers were no fluke by coaching them to a presidents trophy this season. Too often, coaches of good teams get overlooked in favour of the organizations that 'overachieved' the most. Vigneault deserves credit for the Rangers being considered legitimate cup contenders.

Maurice deserves a lot of credit for getting the Jets through a lot of adversity with injuries, especially to their defense, but overall, he's a lesser Hartley this year. Considered a fringe playoff team early on, the Jets just squeaked into the playoffs as the final wild card team. Essentially, both Laviolette and Hartley got their teams to exceed expectations by a much larger margin than Maurice.

Good post, I think you called it perfectly and I agree 100% about AV.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I love Hartley so much, so funny, great coach and such a classy guy. What I'm about to say is obvious but needs to be said, to truly express how I feel about it. French Canadian guy and he had a chance to coach the most storied franchise in hockey, not only hockey, but the mecca for Quebecois players and coaches, yet he chose Calgary, a team in the middle of a rebuild in the west. Changed us into a respected team, with character and made this city really proud to be Flames fans again, everyone thought we were front runners for McDavid, now we're in the second round. Bob doesn't deserve all the credit but he deserves a lot.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Seriously I have so much respect for Hartley and just the kind of person he is, that video made my day! He really has been a major reason why so many are proud to be a Flames fan again, I agree with that 100%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad