Management Harry Sinden speaks..............

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don't think Harry intended to throw Cassidy under the bus but....

To Harry Sinden, the bottom line in this Bruins playoff downfall was a lack of scoring - The Boston Globe
Harry’s opinion on who should have been in goal for the Bruins at the start of Game 6?

“I don’t want to answer that,” said Sinden. “You have to be sitting in the locker room to make that call. That’s a tough call. I understand that it’s tough for a coach to take out the guy you perceive to be your No. 1 goalie. Obviously, everybody would have liked to have seen the backup guy go, but I wouldn’t criticize that move.”

The “backup guy” was rookie Jeremy Swayman. Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy went with veteran Tuukka Rask, even though Rask appeared to be injured and had a subpar Game 5 in a 5-4 loss. Late Wednesday, after the Bruins were eliminated, Rask confirmed he could be headed for surgery, but issued no detail on his injury.

“That’s a little different,” acknowledged Sinden, sounding like many Bruins fans. “You’ve got to come clean on that.

So what happened in this series?

“I was worried sick we were going to get Pittsburgh and then we got the Islanders and they ended up being tougher for us than Pittsburgh probably would have been,” Sinden said.

“I really thought we were pretty equally balanced teams. I think the game they played and the periods when they played their best were very much like the way we played when we won. You really only play as well as the other team lets you.

“There were stretches when we dominated and looked like the better team. It’s easy to say that we dominated and didn’t score. But scoring’s part of it. You’ve got to be able to finish. [Taylor] Hall showed a bit of that when we first got him, but they were able to control him in this series.

“We faltered on the forward lines in terms of goal scoring. You can’t underestimate the value of scoring goals. That’s what wins games. We didn’t get nearly enough goals out of not just the bottom two lines but the bottom three lines, really.

“We got good, hard play. What the team counts on from those bottom-six forwards is a goal here or there that can really help out. I don’t think we got enough of that. You’ve got to have at least two lines that can score. I’m not diminishing the other lines. I’ve just saying that we didn’t get enough goals out of them.”

The Bruins won the Cup in Brad Marchand’s rookie season 10 years ago. Rask was a backup on that team, which featured star centers Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. Together, they have advanced to three Cup Finals and won one, but they have made it past the second round just once since 2013. Bergeron is going into his 18th season, and Rask and Krejci are free agents.

“They were a terrific group and still are,” said Sinden.

“I wouldn’t start over with this team. We had a very entertaining team and an absolutely great and entertaining player in Marchand. And Bergy, of course. [Charlie] McAvoy developed into one of the best defensemen in the league this year. But we’re short of a full squad of 20.

“It obviously didn’t finish too well, but we just need to find more secondary scoring.”

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
At what depth of the Scotch bottle did they find him at for this interview? Amazing that the Globe doesn't have the balls to go to ownership for this but need to go thru a proxy voice like this. It's pandering to ghosts at this stage.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What I posted in the other thread:

Regardless of my thoughts on Sinden. Mostly financial.
The man knows more about hockey than all of us here Id say.

Hes also no dummy in how to say stuff.
The first part about goalies = Cassidy.

The main reason he gives ( he also lambasts officiating in article) is lack of scoring talent = Neely/Sweeney.

Message sent.

And YES , oh boy YES, old Harry still has Jacobs ear.

Gonna be interesting.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

The main reason he gives ( he also lambasts officiating in article) is lack of scoring talent = Neely/Sweeney.

Message sent.

Gonna be interesting.

You know how every mafia movie has a scene where the Don goes to see the 90 year old uncle from the old country who's retired from the life but has an aura of power around him? That's coming to mind right now.

Cam Neely sets the agenda for the hockey operations 99% of the time. But Harry will make a phone call once a year and Cam knows that you damn sure better listen to what he says.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006

Message sent.

Gonna be interesting.

When he says “we” it is different when the lunatic fringe says “we”

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I would love for them to bring in outsiders who will tell Harry to take a hike. The fact that a guy whose nearly 90 is still a “Senior Advisor” is scary. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is pulling some strings behind the scenes.
I think Chia kind of shut him out which played a factor in letting him go. The fact Sweeney was a Bruins lifer who would involve Sinden probably helped him get the job.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
At what depth of the Scotch bottle did they find him at for this interview? Amazing that the Globe doesn't have the balls to go to ownership for this but need to go thru a proxy voice like this. It's pandering to ghosts at this stage.

Exactly! I read the full article and he said his wife was mad he was yelling during the game and said she could go watch tv upstairs. No update on the smashed bottle or slurring of words during the interview! HA!!! If Harry wasn’t an advisor I’d say sure, speak up. But he’s part of the problem. Don’t tell me Cam and Donny don’t speak to him regularly. Whatever. We won a Cup when we brought in new blood. Chia and Claude, not also ran ex-Bruins. Time to do that again but I doubt it will happen. Charlie will listen to Cam who will say ‘Let’s play up tempo hockey! Sign Rick Zombo to help the D!!!!’

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Jesus..

They’ve been saying secondary scoring is an issue for years now, still somehow an issue. Sweeney’s drafts blow, you have no forwards capable of contributing on entry level or low level contracts that allows the flexibility to go get already established talent.

The defenseman he drafted are no better than bottom pairing right now, some can’t even crack the lineup over a guy picked up off waivers.

It’s pathetic. If they’re not gonna fire Neely/Sweeney then at the very least they need to clean out the scouting staff. We have enough off the board and undersized d-man prospects, their services are no longer needed.

Harry should be in a nursing home never mind making decisions in an NHL organization. Go get an outsider, enough with the old boys club.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yep, Bruce is gone.

Nope. No he isn't.

Bruce was outcoached. Bruce needs to understand the value of size and physicality. So do his superiors.

Cassidy is a very capable coach. Unless the Bruins play terribly next season, which I doubt, he will not be sacrificed for at least two years.

If and when he is -- when, I guess, as he's an NHL coach -- Neely and Sweeney will sell whoever it is for another two years.

If that doesn't work, those two will be gone.

So, plan on at least four more years of this stuff. However good it's been. However poor.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Expect nothing less from CHB and his hack companion, KPD.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Message sent.

Gonna be interesting.

All agreed.

But, not to be uncharitable about it, Sinden will pass from the scene, as will Mr. Burns.

Looking forward.

And again, PS, if anyone thinks Bruce is gone, or Sweeney and Neely are gone within the next two to four years, think again.

They're going to ride this until they drive it into the ground. Gotta keep that check coming in.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
You know how every mafia movie has a scene where the Don goes to see the 90 year old uncle from the old country who's retired from the life but has an aura of power around him? That's coming to mind right now.

Cam Neely sets the agenda for the hockey operations 99% of the time. But Harry will make a phone call once a year and Cam knows that you damn sure better listen to what he says.

Ugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad