Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Tomorrow is the last game of the season.

Tomorrow also is Mrs. Ranger Ric's birthday. And it's a big birthday.

For reasons I don't understand Mrs. Ranger Ric does not want to spend her birthday watching a minor league hockey game, even if it is the Hartford Wolfpack.

So I am a healthy scratch for personal reasons for tomorrow's game.

Will get back after Mrs. Ranger Ric's birthday with some thoughts on the season.
Happy birthday to MrsRR!

Reactions: Ranger Ric

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Thanks for all of the kind comments about my wife's birthday. She had a great day so I survive for another year.

I had a bad feeling about yesterday's game when I saw before we left that the Rangers had called up 3 players. cwede laid it out clearly, not much left. And two of the five guys brought up didn't play for the Rangers against the Bruins.

Like everyone else in Rangers land I am trying to process what has happened since April 29 when the Rangers are playing meaningful games at the end of the season, the rebuild is moving ahead with plaudits coming from NHL experts about the rebuild, Hartford has a chance for the division championship and the kids in the WHL, college and overseas are having great years and within a week it all turned to sh*t. Et tu Glen Sather?

In the near future I'll provide some thoughts about what I saw this year with Hartford.

For now I'll just make two comments about Chris Drury.

1. In the write-ups about Chris Drury it references that he became the Hartford GM in May 2017. The team he took over was coached by Ken Gernander and was 24-47-6 finishing 7th and failing to make the playoffs. In his first year as GM the team improved to 34-33-9 finishing 6th and again failing to make the playoffs. Drury retains Gernander. The second year the team was 29-36-11 finishing ninth. It was after that season that Drury fired Gernander and brought in Knoblauch. In Knoblauch's first year the team was 31-20-11 in the covid shortened season. As I recall, however, the record is misleading because the team was at the top of the division until Shestorkin was called up to the Rangers and then the team sank and was in danger of missing the playoffs and we realized that Shestorkin was a world class goaltender who was carrying the team. I don't think anyone would call his Hartford tenure as outstanding.

2. There's this tidbit in Rick Carinello's report on yesterday's Rangers game. Drury drove to see the Wolfpack game before the Rangers game. So it was a short drive and not a big deal but who was Drury looking at with five of the top players up with the Rangers and Hartford playing mostly AHL players? Hartford had as little chance to win as the Rangers had against the Bruins.
Maybe he brought his equipment...

Reactions: Ranger Ric

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Much has been made of Chris Drury being the Hartford GM for the last four years. I previously posted on how the team did during those four years. I thought it would be fun to look back at trades of Hartford players over those four years. A few of the trades involved NHL contract players in the AHL so Drury might not have been fully responsible for those trades:

1. 10/21/2017 -- Matt Puempel to Detroit for Ryan Sproul.
2. 11/30/2017 -- Adam Cracknall to Montreal for Peter Holland.
3. 2/9/2018 -- Adam Chapie and Joe Whitney to Washington for John Albert and Hubert Labrie.
4. 2/26/2018 -- Ryan Graves to Colorado for Chris Bigras.
5. 1/14/2019 -- Cole Schneider to Nashville for Conor Brickley
6. 2/18/2019 -- Peter Holland to Chicago for Darren Raddysh
7. 2/18/2019 -- Joey Keane to Carolina for Julien Gauthier
8. 2/19/2020 -- Future Considerations to Philadelphia for J.F. Berube

Hated trade 4 from the day it was announced. Liked trade 7 and it would have been better if Gauthier had been used properly. Liked getting Peter Holland and then trading Holland for Raddysh who was worth a chance.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
2. 11/30/2017 -- Adam Cracknall to Montreal for Peter Holland.
6. 2/18/2019 -- Peter Holland to Chicago for Darren Raddysh
Liked getting Peter Holland and then trading Holland for Raddysh who was worth a chance.

especially given that Cracknell was just a waiver claim,
and Raddysh has been useful,
the only RHD on NYR NHL contract this season at Hartford
(yeah, i know that while accurate, that's a technicality,
given Skinner's 10 games and Schneider's few)

the Graves deal was a grievous error,
even worse in the context that NYR finished that season
giving frequent D shifts to OGara, Gilmour, Sproul, and Kampfer (and not even Bigras...)
NONE of Bigras, Sproul, O'Gara have seen NHL icetime since, Gilmour just 9 NHL games last 3 seasons

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Graves deal was unfortunate. At the time I was okay with it; Graves had stagnated in Hartford so it seemed fair to give him a chance to move on and Bigras still had intriguing upside at the time. The main question with Graves was, "why wasn't he given a chance?" That I can't answer, but he wasn't, so for me the trade made sense if we accept that the team didn't think he had earned a chance in the NHL. Of course it is undeniably a mistake now, but, you take the good with the bad--we've had home runs like the Nash deal and then the Strome deal, Fox, the Stepan deal (the assets acquired were great even though it didn't work), Zibanejad, etc., and we've had misses. It was a miss, but, it's not something worth losing sleep over.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
To those who watched regularly
How would you rate Knoblach job this season? is he ready for NY?

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
There has been virtually no information from the Pack this year about the team. I don’t know whether or not the players like Knoblouch and his assistants and feel they are improving. I can only assess some of the personnel decisions the coaching staff has made during this abbreviated year.

On April 27 I wrote a post that Cuylle was scratched for Mike O”Leary. RangersFan1994 responded with this post:
“that is a Quinn/AV type of move a player with no future is in (GLASS, BLACKWELL )for someone who can be part of the future (Buchnevich, Gauthier)”

I responded with the following post:

“I think I saw this post after the game started yesterday and I wanted to respond and largely agree with you. There have been several personnel decisions that made little sense to me if your goal is to develop your younger players.

So they scratch Ty Ronning for the first 3 games. But then he plays the next 2 and is the best player in one game and one of the best in the next and he then gets scratched for 3 more games. I could understand an argument that they didn't have much of a camp and didn't think much of Ronning coming into camp so you start out scratching him. But anyone watching the first two games he played would have seen he was deserving of more time. While I am surprised about how well Ronning has played this year I am not surprised after seeing the first two games that he would be one of the team's better players and he should not have been scratched for the second set of 3 games.

If I remember correctly Cuylle was being scratched when Knobloch was called up to coach the Rangers and the replacements put him in. The Rangers thought highly enough of Cuylle after seeing him this year to give him a contract. So why is he still being scratched for Mike O'Leary?

In one of those games the Pack had Sanchez centering Cuylle and Reuschhoff. Those guys kept the opposition pinned in below the boards every time they were able to get the puck down low. So they broke up the line and started scratching Sanchez?

I have been impressed with Austin Reuschhoff. And over the last half year he finally is getting power play time on PP2, which has been the more effective of the power play units. But Reuschhoff is consistently playing 3rd and 4th line and he often is paired with Mason Geertsen, which is like putting an anchor on the line. Maybe Reuschhoff won't be as good as I think he might but he needs to be given an opportunity to play with better players. Sometimes I think they are trying to sabotage him.

At the same time, the team has left Patrick Newell on the first line and often has Anthony Greco on that line. Neither of these guys is likely to see an NHL uniform except in a team store.

I have provided a number of examples but I have not been happy with some of the personnel moves Knoubloch has made this year and they support the comment made by RangersFan1994.”

I would add a couple of other decisions I didn’t like. One was that Tarmo Reunanen had no penalty kill play. While I understand he may not be the greatest defensive player I would think in a developmental league you would want to try to expand a player’s skills.

In another game the coaching staff played Brodzikski, Greco and Newell on a line. I think we all agree that it is important to have some veterans to mix with the young players. But why put the veterans together on one line. I count Newell as a veteran because he already is 25.

So there were many instances where I did not like how the coaching used its players to develop the younger players.

There’s more to coaching that just choosing who to play and how to play them and some of the decisions have made sense. Knoblach finally did move Ronning and Reuschhoff onto the power play and Tim Gettinger’s game improved when he was moved onto a line with Richards and Ronning. Morgan Barron got consistent first line minutes and PP and PK time. Reunanen consistently quarterbacked PP1.

But from what I saw I can’t say I was overwhelmed by some of the coaching decisions.

Given the pressure the team will be on to make the playoffs next year I think if Quinn is removed Drury is going to pick an experienced NHL coach who knows what it takes to play playoff hockey, not someone with no NHL head coaching experience.

To those who watched regularly
How would you rate Knoblach job this season? is he ready for NY?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hartford had a pretty solid year. If they had better goaltending, like if Kinkaid was down there all year, they probably win the division.

Tough to really say with Knoblauch. There's such little information coming from Hartford, so you don't know. I liked Sanchez, way better than turds like O'Leary. Why did Sanchez completely stop playing? Was it a coaching decision or was he hurt? We don't know these things, this year anyway. Why didn't Cuylle play more? I wasn't quite as high on him as @Ranger Ric, but it's a legitimate question. There are lots of questions and really no answers. If Cantlon or Beck don't report on something about Hartford you'll basically never know.

So, there were lineup decisions I don't get. However, I honestly can't ever think of a coach who I can't say I didn't question his lineup choices. I think that's just the nature of the beast. The team played with more structure than I remember them playing with for a long time. They had a really young roster and, particularly up front, they didn't have a lot of 4A guys. Brodzinski who played half the season, then Thompson and Greco who are good but not great AHL players. After that it was just young guys. And I think most of them showed well.

No one really disappointed other than the goalies IMO. The PP was lethal. They had too many defensive breakdowns but I think that was personnel as much as anything.

All in all it was a good season. I think Knoblauch did well. Is he ready to be an NHL coach? I don't know, maybe for a team like we were a few years ago, young, up-and-coming or whatever. I wouldn't ask him to take the reins of our current team. I think the current team needs someone a bit more established. I think Knoblauch can and will be an NHL coach, but probably not here.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
There has been virtually no information from the Pack this year about the team. I don’t know whether or not the players like Knoblouch and his assistants and feel they are improving. I can only assess some of the personnel decisions the coaching staff has made during this abbreviated year.

On April 27 I wrote a post that Cuylle was scratched for Mike O”Leary. RangersFan1994 responded with this post:
“that is a Quinn/AV type of move a player with no future is in (GLASS, BLACKWELL )for someone who can be part of the future (Buchnevich, Gauthier)”

“I think I saw this post after the game started yesterday and I wanted to respond and largely agree with you. There have been several personnel decisions that made little sense to me if your goal is to develop your younger players.

So they scratch Ty Ronning for the first 3 games. But then he plays the next 2 and is the best player in one game and one of the best in the next and he then gets scratched for 3 more games. I could understand an argument that they didn't have much of a camp and didn't think much of Ronning coming into camp so you start out scratching him. But anyone watching the first two games he played would have seen he was deserving of more time. While I am surprised about how well Ronning has played this year I am not surprised after seeing the first two games that he would be one of the team's better players and he should not have been scratched for the second set of 3 games.

If I remember correctly Cuylle was being scratched when Knobloch was called up to coach the Rangers and the replacements put him in. The Rangers thought highly enough of Cuylle after seeing him this year to give him a contract. So why is he still being scratched for Mike O'Leary?

In one of those games the Pack had Sanchez centering Cuylle and Reuschhoff. Those guys kept the opposition pinned in below the boards every time they were able to get the puck down low. So they broke up the line and started scratching Sanchez?

I have been impressed with Austin Reuschhoff. And over the last half year he finally is getting power play time on PP2, which has been the more effective of the power play units. But Reuschhoff is consistently playing 3rd and 4th line and he often is paired with Mason Geertsen, which is like putting an anchor on the line. Maybe Reuschhoff won't be as good as I think he might but he needs to be given an opportunity to play with better players. Sometimes I think they are trying to sabotage him.

At the same time, the team has left Patrick Newell on the first line and often has Anthony Greco on that line. Neither of these guys is likely to see an NHL uniform except in a team store.

I have provided a number of examples but I have not been happy with some of the personnel moves Knoubloch has made this year and they support the comment made by RangersFan1994.”

I would add a couple of other decisions I didn’t like. One was that Tarmo Reunanen had no penalty kill play. While I understand he may not be the greatest defensive player I would think in a developmental league you would want to try to expand a player’s skills.

In another game the coaching staff played Brodzikski, Greco and Newell on a line. I think we all agree that it is important to have some veterans to mix with the young players. But why put the veterans together on one line. I count Newell as a veteran because he already is 25.

So there were many instances where I did not like how the coaching used its players to develop the younger players.

There’s more to coaching that just choosing who to play and how to play them and some of the decisions have made sense. Knoblach finally did move Ronning and Reuschhoff onto the power play and Tim Gettinger’s game improved when he was moved onto a line with Richards and Ronning. Morgan Barron got consistent first line minutes and PP and PK time. Reunanen consistently quarterbacked PP1.

But from what I saw I can’t say I was overwhelmed by some of the coaching decisions.

Given the pressure the team will be on to make the playoffs next year I think if Quinn is removed Drury is going to pick an experienced NHL coach who knows what it takes to play playoff hockey, not someone with no NHL head coaching experience.
We should fire the Pack GM, oh wait......

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

This post is really clear, reasonable, brimming with good info...a frightening. I know there’s more than meets the eye to these decisions but it seems that where there’s smoke there’s fire. Maybe I’m just buying the negativity, but it seems the whole organization is a bit mixed up. Not very inspirational.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Sometimes, scratching a player is part of developing him. I can't say that's what Knoblauch was doing, because I don't know what he was thinking or seeing. But given that these types of decisions continue to be made, not just by Quinn and Knoblauch, but by other coaches around the league, maybe, just maybe, they have good reasons for doing it. That doesn't mean they are right or wrong in their approach. There is no best way to develop a player. Each coach has to do what they believe is in the best interest of the player and the team. Sometimes those interests are at odds with each other, which makes these decisions even more difficult and more open to second guessing.

It's very easy for us to sit here and say the coach should do this or that, but we have only a small part of the information that the coaches have. Again, them having more info doesn't mean they are always right, but I'm sure that a lot of the criticisms would stop if we had a better understanding of why those decisions were made.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
It shouldn't have come down to the last game of the year... Huska nor Wall stole a single game all year. Not one. ECHL Maine was sorely missed all year in the goaltending department.

Reactions: Number 9

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
It shouldn't have come down to the last game of the year... Huska nor Wall stole a single game all year. Not one. ECHL Maine was sorely missed all year in the goaltending department.

yes, you're right, a couple stolen games coulda sealed the division

such a weird season all around,
an inconsistent schedule, multiple long breaks, only 2 opponents
Huska sucked away for weeks to sit on Taxi while Shesty was hurt,
the coaching staff also sucked away for a couple weeks
most of the D not on NYR contracts (Only Raddysh, and Reunanen, and the exiled Crawley)
(by the time they signed Geertsen to NHL deal, he'd become most often a Winger)
junior players coming and going
7 NCAA rookie F's

as long as it helped them all be ready for real season come October, I won't dwell much

Reactions: Number 9

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
No score after 1. The highlight of the period was a heavy weight battle between Geertson and Providence goon Ian McCellan. This was a really good fight and if you like fighting you should look for a clip. Pack outshoot Providence 13-5. The Pack with the better of the chance. 2 PPs a piece. Pack created more chances but failed to beat Dan Vladar. Cuylle playing on the first line with Brodzinski and Greco and was active in front of the net. Khodorenko playing with Reuschhoff on the 3rd line and knoblauch finally moved Geertson to the 4th line with O'Leary and Thompson. Geertson and McCellan each got 7 minutes and that messed up the lines so along with the 4 power plays there was not much action for any of the original lines. Hunter Skinner still playing with Loverde who has been on Skinner's left side.

Wow. Can't believe Geertson had to fight Gandalf. I really shoulda got the AHL package this last season

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

I know there is most likely a thousand stories like this but because I’m a Rangers fan Ty Ronning fight to keep a roster spot despite playing well makes me think of Martin St. Louis being released by Calgary only to become a star with another NHL club.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I know there is most likely a thousand stories like this but because I’m a Rangers fan Ty Ronning fight to keep a roster spot despite playing well makes me think of Martin St. Louis being released by Calgary only to become a star with another NHL club.
well we have time for this to play out further w NYR,
Ronning definitely earned himself a QO, so at very least a 1-year extension
and a new coaching staff, to evaluate this improved, more productive version

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad