Harrow 300 Review

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Good to hear, I've got sticks ranging from 90-125 (pro sale couldn't pass it up) And while I can feel the stick flex on my shooting pad, I just don't get anything when I'm shooting on the ice. Was thinking a real whippy stick would help me get that mechanics down on the ice, and see if I could progress back up to some of the stiffer sticks.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
I emailed Harrow the other day to see if they had anything other than what is on their site (mainly something between their INT 60 and SR 75) and they said no. They also said that they wouldn't recommend then INT as they feel I would break it...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Got the 60 flex and #3 (Drury) curve in yesterday...

Perfect height for me. Just above the nose in bare feet with no cutting. That's about 1/2" shorter than my game stick, which felt a bit long last time I used it.

It is whippy for sure. My 75 flex (cut down 5" to 100 flex which is obviously not accurate) I can only flex just a little and it feels just a bit stiff. The 60 flex feels a bit whippy, so hopefully it doesn't break in too much.

The #3 curve is identical to the Drury. I've been using a wood Drury blade so I'm excited to go back to a stiffer composite version. Should make for a bit harder shot.

Worst case scenario, I put the #3 blade into the 75 flex and my 60 flex is a backup...but I also have a couple more sticks coming in the mail.

As usual, quick shipping, everything looks great, and the white shaft with black/red highlights is GORGEOUS.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Got my new 75 flex concave shaft last night. I haven't taken any shots with it yet, but from holding it in my hands, I don't really feel any difference between the shape of it and my box shaft. Maybe it's because I haven't played in a while (darn MCL) but I was expecting something perhaps a bit more pronounced in the shape. I'll give em a side-by-side soon.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
well, due to me searching for a stick to compare to the lightness and flex of my Synergy Elite '09 (425 grams before 1" butt end) and about 77 flex, I notice Harrow offers a OPS that weighs in at 450 grams. I know their shafts run a little long, so I'm hoping the same goes for their Syncro ProLite OPS. The 50% off promo code just enticed me to give it a shot as the only curve offered in it happens to be the one on my Synergy. Hopefully all goes well.

https://harrowsports.com/Zing.asp?Item=28049&Group=1106&Type=34&Cat=52&StoreID=

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Broke my first Harrow blade the other night. Snapped it in the middle of the curve. Perfect time for the 50% off so I picked up a 60 flex shaft just for curiosities sake.

trtaylor

May 5, 2010
Broke my first Harrow blade the other night. Snapped it in the middle of the curve. Perfect time for the 50% off so I picked up a 60 flex shaft just for curiosities sake.
Interested in what you think of their 60 flex shaft. I bought a 75 flex, but after cutting 6 inches it's stiff. Am told the Harrow intermediate shafts are already 5" shorter than their senior shafts, so concerned it will be too whippy, as I'll only need to cut an inch from it.

Thanks.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Interested in what you think of their 60 flex shaft. I bought a 75 flex, but after cutting 6 inches it's stiff. Am told the Harrow intermediate shafts are already 5" shorter than their senior shafts, so concerned it will be too whippy, as I'll only need to cut an inch from it.

Thanks.

I just got a 60 flex a few weeks back and IMO you'll love it. I cut 5" off the 75 flex and use the 60 uncut and AT THAT LENGTH the 60 flex feels about 15 flex whippier than the 75. The shaft diameter is the same too, nice bonus.

Just ordered ANOTHER blade, a Forsberg. I wanted something with no loft and a lower lie for when I'm playing D and doing a lot more passing, rather than when I play forward and do a lot of shooting. So that will bring the total blades up to...5 Harrows I believe. :D

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006
I'm still learning, and enjoying my 92 flex Harrow 300, I have a few other sticks with higher flex numbers that I've been experimenting with and was thinking of picking something up with more whip, more to learn the mechanics of how to handle it.

I'm 6'4 265 would I simply snap a 75 flex stick if I tried to use it?

It depends on your mechanics. Probably not unless you're Chris Pronger. If your mechanics are good, then you wont snap it right away, but it WILL have a shorter shelf life for you than a 100 flex if you keep putting all your body weight into it. Of course the flipside is that for the time it stays in tact you should be able to fire off some lazers if you have the proper mechanics.

Of course if youre a beginner and you havent got the right technique down, then it's really unpredictable what is going to happen with your sticks. Poor mechanics (and everyone has them when they first start so its nothing to feel bad about) usually lead to either not getting enough weight on the shot, which means that the stick wont be under any stress, but youre not going to get off a good shot either, getting off some shots just right, and then loading your weight at the wrong place/wrong time which will snap a 75 flex or a 110 flex.

Once you get it down pat, the flex will become like a trade off for you. A lower flex will give you harder shots (to a point, you can have a flex too low and your stick will be equivalent to a wet noodle) but you will put a lot of stress on the stick and it wont have a shelf life of too long. A stiffer flex will last you almost forever unless someone chops it or something, but you will likely not be able to get your full power on your shots. In the end it comes down to what you like.

NHL players all get insane amounts of strength on their shots, and some opt to use flexes as high as 115 or 120, such as Chris Pronger, or Alex Kovalev, while others opt to use flexes as low as 60 or 70 like Alex Ovechkin or Phil Kessel. It all comes down to what you feel most comfortable with. For me anything between 80-90 gives me the combination of power that I like without putting too much stress on the stick from whipping it too much.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is kind of a wash. Ya, their shipping is a little out of hand, but HM is about the same by the time they charge their "handling" fee. I know what you mean though.

I'm confused. Shipping on my order is showing 9.00 and tax 4.38. Seems pretty standard to me. Do they charge a handling fee once you actually place the order or something that I'm missing? Less than $90 for a shaft/blade is pretty cheap.

trtaylor

May 5, 2010
I'm confused. Shipping on my order is showing 9.00 and tax 4.38. Seems pretty standard to me. Do they charge a handling fee once you actually place the order or something that I'm missing? Less than $90 for a shaft/blade is pretty cheap.
I found same thing. Shaft and blade delivered was $83.20 for mine.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Yup, I play with it over my Easton OPS and I have little to complain about. Show me another stick for 60 bucks that is as good as a Harrow and I am all ears.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Second this. The harrow rep brought some free demos to my college team and not a single person liked any of the sticks. They all felt heavy and sucked.

When you have to pay for equipment, it's a different story. I would love to use One95s, Easton S19s, or Synergy SE16s, but the truth is, I can't afford to spend $200 on a stick every two months. Very few people can. You want a stick to last longer than a few games, you need to sacrifice some weight and puck feel for durability.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
well, due to me searching for a stick to compare to the lightness and flex of my Synergy Elite '09 (425 grams before 1" butt end) and about 77 flex, I notice Harrow offers a OPS that weighs in at 450 grams. I know their shafts run a little long, so I'm hoping the same goes for their Syncro ProLite OPS. The 50% off promo code just enticed me to give it a shot as the only curve offered in it happens to be the one on my Synergy. Hopefully all goes well.

Was suppose to get and test this stick out today. Harrow sent me a lax stick due for Illinois package.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego

Feels light. Feels fragile as well. Balance is nice. Going to test it out this weekend.

WeissFC

@WeissFC
Mar 11, 2010
www.futureconsiderations.ca
I need a new blade and I was wondering if anyone could compare it to the X:20 blade. They're the same price ($40), but don't know anything other than that. I've liked the X:20 blade, but I've gone through two of them because they keep cracking.

Also, is this considered a replacement blade or a blade that fits into an actual shaft?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
It's a tapered blade that would fit into a tapered shaft. Some one piece sticks can be cut and take a tapered blade.

The Harrow would be much better than the X:20 IMO, better feel and durability.

FWIW I got a #1 curve last week and the hosel is 1" longer than the #3 Drury, even though it's the same batch. So I guess it's a bit of a crapshoot.

Also, playing around with a "higher end" stick lately, the Harrow does seem to be heavier in comparison and has a higher kick point. A couple things to keep in mind. Your average rec player probably won't care, but if you want a very light or low kick stick, stick to the $200 retail ones.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
I broke both of these in practice this morning.

Shaft was brand new, but the blade was good for 10 times or so out on the ice. Both broke while shooting.

2010-10-07_17-13-20_107.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad