Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Providence at Hartford. Huska starts in goal. Jeff Taylor replaces Reunanen. Barzolla has yet to play. Geertson up front. Cuylle replaces Barron. James Sanchez in the witness protection program.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
No score after 1. The highlight of the period was a heavy weight battle between Geertson and Providence goon Ian McCellan. This was a really good fight and if you like fighting you should look for a clip. Pack outshoot Providence 13-5. The Pack with the better of the chance. 2 PPs a piece. Pack created more chances but failed to beat Dan Vladar. Cuylle playing on the first line with Brodzinski and Greco and was active in front of the net. Khodorenko playing with Reuschhoff on the 3rd line and knoblauch finally moved Geertson to the 4th line with O'Leary and Thompson. Geertson and McCellan each got 7 minutes and that messed up the lines so along with the 4 power plays there was not much action for any of the original lines. Hunter Skinner still playing with Loverde who has been on Skinner's left side.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
2-1 Providence after 2. Providence scores first when I think Taylor mishandles a dump in and Providence scores on a shot from in front with Huska having no chance. Pack come back when O"leary gets the puck at the blue line and throws one at the net that Geertson tips in. Pack almost escape disaster when Loverde trips a Bruin with Raddysh already in the penalty box but Providence doesn't give up the puck and keeps it for about one minute leaving only 12 seconds of 5-3. But as the penalty ends Bruins get a cross ice pass that leads to a shot Huska has no chance on. Providence outshoots Pack 17-7 in the period with many shots coming on the power play. Pack miss a great chance when Reuschhoff wins the puck behind the net and finds a wide open and I mean wide open Khodorenko 20 feet out but he can't beat the goalie.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
In OT Pack wins 3-2. Score tied with when a shot from the point flutters to the goalie who stops it but leaves a rebound that Ronning puts in. Bob Crawford thought Justin Richards took the shot but the assist announced as Loverde. Then a crazy few minutes with Newell taking a nigh sticking penalty with about 5 minutes left. Brodzinski wins the puck on the PK and breaks in with O"leary who gets behind his man and is hooked ending the penalty. But then on a loose puck that Loverde and a Bruin go for Loverde called for tripping giving the Bruins a 4-3. Fortunately the Bruins unable to do anything on the PP. Then in OT Brodzinski wins a battle in the neutral zone and breaks in with Newell and gets a pass to Newell, who otherwise did nothing in the game but was able to bury the shot. Huska solid again in goal, the defense just fair, Skinner with a couple of turnovers and not showing the offense I was expecting but physical. Reunanen's absence very noticeable as Guitari got his PP minutes and not very effective. Newell, Ronning and Huska the 3 stars but I would have put Brodzinski instead of Newell because he made the play. Shots were 32-28 Pack.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
In OT Pack wins 3-2. Score tied with when a shot from the point flutters to the goalie who stops it but leaves a rebound that Ronning puts in. Bob Crawford thought Justin Richards took the shot but the assist announced as Loverde. Then a crazy few minutes with Newell taking a nigh sticking penalty with about 5 minutes left. Brodzinski wins the puck on the PK and breaks in with O"leary who gets behind his man and is hooked ending the penalty. But then on a loose puck that Loverde and a Bruin go for Loverde called for tripping giving the Bruins a 4-3. Fortunately the Bruins unable to do anything on the PP. Then in OT Brodzinski wins a battle in the neutral zone and breaks in with Newell and gets a pass to Newell, who otherwise did nothing in the game but was able to bury the shot. Huska solid again in goal, the defense just fair, Skinner with a couple of turnovers and not showing the offense I was expecting but physical. Reunanen's absence very noticeable as Guitari got his PP minutes and not very effective. Newell, Ronning and Huska the 3 stars but I would have put Brodzinski instead of Newell because he made the play. Shots were 32-28 Pack.
Will we be to Ronning what Calgary was to Martin St Louis? I hope not for our sake, I hope so for his.

Reactions: egelband

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Happy to hear about a Ronning. Also happy skinner is using his body. That’s his game. Play physical and move the puck well. I don’t think he’s going to be a huge pt producer but much like lindgren, he’ll make the great first pass that leads to the offense

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
it's official no AHL playoffs
AHL announces plans for 2021 playoffs, 21-22 calendar
" ... "In the Atlantic Division, the team finishing in first place during the regular season (ranked by points percentage) will be awarded the Emile Francis Trophy as division champions ...

...the Pack would have to defeat Providence in both games and then beat Bridgeport because the have 3 less RW wins than Providence and Providence would have to lose or tie to Bridgeport. But Providence played an extra game against Utica so if the Pack run the table it comes down to points percentage with Providence playing 25 games and Hartford playing 24.
Don't we want the Emile Francis Trophy. I mean it's Emile Francis.

as Ranger Ric mentioned, , Pack have a path to a title,
with 1 final round robin this week, between today and Thursday

IF Bridgeport can beat Providence Today in regulation
Then, if Pack win their last 2 games (Prov in regulation), they can tie Providence in points,
with 1 less GP, will have a higher pts%age

UPDATE: actually it seems that even if Prov earns 1 point, if Pack win out, they pass Prov
31/24=1.291667
32/25=1.28

upload_2021-5-3_11-7-35.png

Last edited:

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
2-2 after 1. Pack outshooting Bridgeport 10-6 . Pack strike first on the PP. Very nice play by Brodzinski controlling the puck and finding Greco in the slot all alone for the score. Bridgeport comes back on a shot from the point that goes wide but comes out the other side and the Bridgeport player was the first one on the puck and he beat Huska who couldn't get across the net. Reuschhoff carries the puck behind the net and puts it front where Geertson taps it in. That's a two game goal streak for Geertson. You can slow him down but you can't stop him. Cuylle fights with Mike Cornell and looks good doing it after a puck battle in the Bridgeport end. With 2 minutes left Bridgeport ties it on the PP on a deflection of a shot from the point. Bridgeport had been 1 for 17 on the PP.

Greco moved up to the first line with Brodzinski and Newell. Why play 3 vets together? And Reuschhoff moved to fourth line with O'Leary and Geertsen. That doesn't make sense to me in terms of developing Reuschhoff.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
A sleepy period with no scoring. Shots are 18-11 Pack. Ronning has a great chance gathering a rebound but his backhander with an open net goes wide. At the end of the period Patrick Seiloff gets a jack in the box breakaway but is stopped. Cuylle really skating well.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...Greco moved up to the first line with Brodzinski and Newell. Why play 3 vets together?...
my first knee-jerk response here was .. 'wait, Newell was just a rookie last season' ... but Newell turned 25 in January ...

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Pack win 4-3 and keep their division championship hopes alive . Pack outshoot Bridgeport 28-19. At the end of a PP Bridgeport turns the puck over in front of the net and Thompson taps it in unassisted. 2nd Pack PP goal of the game. Brodzinski sends Gettinger in who gets behind the Bridgeport defense and beats the goalie. Nice pass by Brodzinski and good speed by Gettinger to break in, the first time he has shown that speed in this game. Ronning with another great chance when Bridgeport turns it over in the slot but Ronning can't beat the goalie. Bridgeport pulls goalie with 3:39 left and Bridgeport scores with 2:00 minutes left on a rebound that goes to an open Bridgeport player. But the Pack close it out. 3 stars are 1. Brodzinski 2. Reuschhoff and 3. Geertson.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Yep. He really needed a big season and he hasn't had one. Despite playing on the first line and first PP he is rarely noticeable and doesn't generate much offense. When I saw him last year I thought, maybe? but this year is a hard no. He is RFA. The Rangers may qualify him as a body but I would be selling my Newell Ranger jerseys.

my first knee-jerk response here was .. 'wait, Newell was just a rookie last season' ... but Newell turned 25 in January ...

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Pack win 4-3 and keep their division championship hopes alive ...

so yes Pack control their destiny,
a regulation win on Thursday vs Providence
seems to give them the Division title and Emile Francis Trophy

Correcting the math formula to use, from PTS/GP, to the league standard
The AHL website calculates winning %-age as PTS/(2xGP)
TODAY (after Win)
PROV 32/48= 0.6667
PACK 29/46= 0.63043

THURS IF PACK WIN IN REG
PACK 31/48= 0.64583
PROV 32/50= 0.64

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Once I saw Wilson was not going to be suspended I wondered if the Rangers were going to bring him up for the Caps game.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I do doubt it.

However, in the case for calling him up I would say 2 things. First, you never know what can happen with a player. Sometimes they just need a shot and they run with it.(This is unlikely of course cause the players we see this with are typically more talented such as Lindgren, McDonagh, Kreider, etc) Second, sometimes its good to have a guy like that come through the room for a few games to remind everybody that they aren't just there to collect a paycheck. Gabriel for the Sharks seemed to help light a fire for that team. They have since fallen off cause their team just isn't good enough, but they stayed in it longer than I thought.

Reactions: Ola

Number 9

What rhymes with Gagne?
Oct 14, 2008
Park City, UT
I wouldn't be surprised, but I do doubt it.

However, in the case for calling him up I would say 2 things. First, you never know what can happen with a player. Sometimes they just need a shot and they run with it.(This is unlikely of course cause the players we see this with are typically more talented such as Lindgren, McDonagh, Kreider, etc) Second, sometimes its good to have a guy like that come through the room for a few games to remind everybody that they aren't just there to collect a paycheck. Gabriel for the Sharks seemed to help light a fire for that team. They have since fallen off cause their team just isn't good enough, but they stayed in it longer than I thought.

brooks mentioned his name in todays post article, he said it is possible. I think it will happen.

Reactions: MrAlmost

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's too bad the Rangers have a game the same day as the Pack. Would have been nice to get Barron or Reunanen back for the last game or something.

I know it's a joke of a season but it would be a nice feather in Hartford's cap to come out on top.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
It's obvious the Pack miss both of them. Fewer chances created without them. Guitari replaces Reunanen on power play and difference is big. But Providence has had lots of players called up this year. So you play with who you got.

It's too bad the Rangers have a game the same day as the Pack. Would have been nice to get Barron or Reunanen back for the last game or something.

I know it's a joke of a season but it would be a nice feather in Hartford's cap to come out on top.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad