Confirmed with Link: Harrington re-signed to 3-year contract ($1.633M AAV)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
CBJ defensive organizational depth chart:

1. Jones
2. Werenski
3. Nutivaara
4. Savard
5. Murray
6. Gavrikov
7. Harrington
8. Kukan
9. Clendening
10. Carlsson
11. Peeke

A move definitely needs to be made.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
While I'm so-so on Harry, I think it's a fair deal. It does seem to set things up for a trade, but it's possibly Jarmo's reasonable plan to protect against: another Murray injury; Gavrikov not being signed after this year expires; and/or the loss of a DMan in the expansion draft.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
While I'm so-so on Harry, I think it's a fair deal. It does seem to set things up for a trade, but it's possibly Jarmo's reasonable plan to protect against: another Murray injury; Gavrikov not being signed after this year expires; and/or the loss of a DMan in the expansion draft.

The latter is actually probably another reason why it was three years. Seattle won’t pick Harrington, but we’ll need to make sure we have a certain number of players eligible.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
It's an overpay in term to an RFA and a guy who is, like, at best our 7th best defenseman. Don't love the cap hit either, but the three-year commitment is dumb, imo. Then again, in three years, Murray & Savard go UFA. Of the 7 D who played 25+ games last year, Harrington was the worst at 5v5 in terms of CF% and xGF%.

As of now, it sets up 9 Dmen, and only Gavrikov is waivers-exempt (though I doubt Clendening gets claimed). Certainly seems like Harrington will get paid quite a bit to spend a considerable amount of time in the press box, barring any trades.
Guys like Harrington are traded all the time. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Guys like Harrington are traded all the time. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill

Every deal for a "good trooper" is $500k to $1m more than it needs to be.

You pay talent, not depth. Jarmo has it backwards. In a vaccuum this isn’t crippling but we had this conversation about Dalton Prout, and he ended up getting scratched repeatedly for $1.575m AAV, eventually being dumped on NJ for Kyle Quincey (who was also terrible). The question remains: why?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I’m not gonna call anything under $2M “terrible” but does seem a bit steep. Think he’s closer to about $1M/ year. But still, $700k/year extra is not gonna make or break us. And he’s adequate as a 6D or 7D.

Interesting, though. Think this (especially at this price) makes it more likely someone on D is moved.

Fair - it just seems like an overpay for no reason. Look at the D depth chart for the organization (at least, 1 through 9 or 10 - not a lot of prospects after that). Are we going to sit 2 Dmen a night until Murray gets hurt? Start Gavrikov in Cleveland? In that sense, I agree - seems like a move of D for F is coming.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

You pay talent, not depth. Jarmo has it backwards. In a vaccuum this isn’t crippling but we had this conversation about Dalton Prout, and he ended up getting scratched repeatedly for $1.575m AAV, eventually being dumped on NJ for Kyle Quincey (who was also terrible). The question remains: why?
Prout was worth his keep based on this one beautiful moment.....and down goes Lucic.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio

I think Jarmo knows what he is doing. He was willing to pay for talent, see the contract offer for Panarin.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Fair - it just seems like an overpay for no reason. Look at the D depth chart for the organization (at least, 1 through 9 or 10 - not a lot of prospects after that). Are we going to sit 2 Dmen a night until Murray gets hurt? Start Gavrikov in Cleveland? In that sense, I agree - seems like a move of D for F is coming.

I still think we’re going to be moving a D out for another F.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
......Personally I don't understand the appeal of locking up a 3rd pairing dman (or 4th line forward) for multiple years.

I’m still not understanding why the third year was necessary, either, ........

Because he is cost contained for an extra year which would be attractive to a trading partner at the end of next season.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I think this signing shows that Jarmo has something cooking on a trade and I think its intriguing and creative to think that the third year might have something to do with the expansion draft.

If Harry stays, I agree he is just our #6/#7 d-man. But let's not forget, he was on our #1PK unit pretty much all season...and our PK kicked ass. So he is more than just a third pairing d-man, he was an integral part of a very important part of this team.

Reactions: CPTN71 and EspenK

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Harry played his heart out in playoffs so i dont know any reason why he wont be playing in 3rd pair? He eats the puck if team needs it, he likes to be in Columbus, i get vibrations of him that he doesnt mind being out of roster if it is best thing for the team, and still would give everything on ice when time comes. Good deal.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I think it’s a great deal. Sure he’s down on our depth chart but he IS a top 6 on 25+ teams in the league, and this is affordable deal that will never not be tradeable. And Harry has slowly but surely gotten better in the last 3 years. I have no doubt that he will continue to grow as he’s beginning to enter his prime. So many defensemen turn the corner when they hit 25-26.

As much as I like having a stacked top 6 group, I don’t see both Harrington and Kukan being penciled on the outside looking in all season. Even Clendening came up and made a strong showing in important games when injuries piled up. We haven’t heard very much from Jarmo on either Carlsson or Peeke, but if either of them are close to ready, then we have a glut of people that could be capable of playing 12 minutes a night and not hurting the team.

More than anything I can’t see Kukan being the #8. He has shown that he can play and can be a difference maker.

Jarmo just swings big on trades, and we have enough bodies that we’ll probably be able to put together a pretty convincing package.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Harry will draw into the lineup with injuries, which are a given, or if Gavrikov turns out to actually be less than his reputation. But for my own tastes, I prefer Kukan over Harrington as I find him more well rounded.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Is your concern the cash or the Cap hit? Reality is the Cap hit can be remedied by sending to the AHL to drop $1M. Still pay the cash but really very little impact if that were the case. Not to mention, if he's sent to the AHL I am fairly certain he would be claimed.

Another thing to consider... several of the other CBJ defensemen are only on two year deals. You would need to have someone available to leave unprotected for the draft, hence 3 years. While other moves can certainly be made, this makes him a very attractive addition for Seattle, potentially. This is a solid deal for a top 6 d-man. He plays for most teams in their top 6

Reactions: Jackets16

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
CBJ defensive organizational depth chart:

1. Jones
2. Werenski
3. Nutivaara
4. Savard
5. Murray
6. Gavrikov
7. Harrington
8. Kukan
9. Clendening
10. Carlsson
11. Peeke

A move definitely needs to be made.

I'm not here to quibble with your ranking or your conclusion about a move. The fact that Nutivaara was a 7th round pick and you have him Top 4 is just a glowing testament to our scouting staff. The way that guy has developed and played and performed just earns the CBJ scouting and FO staff multiple gold stars from me. I'll agree that for Jarmo's 7 years the first rounds have been largely unproductive. But later rounds, especially the late rounds ...... they have mined some gold.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad