Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)/Maine Mariners (ECHL) Thread *Part X*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I agree that neither Halverson nor Nell will be brought back. Nell is horrible. Borderline-ECHL quality. Halverson, they tried to give him a chance to show what he has, and he didn't play very well. Maybe they try to bring him back on an AHL deal, but I don't think they qualify him, regardless of where or when he was drafted. He just hasn't developed much since we took him. They'll sign another Tokarski/Mazanec-type veteran goalie and that will be about it.

I also agree that Bigras will be qualified, and given one final year. Also agreed that Gilmour, O'Gara, and Bergman are likely gone.

Meskanen coming back was, I think, a given. To my knowledge he has no EAC, so he can't leave on his own. That means they would have needed to agree to a mutual termination of his contract. He showed enough last year to warrant another season, I think.

IMO Ty Ronning was misused by being used. He looks like an ECHL-caliber player. Yes, I know he was a rookie, but I didn't see anything from him in the handful of AHL games where I saw him that leads me to believe he has the skill set to thrive in the AHL (and forget about the NHL). I hope to be wrong on that. Leedahl is a 4th line PKer at the AHL level and nothing more. He doesn't have any legitimate professional skill. You don't go 29 full games without a point, even with limited TOI, if you have AHL-caliber skill. He's a nothing prospect.

I don't see it with Vinni. He's a better Ryan Gropp, but still has the same issues of not consistently finding the space to get off his shot and otherwise not really bringing much to the table. You definitely qualify him--legitimate star 4A player, always the possibility he take an unexpected step--but I don't feel that the Rangers have made any mistakes with him. They've given him opportunities and he hasn't done much with them. And now he's about to get pushed out by higher-end prospects.

I don't know why Fontaine would be "on the bubble." He has a year left. Hopefully he takes the Fogarty leap. If not, then he's a fine 3/4C for Hartford who can also kill penalties well. He's not much of a prospect but I can't understand why someone would think the Rangers would just dump him at this point.

I also think Crawley and Gropp will be playing for a QO next year. I think Gropp's improvement towards the end of the season puts him in a better spot. I don't think Crawley is very good. Again, like some of the other guys mentioned, you can not qualify him and it's unlikely that anyone else gives him an NHL deal--so you can try to bring them back on an AHL deal if you still like something about them.

I know this is limited to existing NA prospects, but I'll add Lakatos is done in our organization and I'm 50/50 on Virta. Based on this season I would have guessed that they would not give him a deal, but there have been a few quotes from people around him/his teams about him heading to North America, so we'll see.

Crawley is much better than people think.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Crawley is much better than people think.
Disagree. I think he's a career AHLer. But even if he makes it somehow it's as a spare defenseman. He has no standout skills and is undisciplined. He's fine as an organizational guy even if he was healthy scratched a bunch, but whatever, he's far down the depth charts and likely inconsequential for more than a fill-in role until someone good is ready/healthy/whatever.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Disagree. I think he's a career AHLer. But even if he makes it somehow it's as a spare defenseman. He has no standout skills and is undisciplined. He's fine as an organizational guy even if he was healthy scratched a bunch, but whatever, he's far down the depth charts and likely inconsequential for more than a fill-in role until someone good is ready/healthy/whatever.

I think he is one of our most physical Dmen and can be a shutdown type that can also score.

Season in Review: Brandon Crawley

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think he is one of our most physical Dmen and can be a shutdown type that can also score.

Season in Review: Brandon Crawley
Why are you linking to a fluff piece from the Rangers' site from two seasons back? If you believe what you read there, every random chud we have is a future star.

He is physical but he's also undisciplined, as I mentioned. Tanner Glass was physical but took himself out of plays to hit guys. So does Crawley.

As far as offense, he never showed the ability to score in junior hockey. Other than a four game stretch this past season where he went 1+5, he was a non-factor. Final 23 games he had 3 points. None in his final 14. I wouldn't expect him to suddenly become an offensive contributor in his age 23 season.

Reactions: Osminator

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Why are you linking to a fluff piece from the Rangers' site from two seasons back? If you believe what you read there, every random chud we have is a future star.

He is physical but he's also undisciplined, as I mentioned. Tanner Glass was physical but took himself out of plays to hit guys. So does Crawley.

As far as offense, he never showed the ability to score in junior hockey. Other than a four game stretch this past season where he went 1+5, he was a non-factor. Final 23 games he had 3 points. None in his final 14. I wouldn't expect him to suddenly become an offensive contributor in his age 23 season.

Like I said he is probably the most underrated prospect we have right now.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You’re not only replying to a sockpuppet, but the real poster may as well just determine player value by sorting a team’s PIM column from high to low.
Don't knock it until you try it. Chris Nilan was amazing back in the day. And Brad Brown ruled in Sega.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad