Confirmed with Link: Harrington re-signed to 3-year contract ($1.633M AAV)

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
For those posters who say they don't like this contract (3rd year - whole deal), could you please explain? I thought Harrington was very productive this past year. I was very pleased with the progress he made. That guy has been scratched so many times, but all you ever heard was how he was a good teammate and practiced hard and stayed ready. Then he gets a chance and gave a very good accounting of himself.

I thought he and Kukan held their own in the playoffs. Would I have rather had McQuiad and Murray? Yea, sure. But they were hurt and couldn't go. The fact that he gave up a UFA year and signed for 3 years says that he wants to play here and contribute. There are a number of teams that have a worse performer and/or worse contract in their 5/6 defense pairing.

Yes, somebody is probably getting traded. That feels like a Capt'n Obvious statement. But we don't know what everybody's health will be come training camp. I'm very happy with this signing and this contract. I'm happy for Scott Harrington. He has sat and watched and bided his time. Good for him.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Wha...how?

It's an overpay in term to an RFA and a guy who is, like, at best our 7th best defenseman. Don't love the cap hit either, but the three-year commitment is dumb, imo. Then again, in three years, Murray & Savard go UFA. Of the 7 D who played 25+ games last year, Harrington was the worst at 5v5 in terms of CF% and xGF%.

As of now, it sets up 9 Dmen, and only Gavrikov is waivers-exempt (though I doubt Clendening gets claimed). Certainly seems like Harrington will get paid quite a bit to spend a considerable amount of time in the press box, barring any trades.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
8 guys signed to one way deals (Werenski not signed technically, but)

Highly surprised if we carry 8 D going into the season , especially with a lot of forwards like Hannikainen and Robinson also extras

Mar 1, 2002
GREAT contract.

And....I hope this is a domino that leads to a Marner offer sheet and a sign-and-trade involving Werenski, who I love. But get Marner!

Reactions: Toe Pick

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Perfectly fine contract for what he brings to a third pair. Congrats to Harrington as he’s been a low maintenance good soldier for us.

The real question is what’s next as I can’t see Jarmo moving the guys he just signed (Murray, Harrington). As much as I like them — gotta be Nuti or Savard. But maybe even Werenski for a big forward fish.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How much it matters is debatable but he’s part of a buddy group with Seth and Boone.

I’m generally ok with it. Does the third year have expansion ramifications?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
How much it matters is debatable but he’s part of a buddy group with Seth and Boone.

I’m generally ok with it. Does the third year have expansion ramifications?
You're late. Since he got a GF he's out of their bachelorette circle. :)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Perfectly fine contract for what he brings to a third pair. Congrats to Harrington as he’s been a low maintenance good soldier for us.

The real question is what’s next as I can’t see Jarmo moving the guys he just signed (Murray, Harrington). As much as I like them — gotta be Nuti or Savard. But maybe even Werenski for a big forward fish.

Savard makes the most sense to me. Just based on who we have to replace him. Our defensive prospects who are ready, or close to ready, seem to be more like Savard than Nutivaara or Werenski. Having said that, Nutivaara or Werenski probably have more trade value. I am guessing other teams would probably want them more.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
3rd year doesn't matter at all. There's no protection so he's not a concern for the expansion draft. He's not making over 1.5 million a year, which could end up being a steal if he continues to play well. Kukan was all the talk after his playoff performance, but Harrington broke out first during the regular season.

I was a fan of his last year. He grew a lot, especially when Murray went out of the lineup. He's not sexy, and you don't noticed him unless you really look, but that's perfectly fine with the type of player he is. Good deal for Harry, and I look forward to him playing on our third pairing next year.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Pretty classic CBJ signing. Overpay a bit for bottom pairing guys ($ and term).
Then try to win the negotiation with any good player. :)

Personally I don't understand the appeal of locking up a 3rd pairing dman (or 4th line forward) for multiple years.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Then try to win the negotiation with any good player. :)

Personally I don't understand the appeal of locking up a 3rd pairing dman (or 4th line forward) for multiple years.

I’m still not understanding why the third year was necessary, either, but Harrington had arbitration rights, so maybe Jarmo just wanted to avoid that headache. I think a two year deal would have been just fine.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Then try to win the negotiation with any good player
. :)

Josh Anderson has got to be a little bit riled about this deal. Jarmo (and presumably the broadcaster) fought tooth and nail to sign him at $1.85 million per for 3 years.

Brilliant strategists this CBJ FO on negotiating strategy:laugh:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

I really think its either going to be Nutivaara or Werenski.

Savard, as has been mentioned, while not only VERY important to the actual defense/quite a bit better DEFENSIVELY than both Z and Nut, is ingrained more than almost anybody as a "leadership" or "locker room" guy. I don't think Kukan or Gavrikov hold more value to other teams currently than they would just suiting up for the CBJ.

To add, is there any Ruskie's who can explain the Gusev-Gavvrikov connection? If there actually is ANY, it could have some impact involving either guy being traded a specific place, maybe.

I'm very "meh" on this contract. I'd like to see Clendening get some RS games against some weaker teams like EDM or FLA.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Savard makes the most sense to me. Just based on who we have to replace him. Our defensive prospects who are ready, or close to ready, seem to be more like Savard than Nutivaara or Werenski. Having said that, Nutivaara or Werenski probably have more trade value. I am guessing other teams would probably want them more.

Another reason Nutivaara and Werenski will have more value is there ages and contract status. I guess it DOES depend with Werenski but him and Nutivaara are both controlled for longer than Savard. While some teams might like that Savard only has 2 years left, this is ALSO reason (among many others) that the CBJ should not be worrying or thinking about prospects "ready" or "not ready" to replace what Savard brings to the team. He's a TOP defensive defenseman in the NHL, and he has a severely underrated offensive game.

The go to move is Werenski, even if some don't want to hear or acknowledge it.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
This is a terrible contract lmao

I’m not gonna call anything under $2M “terrible” but does seem a bit steep. Think he’s closer to about $1M/ year. But still, $700k/year extra is not gonna make or break us. And he’s adequate as a 6D or 7D.

Interesting, though. Think this (especially at this price) makes it more likely someone on D is moved.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I’m still not understanding why the third year was necessary, either, but Harrington had arbitration rights, so maybe Jarmo just wanted to avoid that headache. I think a two year deal would have been just fine.

Maybe just in case Savard and Murray both bail :)help:) after two years, we at least have Harrington on board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->