Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL) / Maine Mariners (ECHL) 2018-19: Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Lettieri has re-found his touch with HWP, 2 goals including late tying goal and shootout winner

Reactions: egelband

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
How has Nieves looked since returning from injury? Interesting that Gettinger got the call up over him. Timmy Getts absolutely deserves it though, great start to his pro career.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I still have hope for Vinni. I think he was mid-cast on the fourth line. Though he did ok defensively. I don’t know. But don’t want to give up on the guy so fast.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So Bridgeport goes up 2-0 in the first. Lettieri scores late in the second and very late in the 3rd to take the game to OT. Goes to a shootout and Lettieri's goal in the shootout wins the game for the Wolfpack 3-2. Vinni's doing well again.

There's a saying in Dutch, which I am not sure translates well to English but it describes Lettieri quite well.

"He's too big for the napkin, but not big enough for the table cloth". Lettieri is a great player in the AHL, but just doesn't really have the tools for the NHL. Maybe he will develop those still. It's only his 2nd season as a pro hockey player.

Reactions: TheTakedown

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There's a saying in Dutch, which I am not sure translates well to English but it describes Lettieri quite well.

"He's too big for the napkin, but not big enough for the table cloth". Lettieri is a great player in the AHL, but just doesn't really have the tools for the NHL. Maybe he will develop those still. It's only his 2nd season as a pro hockey player.

I think it's a little early to come to that conclusion on Lettieri. This is only his second year but I know what you mean. Chris Bourque and Kris Newbury were players who would tear up the AHL but once in the NHL they kind of weren't good enough. Peter Holland strikes me as a player something like that too.

Lettieri if he ever does make it is going to be a bottom 6 winger. The problem this year is he never got going and couldn't keep away from making dumb ass plays which kept the coaching staff continually reducing his minutes. The one thing that makes me think an NHL career is very achievable for him is he'll shoot the puck every chance he gets and I think he's capable if he can get the rest of his game coordinated of getting enough pucks to the net to make him a worthwhile NHL player.

Nieves is still an interesting prospect to me but he's not a player that gets enough shots. He's kind of like Fast in that regard. I think Fast is a bit more creative a player though he passes off on shots to make a play so often that he becomes easy for defenses and goalies to read. Nieves seems to have even more of that than Fast does which leads me to think his upside as an NHL player is 4th line and stops there. He has a great combination of size, skating and stick skills though. No killer instinct as far as an offensive game goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Dutch are so incredibly weird.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Wolfpack beat Bridgeport again 3-1. One game above .500 now. Tokarski stops 42 out of 43. Gilmour, Holland and St. Amant with the goals--Lettieri with two assists. Crawley for the second game in a row with a fight.

Reactions: egelband and bl02

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I still have hope for Vinni. I think he was mid-cast on the fourth line. Though he did ok defensively. I don’t know. But don’t want to give up on the guy so fast.

I don't see him being able to consistently get to scoring areas at the NHL level. Maybe it's being on the fourth line but he doesnt' seem to do particularly good at other areas of the game and I don't see why he should be playing in the top 9 over the other wingers the Rangers have.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and jas

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Nieves is still an interesting prospect to me but he's not a player that gets enough shots. He's kind of like Fast in that regard. I think Fast is a bit more creative a player though he passes off on shots to make a play so often that he becomes easy for defenses and goalies to read. Nieves seems to have even more of that than Fast does which leads me to think his upside as an NHL player is 4th line and stops there. He has a great combination of size, skating and stick skills though. No killer instinct as far as an offensive game goes.

Injuries have hurt Nieves' development as well but every time I see him at the NHL level he just doesn't seem to have the head for the offensive game in the NHL.

I'm being harsh on these guys but on the other hand I'd rather have either of them in the lineup than McLeod...

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
That's a relief about Ronning.

Hopefully he gets back to Hartford soon and picks up his game. He was always going to be a dark horse to make the NHL, but it was really starting to look like he was going to flare out much earlier than anybody expected.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pedrie is a pretty decent AHL player and I figured he'd do well in the ECHL. Day is a pleasant surprise.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nice to see both performing well, but I think I would give each maybe a 5% chance to ever play in the NHL
Yeah Pedrie being almost 25, I think that ship has sailed. He could find success as a good career AHLer or in Europe. Day is still young enough that I think there's room for development and he could yet become some kind of NHL player. Unfortunately they both got caught in a numbers game with guys like O'Gara and Bigras that definitely belong in the AHL, Hajek and Lindgren, the two bigger prospects, and then a Gilmour who IMO sucks but is very productive. And then of course Crawley who is mediocre but still has some potential and brings something the other guys really don't (other than O'Gara).

I thought before the year that Day, Pedrie, Ronning and Leedahl would all play in the ECHL. Leedahl has worked his way back, but the rest are no surprise. Although, I did think when Lindqvist left that Ronning would get more of a look. Instead they went with St. Amant, and Wallin who isn't even on an actual AHL deal, which doesn't say much about what they though Ronning was doing.

Reactions: Ranger Ric

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Injuries have hurt Nieves' development as well but every time I see him at the NHL level he just doesn't seem to have the head for the offensive game in the NHL.

I'm being harsh on these guys but on the other hand I'd rather have either of them in the lineup than McLeod...

Pretty much agree. McLeod does get a lot of hits in his avg. 7 minutes of ice time. He's pretty much a one trick pony though. Seriously Tanner Glass was a better skater, a better fighter and you could throw him out on the penalty kill now and again. McLeod just does the fighting (and not very well), the hitting and he crashes nets pretty well.

Nieves is a great skater with size and very good stick skills but almost 0 creative sense. IMO he has a future as a 4th line center if he can stay away from the head injuries. I think he's capable of 15-20 points a year, checking assignments and a penalty kill role.

Reactions: nyr2k2

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah Pedrie being almost 25, I think that ship has sailed. He could find success as a good career AHLer or in Europe. Day is still young enough that I think there's room for development and he could yet become some kind of NHL player. Unfortunately they both got caught in a numbers game with guys like O'Gara and Bigras that definitely belong in the AHL, Hajek and Lindgren, the two bigger prospects, and then a Gilmour who IMO sucks but is very productive. And then of course Crawley who is mediocre but still has some potential and brings something the other guys really don't (other than O'Gara).

I thought before the year that Day, Pedrie, Ronning and Leedahl would all play in the ECHL. Leedahl has worked his way back, but the rest are no surprise. Although, I did think when Lindqvist left that Ronning would get more of a look. Instead they went with St. Amant, and Wallin who isn't even on an actual AHL deal, which doesn't say much about what they though Ronning was doing.

I have to believe that part of the reason for leaving Ronning where he is, is to get his confidence back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad