Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Maine Mariners Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
So what’s the AHL depth w echl guys if say PDG, Blackwell , Rooney , Hajek, Reuananen , Kinkaid are all on the taxi?

Still deep up front:
Getts, Ronning, Fontaine,
Elmer, Newell, Barron,
Khodo, Richards, Rueschhoeff,
Greco, Brodzinski, and AHL signed McBride, Thompson, Whelan, O'Leary ... maybe Blackwell
D is thinner,
Miller, Raddysh, Crawley,
... maybe Hajek or Reunanen,
AHL LoVerde, Geertsen, Giuttari
G: Huska Wall

Lotta guys could join after ~February:
(signed) Krav, Rykov, Robertson
Drafted Juniors ATO(or ELC): Schnieder, Skinner, Vierling, Cuylle, Garand
Euro's could xTO/ELC: Nils L, Henriksson, Pajuniemi

Last edited:
Reactions: Vitto79

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Still deep up front:
Getts, Ronning, Fontaine,
Elmer, Newell, Barron,
Khodo, Richards, Rueschhoeff,
Greco, Brodzinski, and AHL signed McBride, Thompson, Whelan, O'Leary ... maybe Blackwell
D is thinner,
Miller, Raddysh, Crawley,
... maybe Hajek or Reunanen,
AHL LoVerde, Geertsen, Giuttari
G: Huska Wall

Lotta guys could join after ~February:
(signed) Krav, Rykov, Robertson
Drafted Juniors ATO(or ELC): Schnieder, Skinner, Vierling, Cuylle, Garand
Euro's could xTO/ELC: Nils L, Henriksson, Pajuniemi

Ty Ronning seems to be a pretty fringe prospect at this point. Lettieri at the same age had a productive AHL season under his belt, and he failed to translate to the Rangers due to physical/processing issues that are not unlike Ronning’s.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Ty Ronning seems to be a pretty fringe prospect at this point. Lettieri at the same age had a productive AHL season under his belt ...
I appreciate the doubts about Ronning's prospects, but re the Vinni comparison, not totally.
"Lettieri at the same age" had not really had that season yet,
Given 8 months between their birthday months, lets look at the season following where player was 22 during prior summer.
Thats where Vinni was entering his 1st full AHL season.
Thats where Ronning is NOW.
Agreed he needs to show more, and has been surpassed on projected depth chart, at F, by many.
This is likely make=or-break season for him.
But in situations like this, I remind myself why ELCs for younger players are 3 seasons.
If he can find his stride as a goal scorer, he can complement the guys in Hartford and earn a 2d contract...

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

this will be interesting to watch develop - would they park Robertson, Schneider, Skinner there?
if Tarmo and Hajek both stay up, w Taxi or whatever (which would make 9 D up - 8,77,23,55, - 42,JJ - AB)
then Pack D is otherwise shallow w Miller, Raddysh, Crawley and 3 AHL guys - Loverde, Geertson, Guitarri

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Weird alignment. If they were happy to go with an odd number of divisions, they easily could've apportioned them into seven 4-team groups.

Or, for an even number, go with six divisions: one 6-team group, two 5-team groups, and three 4-team groups.

Not that hard with all the PA and NY organizations...
I heard about this yesterday. The Hartford group may play a 30-40 game schedule only within the division (same for the other divisions). Maybe 50 games max for any division.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i get that some teams aren't playing and they had to separate the canadian teams but are they really that lazy to not realign for 1 year like the nhl did?

edit: actually they did re-align which makes even less sense...moved hersey, lehigh, and wilkes barre from the atlantic to the north.

binghamton devils will play in newark but not in the atlantic division

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
i get that some teams aren't playing and they had to separate the canadian teams but are they really that lazy to not realign for 1 year like the nhl did?

edit: actually they did re-align which makes even less sense...moved hersey, lehigh, and wilkes barre from the atlantic to the north.

binghamton devils will play in newark but not in the atlantic division
They placed minimizing travel over literally all else. Other than maybe taking SWB and putting it into the Northeast, I don't know who else you'd move. Sticking to divisional games only also makes it easier for scheduling purposes, which is a big thing for the AHL.

It's far from ideal, but if it means everyone gets 30-50 games with significantly reduced travel, I'm okay with it.

EDIT: I also want to clarify that by minimizing travel, it's more about reducing or eliminating the need to stay anywhere overnight. The teams are going to be operating with essentially no revenue, so it's really important that they keep the costs down as much as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbassler

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
They placed minimizing travel over literally all else. Other than maybe taking SWB and putting it into the Northeast, I don't know who else you'd move. Sticking to divisional games only also makes it easier for scheduling purposes, which is a big thing for the AHL.

It's far from ideal, but if it means everyone gets 30-50 games with significantly reduced travel, I'm okay with it.

Binghamton Devils will play in newark according to the ahl release and will travel to syracuse and rochester instead of bridgeport

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Binghamton Devils will play in newark according to the ahl release and will travel to syracuse and rochester instead of bridgeport
Yeah that one is weird, I don't know why they left Binghamton there. I guess outside of Rochester though, they don't really have any really bad travel. Lehigh Valley, SWB, Hershey, all very close. Rochester, Syracuse, and Utica are tougher. If they were still in Binghamton it would work perfectly.

It's probably going to be a 30-40 game season so you'd only have to make the trips to Rochester, Syracuse, and Utica a couple times. Say you go to each place twice, during the week, and they come to you twice. You get 12 games out of that and then have more weekend games against LHV, SWB, and Hershey where it's only an hour or two drive. Twenty games against them, and there's your season. Some approximation of that.

It would still make more sense on paper to have them in the Northeast, but I assume there was some timing-related issue preventing it. Who knows.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
I heard about this yesterday. The Hartford group may play a 30-40 game schedule only within the division (same for the other divisions). Maybe 50 games max for any division.

With the Bingo Devils playing out of Newark, why the hell not put them into the Atlantic to at least make it 4 teams? Don't think I'll be able to watch 15 games vs. Bridgeport and another 15 vs Providence only. Fugly.

I appreciate the AHL for trying and for teams that want to play, but this has more of a rec league feeling to it than the 2nd highest tier of hockey in North America.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria

this will be interesting to watch develop - would they park Robertson, Schneider, Skinner there?
if Tarmo and Hajek both stay up, w Taxi or whatever (which would make 9 D up - 8,77,23,55, - 42,JJ - AB)
then Pack D is otherwise shallow w Miller, Raddysh, Crawley and 3 AHL guys - Loverde, Geertson, Guitarri

I think this NHL-CHL agreement needs to be modified... maybe 1 exemption per NHL team to have a player getting into pro hockey at the AHL level instead of the player producing a 250 point season against inferior competition in the CHL. Also, with 1 exemption per NHL team, it would mean that the CHL wouldn't be diluted skill-wise.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
With the Bingo Devils playing out of Newark, why the hell not put them into the Atlantic to at least make it 4 teams? Don't think I'll be able to watch 15 games vs. Bridgeport and another 15 vs Providence only. Fugly.

I appreciate the AHL for trying and for teams that want to play, but this has more of a rec league feeling to it than the 2nd highest tier of hockey in North America.

25 or so, is what the report is, Canadian may be 35.

as for Binghamton, it's likely to keep some continuity in the divisional alignment.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
25 or so, is what the report is, Canadian may be 35.

as for Binghamton, it's likely to keep some continuity in the divisional alignment.

25 or so against EACH Providence AND Bridgeport? Or 25 or so COMBINED against both?
In a messed up year and situation as this is... continuity has next to no value at this stage... I know what u saying, but damn... A 3 team division?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I think this NHL-CHL agreement needs to be modified... maybe 1 exemption per NHL team to have a player getting into pro hockey at the AHL level instead of the player producing a 250 point season against inferior competition in the CHL. Also, with 1 exemption per NHL team, it would mean that the CHL wouldn't be diluted skill-wise.

key point in this case , is "... if major junior hockey does not start up ..." so no leagues playing to be diluted

if you mean, in general, going forward,
yeah, an exemption like that, with constraints, say
for players on signed NHL contracts,
perhaps with minimum 3 seasons Major Junior already played,
could help a few players/teams without undermining CHL

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
25 or so against EACH Providence AND Bridgeport? Or 25 or so COMBINED against both?
In a messed up year and situation as this is... continuity has next to no value at this stage... I know what u saying, but damn... A 3 team division?
25 total, 3 games per week, provided everything is stasis, nevermind the variant strain that's been reported to be detected in several states already.....

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
key point in this case , is "... if major junior hockey does not start up ..." so no leagues playing to be diluted

if you mean, in general, going forward,
yeah, an exemption like that, with constraints, say
for players on signed NHL contracts,
perhaps with minimum 3 seasons Major Junior already played,
could help a few players/teams without undermining CHL

This.

Or something like this. But keeping it real in terms of exemptions... Majority of kids won't be ready mentally/physically for AHL pro hockey and probably have their careers destroyed by being rushed. Should really be 1 or max. 2 per NHL team in the interest of the individual's development. I can imagine the players association won't like this too much, as essentially it'll cost a 1-2 players a roster spot in the AHL. On the other hand, the AHL promotes itself as THE developmental league... maybe the magic number for an exemption is 1/season/NHL team.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
25 total, 3 games per week, provided everything is stasis, nevermind the variant strain that's been reported to be detected in several states already.....
just got this off twitter (i closed the tab, please don't make me look for it lol) that the min. no. of games is 24. I hope they keep it that with only 2 opponents, 12 and 12... which is even ugly in a normal full season (unless it's spread out nicely over a full normal season instead of, say, playing the PBruins 7 times in 10 days).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad