Management Harry Sinden speaks..............

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
So if the completely unexpected didn't happen, the Bruins would have been the ONE team that had all the cards. Sounds like simple horrible luck to me.

And what does Jacobs position with the league have to do with anything?
Owners against Players. Bettman works for the Owners. The NHL Board of Governors is the governing body of all the Owners. They govern the League meaning in part they do the following:
  • review and approve any changes to the league's rules.
  • hiring and firing of the commissioner.
  • review and approve the purchase, sale, or relocation of any member club.
  • review and approve the salary caps for member clubs.
  • review and approve any changes to the structure of the game schedule.
Jeremy Jacobs has always been a major player and is Chairman of the Board of the Board of Governors.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Owners against Players. Bettman works for the Owners. The NHL Board of Governors is the governing body of all the Owners. They govern the League meaning in part they do the following:
  • review and approve any changes to the league's rules.
  • hiring and firing of the commissioner.
  • review and approve the purchase, sale, or relocation of any member club.
  • review and approve the salary caps for member clubs.
  • review and approve any changes to the structure of the game schedule.
Jeremy Jacobs has always been a major player and is Chairman of the Board of the Board of Governors.

Yes, I'm aware.

And how does that play into the decision to strip the roster and grab top players cheap after the Cap goes in?

The players decision to give up 24% of their salary came well after the Bruins had cleared their roster. Was Jacobs suppose to tell the owners "no, I don't think its a good idea for the players to give us a quarter of their salaries back"?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Yes, I'm aware.

And how does that play into the decision to strip the roster and grab top players cheap after the Cap goes in?

The players decision to give up 24% of their salary came well after the Bruins had cleared their roster. Was Jacobs suppose to tell the owners "no, I don't think its a good idea for the players to give us a quarter of their salaries back"?
I get it why he couldn't nix the give back. Of course I do.

However, if you are driving the effort and have been leading the contentious negotiations throughout, would you not agree that you have as much as, if not more, information than any owner? And yet you are the one guy who got it wrong. Completely wrong.

You work for me in that situation and produce those results with all the baked in advantages you had? You're going to get fired, and rightly so. Of course Jeremy is the boss so he can't get fired.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Sinden saying he was worried about Pitt rather than the Isles tells me all I need to know about where his mind is these days

Yes Harry has forgotten more about the game than I`ll ever know but what surprises me more is how many fans here too were more worried about facing Pitt than the Isles

Long before the puck dropped on game 1 my biggest concern was playing a team who had structure and that isn`t the Pens
I was worried about the Isles. Confidence around here was interesting. I didn’t think it was a good matchup.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I get it why he couldn't nix the give back. Of course I do.

However, if you are driving the effort and have been leading the contentious negotiations throughout, would you not agree that you have as much as, if not more, information than any owner? And yet you are the one guy who got it wrong. Completely wrong.

You work for me in that situation and produce those results with all the baked in advantages you had? You're going to get fired, and rightly so. Of course Jeremy is the boss so he can't get fired.

Once again, NO ONE saw the players giving back 24% of their salaries.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Once again, NO ONE saw the players giving back 24% of their salaries.
That's fine. But someone must have thought to ask, because the players didn't just give that up themselves. Maybe it was a last second brainstorm for Jacobs and the negotiating team to ask, maybe it was longer term idea that came to fruition at the end. I don't know.

So let's take the "inside scoop" out of the equation and assume that it was not even on the radar when the Bruins jettisoned players. That way we are on the same page.

Does not change the fact that 29 teams got it right and 1 team got it wrong. Not a good look and given the drastic implications, not defendable either. Epic failure.

Of course that was back in the days that JJ was getting into pissing matches with Illitch in Detroit. Imagine nickel and diming players for years and fielding just enough of a good team to max out playoff revenue but never make sure you won the gauntlet, to then go and spend $5M a year for 4 years on Martin Lapointe in a personal vendetta against Detroit's owner. He's an asshole -- always has been always will be.

Reactions: BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That's fine. But someone must have thought to ask, because the players didn't just give that up themselves. Maybe it was a last second brainstorm for Jacobs and the negotiating team to ask, maybe it was longer term idea that came to fruition at the end. I don't know.

So let's take the "inside scoop" out of the equation and assume that it was not even on the radar when the Bruins jettisoned players. That way we are on the same page.

Does not change the fact that 29 teams got it right and 1 team got it wrong. Not a good look and given the drastic implications, not defendable either. Epic failure.

Of course that was back in the days that JJ was getting into pissing matches with Illitch in Detroit. Imagine nickel and diming players for years and fielding just enough of a good team to max out playoff revenue but never make sure you won the gauntlet, to then go and spend $5M a year for 4 years on Martin Lapointe in a personal vendetta against Detroit's owner. He's an asshole -- always has been always will be.

That explains a lot about your view.

I can't believe people still buy into the absurd scenario of being able to field a very good team every but making sure they don't win it all. After all, winning a cup is bad for business, right?

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Wow, he could have spent whatever it took to get over the top, but chose to pinch pennies instead.
I think part of it too was that he just couldn't accept the reality of players getting to bigger piece of the money pie. He came up during the days where even star players had summer jobs and he just couldn't let it go.

It's like he took it on himself to fight this reality. Almost every negotiation was a grind and often got personal. He had no problem letting good players go if they wanted fair market value deals. He didn't land the big UFAs etc.

They made the playoffs almost every year, even if only for a round, and that was probably good enough for ownership to make a decent profit with the lower than it could be payroll.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I think part of it too was that he just couldn't accept the reality of players getting to bigger piece of the money pie. He came up during the days where even star players had summer jobs and he just couldn't let it go.

It's like he took it on himself to fight this reality. Almost every negotiation was a grind and often got personal. He had no problem letting good players go if they wanted fair market value deals. He didn't land the big UFAs etc.

They made the playoffs almost every year, even if only for a round, and that was probably good enough for ownership to make a decent profit with the lower than it could be payroll.
You could be bang on with this, Harry was definitely old school and no doubt a part of him regretted not getting paid more back in his day.

Reactions: BMC

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
That explains a lot about your view.

I can't believe people still buy into the absurd scenario of being able to field a very good team every but making sure they don't win it all. After all, winning a cup is bad for business, right?
You think Jacobs is good. I do not.

No desire to fight about it. I disagree with your take on how that lockout was handled (on more levels than I’ve commented) and how the Bruins were run for a lot of the 80’s and 90’s and beyond— largely due to Sinden and Jacobs being the kings of relentlessly squeezing the players over and over. In my view the gate and the revenues were what ruled the day.

You’re entitled to your opinion, as am I. Nothing you’ve said makes even a marginal dent in my views and I’ve tried to explain why. Clearly nothing I’ve said has swayed your view, either. Which is fine.

All good. But let’s leave it at that.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
You think Jacobs is good. I do not.

No desire to fight about it. I disagree with your take on how that lockout was handled (on more levels than I’ve commented) and how the Bruins were run for a lot of the 80’s and 90’s and beyond— largely due to Sinden and Jacobs being the kings of relentlessly squeezing the players over and over. In my view the gate and the revenues were what ruled the day.

You’re entitled to your opinion, as am I. Nothing you’ve said makes even a marginal dent in my views and I’ve tried to explain why. Clearly nothing I’ve said has swayed your view, either. Which is fine.

All good. But let’s leave it at that.

Dude loves Jeremy. Must be on the payroll :laugh:

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
My, many here do not like Harry.
I don't mind Harry.
I'm not going to pile on just because a whole bunch don't like him.
He's like a hundred years old...so meh.

Why are the Habs in the semis?
Their fourth line is productive, solid tending by Price and they are generally healthy.

Our 3rd and fourth line were non existent, we lost two of our best d-men, and unlike Varlomov who made big saves when the Isles had defensive breakdowns... Tuukka was far from up to the task

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I respect Jeremy Jacobs. As much as I want the shiny toys every year, his management has made the Bruins the financially healthiest franchise in the league, which in turn allows them to be competitive on a continual basis.

I think of it this way: if a fanbase is a child who wants candy and pizza for dinner every night, MLSE and James Dolan want to be the cool dad and give them pizza to artificially buy their love (and because they want the pizza too). Jacobs tells us no and that we need to eat grilled chicken and vegetables. Maybe we hate it but year over year we're quite healthy while the Leafs are due for a root canal because of all the candy they ate and the Rangers are just starting to get out of a diabetic coma right now.

It is what it is, can't have it all all the time, and since the salary cap went into effect (largely pushed by Jacobs of course), Neely and Sweeney have a firm budget to buy the groceries so you can't blame cheapness anymore like it's 2001.

Reactions: Alicat

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
My, many here do not like Harry.
I don't mind Harry.
I'm not going to pile on just because a whole bunch don't like him.
He's like a hundred years old...so meh.

Why are the Habs in the semis?
Their fourth line is productive, solid tending by Price and they are generally healthy.

Our 3rd and fourth line were non existent, we lost two of our best d-men, and unlike Varlomov who made big saves when the Isles had defensive breakdowns... Tuukka was far from up to the task
The North. End of story. Regular divisions and regular playoffs they are golfing and Bergevin has already been fired. Ironically going up against the forever tepid Leafs and the Jets is going to hurt them in the long run. Will make Bergevin think he's onto something. He is not.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
I respect Jeremy Jacobs. As much as I want the shiny toys every year, his management has made the Bruins the financially healthiest franchise in the league, which in turn allows them to be competitive on a continual basis.

I think of it this way: if a fanbase is a child who wants candy and pizza for dinner every night, MLSE and James Dolan want to be the cool dad and give them pizza to artificially buy their love (and because they want the pizza too). Jacobs tells us no and that we need to eat grilled chicken and vegetables. Maybe we hate it but year over year we're quite healthy while the Leafs are due for a root canal because of all the candy they ate and the Rangers are just starting to get out of a diabetic coma right now.

It is what it is, can't have it all all the time, and since the salary cap went into effect (largely pushed by Jacobs of course), Neely and Sweeney have a firm budget to buy the groceries so you can't blame cheapness anymore like it's 2001.

Jeremy Jacobs and Sinden felt that Ray Bourque was overpaid in the end of his prime....think about that for a minute.

HOCKEY; Bourque Arbitrator Rules for Bruins (Published 1993)

One of the most shameful moments in the history of this franchise. One that probably would have resulted in his trade had they ruled in favor of Bourque.

Mr. Burns is the worst.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

You realize Sinden left the Bruins originally after the 1970 Cup in a contract dispute right? Sinden is a hypocritical, lying cheapskate who made himself and JJ rich at the cost of championships. He and Monty Burns should be held in nothing but contempt by Bruins fans.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
The North. End of story. Regular divisions and regular playoffs they are golfing and Bergevin has already been fired. Ironically going up against the forever tepid Leafs and the Jets is going to hurt them in the long run. Will make Bergevin think he's onto something. He is not.
Montreal will indeed have a reality check vs LV. Montreal did play surprisingly physical, especially their defence.

Putting that aside, Montreal was neither going to beat Toronto nor the Jets so say the critics.
On the poll here on HF however I took the Habs to beat the Leafs in 6.
Montreal tweaked here and there and grabbed a guy like Cory Perry and put him on the fourth line. Instantly that line has become an important aspect to their success so far.

Meanwhile with our lines 3-4 it was a rotation of AHLers playing with guys like Coyle who needs quality guys around him.

We are a far cry from what we had in 2011 when Therrien rolled 4 lines throughout a game.
Bruce was benching the 4th line or the 3rd and juggling the other two.

Last edited:

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
The fact that Harry is allowed in the building after wasting two HoF players careers is unforgivable.

While Pissburgh went out and added Francis to their roster
Harry brought in Moe Lemay and Mats Naslund on the cheap.

The guy is a carny sideshow fleecing money maker for multi millionaires.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

But we can blame him for refusing/failing to think outside the box when it comes to hiring/firing front office management. Right now his team is saddled with mediocre (at best) management. It is on him or his deputy/ son, Charlie, to fix it. And I doubt that happens because hiring/promoting from within is a lot less expensive than hiring people from the outside. There is no salary cap for front office signings except from within the organization and the choice was made when Chiarelli was fired to go back to the less expensive route (not saying PC didn't need to be fired btw I was done with him after the Boychuk trade).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad