Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL) / Maine Mariners (ECHL) 2018-19: Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
People should have high expectations for a 2nd round pick when the team comes out and says he was their 6th rated forward in the ENTIRE draft

A draft that could go down as one of the best in a decade

In a draft with McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner, Meier, Rantanen, DeBrusk, Barzal, Connor, White, Boeser, Roslovic, Kocnecy, Aho, Beauvillier, and Zacha

And that's just the guys I saw at first glance

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The pick may have been bad but you can't really complain about the Hagelin trade, aside from Sather putting us in a position where we could not re-sign him.

- 3rd line winger
- RFA
- On a team without cap space

That limits his value

This is very true. The trade itself was fine and necessary it's just the assets that came back were not good. Etem had no hockey IQ, and the pick was used on the wrong player.

It's in the past though. Can't do anything about it now.

Reactions: Speedtrials

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
People should have high expectations for a 2nd round pick when the team comes out and says he was their 6th rated forward in the ENTIRE draft

In a draft with McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner, Meier, Rantanen, DeBrusk, Barzal, Connor, White, Boeser, Roslovic, Kocnecy, Aho, Beauvillier, and Zacha

Whether or not he was actually their sixth rated forward is debatable. It could be bluster. I mean, it could be the truth, but it could be bluster. Teams like to talk up their players.

The guys taken in the second, after Gropp, aren't exactly great, either. Everyone whines that we didn't pick Sprong, but he has yet to look like any kind of NHL regular despite tearing up the AHL. Yes, he's only 21, but still--something looks "missing" to me when it comes to Sprong. We'll see. Beyond that, you've got Jordan Greenway and Vince Dunn as your most accomplished picks in the second (again, behind Gropp). Maybe Rasmus Andersson, though his offense hasn't translated to the NHL yet, at all. Bracco was another that people wanted and he may or may not make it.

I mean, no doubt Gropp was a whiff. Big-time. But, sometimes we talk about it like there were a bunch of awesome guys right behind him. To this point, that hasn't been proven true.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

All the best guys in that draft (besides Kaprizov) were taken before our first pick, we missed out on some decent depth guys like Cirelli but no one else is that big of a loss

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We haven't turned a 2nd round pick into a consistent NHL player since Stepan in 2008.

That ain't great.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don’t have high hopes for last year’s 2nd, either.
I hated that pick but I don't really have any feelings on the player yet. He seemed to be fairly well-regarded by the pundits, generally a 3rd-4th round pick or even a second in McKenzie's case, any of which would dictate a pretty decent goaltending prospect. It sucks that he's been injured all year, so we haven't really been able to see what he's got.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I hated that pick but I don't really have any feelings on the player yet. He seemed to be fairly well-regarded by the pundits, generally a 3rd-4th round pick or even a second in McKenzie's case, any of which would dictate a pretty decent goaltending prospect. It sucks that he's been injured all year, so we haven't really been able to see what he's got.

It’s not so much the player, but, our record on goalies in the 2nd round isn’t exactly sterling. Strike that, it’s awful.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It’s not so much the player, but, our record on goalies in the 2nd round isn’t exactly sterling. Strike that, it’s awful.
I mean, in the last couple decades, isn't it really just Halverson and Lafleur? Am I forgetting someone? I don't know if two guys makes it a trend. Does Richter break the trend? We also drafted some dude named Doug Soetaert back in '75 and he played 284 games.

Are we good at drafting goalies in the seventh round because we took Lundqvist and Holmqvist?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I mean, in the last couple decades, isn't it really just Halverson and Lafleur? Am I forgetting someone? I don't know if two guys makes it a trend. Does Richter break the trend? We also drafted some dude named Doug Soetaert back in '75 and he played 284 games.

Are we good at drafting goalies in the seventh round because we took Lundqvist and Holmqvist?

My belief remains you don’t take goalies before the fourth round. It’s a complete waste of value.

And, I am referring to the prior two times the current brain trust selected goalies in the 2nd round. Yes, that would be LaFleur and Halverson.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
My belief remains you don’t take goalies before the fourth round. It’s a complete waste of value.
I mean, I agree. Just seemed odd to reference our "awful" track record with second round goalies since I didn't really think there was a track record to speak of.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We haven't turned a 2nd round pick into a consistent NHL player since Stepan in 2008.

That ain't great.

No, it's not. We also traded our second four times and essentially flipped seconds with Phoenix/Arizona in the Werek/Lindberg deal. So that's 50 percent of the second rounders right there.

We've tended to do better with our thirds.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
It would appear that the scouting of Gropp is likely one of the reasons Gorton upgraded the Ranger scouting of the WHL.
our last 20 years of WHL picks have been ronning (7th), gropp (2nd), zborovskiy (3rd), morrison (4th), nejezchleb (5th), skapski (6th), st croix (4th), mccolgan (5th), mcilrath (1st), mcnaught (7th), weise (4th), hunter (6th), sauer (2nd), dupont (3rd), flatt (3rd), russell (7th), byers (2nd), dubinsky (2nd), dawes (5th), blackburn (1st), murray (3rd), hollweg (8th), novak (2nd), brendl (1st), lundmark (1st), bembridge (5th).

thats utterly atrocious. only dubinksy and sauer in the 2nd and weise in the 4th had noteworthy nhl careers. many of those guys werent even good in the AHL. 4 1st round picks got the rangers 215 career games as ny rangers. i do hope we werent actually paying anyone to scout that league for us over the past 20 years.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Meaning that he was much better then that, he was a beast at 5v5 and on the PK.
Hagelin was a first line caliber 5v5 player in 2011-12 and 2012-13.

He is still a possession demon and Penguins fans are scratching their head as to why Malkin suddenly looks like "straight doo doo" since he was traded to LA.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Shot metrics? Elite pretty much across the board.

This doesn't mean i Think he was elite, just that he was definitely more then a 3rd liner.

His shots on goal per game were elite? Would have fooled me.

Hags to me is in the same bracket as Fast. Very good 3rd liner / utility player.

Edit: not skilled enough to be a regular top6.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
His shots on goal per game were elite? Would have fooled me.

Hags to me is in the same bracket as Fast. Very good 3rd liner / utility player.

Edit: not skilled enough to be a regular top6.

Not shot on goal, the way he drives play was elite (still is good).

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not shot on goal, the way he drives play was elite (still is good).

It’s not the same. Hagelin was definitely good in retrieving pucks and creating space for his linemates. Maybe ability to drive a play without generating own shots is how you separate true top-liners vs. utility. Anyway this discussion is not here nor there so let’s agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad