Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
2-1 after 1. Shots 9-5 Hartford. Nyr2k2 described the goals. Paul Thompson with two goals. Get your hats ready.

Reactions: egelband

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Khodorenko with the steal deep in the Bridgeport end. He takes the puck to the goal and loses it but Thompson picks it up and scores. Khodorenko playing much better the last 3 games after being scratched for 2 after an unimpressive start to the season.
Thompson and Khodorenko combine to steal the puck near the top of the circle, break in down low, hard to see exactly what unfolded bu eventually Thompson knocked it in.

EDIT: My stream is garbage today, it keeps dying. I might have to sit out the rest of this one. It's 2-1 after 1, that Pack PP is absolutely on fire and has really propelled them in their streak. IIRC they didn't score one last game but before that, they had gone several consecutive games with multiple PPGs.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Getting production now, from vets Greco, Thompson, and getting Brodzinski back, should help results. But of course, they've fallen back into a tie, here in 2nd period

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
3-2 Pack after 2. One of the worst Pack periods in a long time. Bridgeport ties it up when Raddysh and Reunanen mishandle the puck allowing a Bridgeport player to walk in. Huska makes the save but Bridgeport puts in the rebound. Then the Brodzinski blast on the 5 on 3.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
7 in a row as Pack wins 4-2. Much better Pack period with Barron and Richards lines particularly effective. Shots in 3rd period 12-2. With the net empty Barron clears the puck out of the zone and Bridgeport defensemen let Richards beat them to the puck for an empty net goal.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Barron and Ronning have been the best Pack forwards this season. Barron is having a good year. But the scoring can be somewhat misleading. For example, on the last goal today he got to a loose puck and cleared the zone down the ice. The Bridgeport defensemen feel asleep and let Richards beat them to the puck and score an empty netter. So Barron gets a primary assist by throwing the puck out of the zone. The point about Barron isn't that he won't make the NHL but how good will he be. Having seen him extensively at Cornell I thought he could be a middle line forward. So far, in his rookie year, he looks more like a bottom line forward. I think he's got more to his game than he has shown. His line had several good shifts in the third period, some of the best all year. I would like to see more of that during the last eight games.

This year is a strange year but it's even more difficult to analyze players because the team only plays 24 games and 12 are against Bridgeport which is Hartford Wolfpack historically bad.

I know the reports on Barron are that he could be better but he's at a PPG over 17 games (leading the pack by 6 points) and is averaging about 3 shots a game. If that's just okay, that's still pretty exciting lol

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
On this seven game winning streak five have been against Bridgeport. I am more interested in seeing how the Pack do against Providence in their remaining three games.

7 in a row as Pack wins 4-2. Much better Pack period with Barron and Richards lines particularly effective. Shots in 3rd period 12-2. With the net empty Barron clears the puck out of the zone and Bridgeport defensemen let Richards beat them to the puck for an empty net goal.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Barron and Ronning have been the best Pack forwards this season. Barron is having a good year. But the scoring can be somewhat misleading. For example, on the last goal today he got to a loose puck and cleared the zone down the ice. The Bridgeport defensemen feel asleep and let Richards beat them to the puck and score an empty netter. So Barron gets a primary assist by throwing the puck out of the zone. The point about Barron isn't that he won't make the NHL but how good will he be. Having seen him extensively at Cornell I thought he could be a middle line forward. So far, in his rookie year, he looks more like a bottom line forward. I think he's got more to his game than he has shown. His line had several good shifts in the third period, some of the best all year. I would like to see more of that during the last eight games.

This year is a strange year but it's even more difficult to analyze players because the team only plays 24 games and 12 are against Bridgeport which is Hartford Wolfpack historically bad.
right I was commenting on the observations that optically he seems to be a bit of a passenger and not really going for big plays, kinda just doing his job in the background

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I wouldn't say he has been a passenger but I also don't often see the dynamic quality I saw in Cornell very often. And to be clear he has been good. I just think there is more there. Maybe we are saying the same thing.

BTW with regard to scoring Raddysh got 3 assists today and I don't think any one was anything other than a routine play by him on which the Pack scored.

right I was commenting on the observations that optically he seems to be a bit of a passenger and not really going for big plays, kinda just doing his job in the background

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I want to give a shout out to Tim Gettinger, who looked like a large animated corpse earlier in the season, but has really elevated his play over the past 8-10 games. He's much more active, getting to the net, getting pucks on the goal, just generally being hard to play against.
I like him. he's still young and I think he has a future as a 4th liner.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
It may be a coincidence but I think his play picked up when he was moved to line with Richards and Ronning. They play fast and I think Gettinger is pushing to keep up with them. I still don't see anything close to an NHL player but you are correct his game has improved.
I want to give a shout out to Tim Gettinger, who looked like a large animated corpse earlier in the season, but has really elevated his play over the past 8-10 games. He's much more active, getting to the net, getting pucks on the goal, just generally being hard to play against.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
third straight game with Bridgeport, this time at Hartford. Huska led the team out and Brassard is skating Wall is out. Sanchez and Dmowski are skating and Whelan and Reuschhoff scratched.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
1-0 Bridgeport after 1. Pretty quiet period. Bridgeport long pass that Geertson knocks out of the air and unfortunately goes directly to a Bridgeport player who goes around Geertson and beats Huska. Bad luck. Pack kill off 1 penalty and start on PK for Domowski penalty. Pack had one PP and had a few chances. Shots are 6-6.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
2-0 Bridgeport after 2. Gettinger had a chance to clear on the PK but failed and Bridgeport gets clear shot from 40 feet out beating Huska. First PP goal Pack have given up in last 14 chances. Pack give up a 2-0 and Huska somehow able to make the save. Not much effort from the Pack.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Pack lose 4-0. I think Ken Gernander must be coaching this game. After an uninspiring first two periods Knoblouch moves Brodzinski to first line center with Barron movieg to left wing and Newell coming out. Almost immediately this turns out to be disastrous as Barron takes an offensive zone crosschecking penalty. On PK puck comes out front and Carpenter buries it. Then Pack D mismanages the puck and leaves Bridgeport for a close in open shot. Both point blank shots that Huska had little chance on. Geertsen now moved up front with lines all scrambled. Pack now have taken 6 penalties with Ronning getting an offensive zone slash. Barron has 2 2-1 on the PK and he makes a bad pass on one and fumbles the second. With Ronning still in the box Barron throws the puck out of the ice for his second penalty in the third period. Pack kill off a short 5-3.

Worst Pack effort in a long time. First time they are shut out this year.

No one looked good but Barron had a particularly bad game.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Can I get a Cuylle report from the Pack Watchers? 19 year old playing in the AHL very interesting times.

Hasn't look out of place. Decent size and wheels allows him to keep up and be effective at this level. Not necessarily a stand out but he already has the size and skating ability to play at this level at his age. Has an above average shot for this level. He's been fairly effective along the walls which is a great sign for a kid his age. He plays a fairly responsible game. The other thing is -- he's not one of these prospects who comes to the pro game and has to completely remake his playing style. He came pro-style ready.

He's played a fair amount of the games for the Wolfpack but has also been scratched a bit lately. He's often playing with the 3rd line AHLers -- so he's often playing alongside guys who are going to grind plays out. He's not playing with really skilled guys. So, he's only got 5 pts in 12 or 13 games.

If there's a negative to this season for him, I would say it's that his game has leveled off. He started off strong and I'm not sure I've seen marked improvement throughout the year. I think he's been decent all along. But I would not see he's getting more dominant. And the scouting report on him when he was drafted is that he plays with an edge. I haven't necessarily seen edge, but he's not shy physically. Some of that may just be a strength/energy issue that can plague teenagers playing against men for the first time.

It will be interesting to see where he plays next year as he could possibly come to the Pack again or go back for a D+2 overage year assuming there's a somewhat normal Juniors season next year. There's an argument to be made for either approach. It might be nice for him to go back to Juniors so he can grow more confidence in his offensive game. Then again, if he gains more strength, going back to Juniors may not be as fruitful as playing against men again.

I think for him his training will be really important. I hope he gets to train with pro guys this off-season and builds up his strength and speed.

To sum up: there's plenty to be encouraged by. He seems to be on a path towards one day being a bottom 6 NHLer. Though, I doubt that happens next year. At minimum, my guess is 22-23 season or later. Which is likely better for the Rangers too.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It's an interesting conundrum for the Rangers right now with Barron. It seems like they'd like him to get into a few NHL games before the year is out. But there's only 2 weeks left in AHL season and logically they would just bring up Barron or Reunanen or whoever after the season at this point.

But these next two weeks also coincide with the easier stretch of games for the NYR. And the part of the schedule that's most packed in (8 games in 14 days -- 3x NJ, 2x PHI, 2x BUF, 1X NYI). Whereas if they wait to bring anyone up until AHL season ends, then those callups would end up in games against, BOS, WAS and NYI. If the Rangers have a fighting chance those last 6 games, it might be hard to sneak in Barron or Reunanen or anyone else.

So, it's an interesting conundrum. My guess is, knowing how Quinn operates, even if Barron comes up for a handful of games he barely gets into the lineup. The NYR pretty much have to be eliminated for Barron to get any games in.

The other outstanding question is: would they send Jones down to HFD for any of the remaining games? Or is he just going to get the K'Andre treatment where he practices with the big team to close out the season?
Can the Rangers bring guys up to practice with the parent club without it counting against the transactions cap?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Bridgeport announcer says Wall is scratched but didn't indicate reason so I can't answer your question. But it's possible the team wants to give Wall some time off to clear his head.
Weird to say but I hope Wall is injured :) Nothing serious, just a way to explain the poor results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad