Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)/Maine Mariners (ECHL) Thread *Part X*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Agree. Maybe you hit one in every decade. The Rangers did find Jonathan Marchesault who has had a pretty good NHL career. Just interesting that the Rangers have signed more college guys than junior guys. And if we had more guys in our system by signing Wolfpack contracts maybe Hartford wouldn't be stuck desperately looking for ECHL players to fill in gaps as players are recalled and injured.
Not always easy to find the right guys out of the CHL. Maybe Elmer will be--4 points in 5 games to close out the season. We don't have a very good history though. Girardi was a very good one though or at least until he got too old and banged up.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Agree. Maybe you hit one in every decade. The Rangers did find Jonathan Marchesault who has had a pretty good NHL career. Just interesting that the Rangers have signed more college guys than junior guys. And if we had more guys in our system by signing Wolfpack contracts maybe Hartford wouldn't be stuck desperately looking for ECHL players to fill in gaps as players are recalled and injured.

I know the Rangers looked at Girardi in the Memorial Cup. He finished the season with the London Knights I think and his partner was Marc Methot and one of the other teams was Sidney Crosby's Rimouski team. I don't remember who won but it might have been London and I'm pretty sure that Methot and Girardi had the Crosby line assignment.

But anyway Bluenote pointed out some college free agents the other day and a couple Minn-Duluth players--Cole MacKay and Nick Wolff would be good pickups. Wolff is really big and nasty defensemen. He hits like a truck.

Reactions: Ranger Ric

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
The college free agent season is largely over. I think just about every highly rated senior has signed except for forwards Parker Mackay out of Minnesota Duluth and Dylan Malmquist of Notre Dame. Nick Wolff is a junior so he might want to finish college. He also is left handed and that probably is the one position that the Rangers don't need to add.

Corey Ponman did an article rating the top undrafted free agents in college, junior and overseas. On his top 35 list were RW Tristan Logan of Moose Jaw, Center Kevin Hancock of London (he attended Rangers development camp last year), center Peter Abbandonato of Rouyn Noranda and center Samuel Asselin of Halifax.

Here are two links to some top OHL overage prospects:

OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - Overagers Worth Signing (2019)
Five Overage Players NHL Teams Should Sign - The OHL Collective

I know the Rangers looked at Girardi in the Memorial Cup. He finished the season with the London Knights I think and his partner was Marc Methot and one of the other teams was Sidney Crosby's Rimouski team. I don't remember who won but it might have been London and I'm pretty sure that Methot and Girardi had the Crosby line assignment.

But anyway Bluenote pointed out some college free agents the other day and a couple Minn-Duluth players--Cole MacKay and Nick Wolff would be good pickups. Wolff is really big and nasty defensemen. He hits like a truck.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The college free agent season is largely over. I think just about every highly rated senior has signed except for forwards Parker Mackay out of Minnesota Duluth and Dylan Malmquist of Notre Dame. Nick Wolff is a junior so he might want to finish college. He also is left handed and that probably is the one position that the Rangers don't need to add.

Corey Ponman did an article rating the top undrafted free agents in college, junior and overseas. On his top 35 list were RW Tristan Logan of Moose Jaw, Center Kevin Hancock of London (he attended Rangers development camp last year), center Peter Abbandonato of Rouyn Noranda and center Samuel Asselin of Halifax.

Here are two links to some top OHL overage prospects:

OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - Overagers Worth Signing (2019)
Five Overage Players NHL Teams Should Sign - The OHL Collective

I'm thinking Raaymakers was in one of our camps too--I'm not sure--maybe I saw him at Traverse on another team. Something about him is familiar. Brazeau has great hands for someone who is 6'6. We're going to have left D for sure but I'd go after Wolff anyway but maybe he's planning on finishing at Duluth. But Smith and Staal have two years left after which I doubt seriously we'll sign either of them again. But we have others besides those two. I like guys who not only play physical but with an edge. Wolff does that.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm not sure we ever had Raaymakers in for a camp but I talked him up for a couple years as a guy we or some team might take a seventh-round flyer on. He's also familiar as he was Halverson's backup I think the last two years Halverson was in Soo.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Brazeau signed by the Toronto Marlies to an AHL contract.

Justin Brazeau at eliteprospects.com

Yes can't imagine Staal and Smith in New York after two years.

I'm thinking Raaymakers was in one of our camps too--I'm not sure--maybe I saw him at Traverse on another team. Something about him is familiar. Brazeau has great hands for someone who is 6'6. We're going to have left D for sure but I'd go after Wolff anyway but maybe he's planning on finishing at Duluth. But Smith and Staal have two years left after which I doubt seriously we'll sign either of them again. But we have others besides those two. I like guys who not only play physical but with an edge. Wolff does that.

Reactions: eco's bones

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Great info guys. Assuming we Lose Gilmoir/Ogara/Tokarski, we have some contracts to burn. HFD has been a train wreck, we should take a couple more chances to build some depth.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Great info guys. Assuming we Lose Gilmoir/Ogara/Tokarski, we have some contracts to burn. HFD has been a train wreck, we should take a couple more chances to build some depth.
They'll also lose Bergman, Nell, and probably Halverson. Possibly even Bigras, though they ought to keep him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bigras is RFA and I would qualify him. I still think there's some potential there.

Halverson is RFA as well. I would not qualify him. I'd offer him an AHL contract but that's it. No one will offer him an NHL deal.

Gilmour is UFA. I don't think he's worth an NHL deal. I would offer him an AHL deal, but I wouldn't be totally surprised to see someone offer him a two-way NHL contract. I suspect he's gone--he'll want to go somewhere where he has a better shot at sticking.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
They'll also lose Bergman, Nell, and probably Halverson. Possibly even Bigras, though they ought to keep him.
I don't know that they won't re-sign Gilmour. I also don't know that they'll qualify Bigras or Lettieri, but I think more likely than not they do. They probably are ready to move on from Halverson and Nell. I would guess they at least qualify Bergman, maybe try to change his mind.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know that they won't re-sign Gilmour. I also don't know that they'll qualify Bigras or Lettieri, but I think more likely than not they do. They probably are ready to move on from Halverson and Nell. I would guess they at least qualify Bergman, maybe try to change his mind.
We'll see. They didn't seem particularly interested in giving Gilmour any kind of legitimate look this year. They also re-signed Fogarty and Nieves, two Group 6 guys, mid-season. Nothing for Gilmour or O'Gara, the other Group 6 and who I also don't think will be back.

Lettieri I feel pretty confident they'll bring back. They seen to like him and he's a bona fide AHL star, based on this season. I think he's worth an NHL contract.

Bigras is a tougher call. They've never called him up. I don't know. I think he's really good in Hartford and should have gotten a look, but he didn't. So maybe I'm wrong on him and they don't give him a QO.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We'll see. They didn't seem particularly interested in giving Gilmour any kind of legitimate look this year. They also re-signed Fogarty and Nieves, two Group 6 guys, mid-season. Nothing for Gilmour or O'Gara, the other Group 6 and who I also don't think will be back.

Lettieri I feel pretty confident they'll bring back. They seen to like him and he's a bona fide AHL star, based on this season. I think he's worth an NHL contract.

Bigras is a tougher call. They've never called him up. I don't know. I think he's really good in Hartford and should have gotten a look, but he didn't. So maybe I'm wrong on him and they don't give him a QO.
Just a hunch but I think you’re right about Gilmour hoping for a better shot. Maybe they offered to him when they offered to Nieves and to Fogarty (Fogarty IMO no better a prospect, or even as good as Gilmour) but Gilmour turned them down. Maybe he’ll check the market and come back. It’s pretty close to a make or break time for him.

Bigras had a hot start to the season, but a pretty quiet second half. It seems like all the air got sucked out of his sails when he got passed over for a call up by Lindgren and Hajek.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Vinni should be a slam dunk. He's one of the top AHL players and only turned 24 at the end of the season. He's still making significant strides forward with no sign of a plateau. Worst case, he's an AHL superstar, but if he takes another good step forward, Vinni is an NHL third liner.

Bigras offers nothing in the NHL. He's solid all around, but what is his 1 skill that will help improve an NHL team? That's why he never got called up.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bigras offers nothing in the NHL. He's solid all around, but what is his 1 skill that will help improve an NHL team? That's why he never got called up.
With Bigras I see a very good skater. I think his skating is a plus attribute. Beyond that, nothing is plus. He's otherwise average across the board. He's average generating breakouts, average on the PP, his shot is a little above average, he can play adequately on the PK, and his defense is pretty good but not great. I think the total package could play in a 5/6 role. Again, as I stated, the Rangers seem to feel differently though, so who knows.

That said, he just turned 24. I think it's worth giving him another year to see if he can take a step forward, like some of the other guys on the squad did this year. It may not be likely, but unless we're in a pinch for a contract spot, I think it's worth it. At worst, you have a very good AHL player to help the younger defenseman. The difference between him and Gilmour, to me, is that Gilmour is about to be 26 and I'm fairly certain he is what he is at this point, and I probably wouldn't want an NHL contract spot used on him.

But, again, Bigras is probably the hardest guy to predict for me. I think he's worth another year. We'll see.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
With Bigras I see a very good skater. I think his skating is a plus attribute. Beyond that, nothing is plus. He's otherwise average across the board. He's average generating breakouts, average on the PP, his shot is a little above average, he can play adequately on the PK, and his defense is pretty good but not great. I think the total package could play in a 5/6 role. Again, as I stated, the Rangers seem to feel differently though, so who knows.

That said, he just turned 24. I think it's worth giving him another year to see if he can take a step forward, like some of the other guys on the squad did this year. It may not be likely, but unless we're in a pinch for a contract spot, I think it's worth it. At worst, you have a very good AHL player to help the younger defenseman. The difference between him and Gilmour, to me, is that Gilmour is about to be 26 and I'm fairly certain he is what he is at this point, and I probably wouldn't want an NHL contract spot used on him.

But, again, Bigras is probably the hardest guy to predict for me. I think he's worth another year. We'll see.

I agree with all of this. I was just saying why the Rangers didnt call him up and he may not have a real NHL future. But again, with a 24 year old, you really don't know if his development is over and now he plateaus or if he keeps making strides for 2 more seasons. He's easily worth an NHL contract and will get it somewhere. If his demands are reasonable, I'd bring him back.

Last edited:

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Bigras wasn't really available for callups because he was hurt most of the time the Rangers were looking to call up D.

Gilmour was the the second-leading scoring defenseman in the AHL. If you do not re-sign him, he will have to be replaced with an experienced puck-moving AHL blueliner to replace that production, drive the offense, and run the power play. Players like that are just not going to sign for less than an NHL deal, and are more likely to jump to Europe than play on an AHL deal.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Bigras wasn't really available for callups because he was hurt most of the time the Rangers were looking to call up D.

Gilmour was the the second-leading scoring defenseman in the AHL. If you do not re-sign him, he will have to be replaced with an experienced puck-moving AHL blueliner to replace that production, drive the offense, and run the power play. Players like that are just not going to sign for less than an NHL deal, and are more likely to jump to Europe than play on an AHL deal.

It’s really strange how the Rangers overall health on D this year really hindered the opportunity for a call-up to even have the chance to step in and solidify a role. That’s actually how McDonagh ended up breaking into the league. Roszival got hurt, McDonagh came up and by the time Rozy was healthy, they didn’t need him anymore. He got traded for Wolski shortly after.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Tokarski may go to Sweden next season
NHL-meriterad målvakt aktuell för SHL-klubbar

he hasn't played yet in the AHL playoffs for Charlotte (AHL),
TheAHL.com
but with Mrazek inured, Nedeljkovic has been recalled, i believe

(for those who missed it,
NYR had loaned Tokarski to Canes' AHL affiliate on Feb 28,
in return, Canes assigned to HWP RHD Josh Wesley, CT-born (dad Glen was a Whaler) spare (more ECHL games than AHL all 3 years pro)
Checkers Acquire Dustin Tokarski, Loan Josh Wesley To Hartford - Charlotte Checkers Hockey - gocheckers.com
... maybe a side convo of early Fox discussions ...)

Wesley's ELC expires, will be Canes' RFA in summer, if not qualified,
i could see possibility HWP signing him to AHL deal for depth on right-side, could be stashed in Maine as needed.
i guess we all expect that HWP's best D-corps projects as members of this list when not hurt or in NHL: Hajek, Rykov, Fox, Lindgren, Bigras, Day, Crawley, Keane, Raddysh

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
How did Huska look in his stint in Hartford?

It's near-impossible to hold the stat line against him, considering the roster we were icing while he was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad