Harold Baines and Lee Smith elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I thought this was a joke when I first saw Harold Baines got elected, or that it was some dopey panel. I could at least see the argument for Lee Smith based on presence and being one of the first dominant short relievers.

Pinella's a bit overrated as a manager but I'd take him for total baseball contributions ten times out of ten over Baines.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
baines had a great career but HOF caliber? no way

you're really going to tell me that baines is a HOF'er and albert belle isn't? the crime dog too. no way baines deserves to be in over those two. and you can't have baines in the HOF without edgar

baines is a classic example of a stat compiler due to his longeveity

Reactions: Bob Richards

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
albert belle not being in the HOF is already a joke but the fact that guys like harold baines and jack morris have gotten in recently make it even more ridiculous

and if you're going to induct lee smith then wagner and k-rod should be on their way to cooperstown too

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
kind of sucks for Lee Smith that his nomination is going to be overshadowed by the furor over Baines. And Lou Whitaker continues to wait... .

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Baines get in is karma for the HOF refusing to induct Billy Pierce and the way they treated Nellie Fox and his family

Fox should have been 1st ballot HOF instead he died without honor of HOF and then HOF took 27 years to induct him (22 years after his death)

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Baines get in is karma for the HOF refusing to induct Billy Pierce and the way they treated Nellie Fox and his family

Fox should have been 1st ballot HOF instead he died without honor of HOF and then HOF took 27 years to induct him (22 years after his death)

this is the dumbest argument ever

so apparently the HOF has some sort of vendetta against the white sox? come on

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Harold Baines!? I thought I read that wrong until I saw it confirmed.

I can understand the argument for Lee Smith but Harold Baines!? If Baines can get in, I’ll wait for Fred McGriff and Edgar Martinez next..

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
baines had a great career but HOF caliber? no way

you're really going to tell me that baines is a HOF'er and albert belle isn't? the crime dog too. no way baines deserves to be in over those two. and you can't have baines in the HOF without edgar

baines is a classic example of a stat compiler due to his longeveity

Only reason Albert Belle is not in the hall of fame is because he was hated by the baseball writers and media.

Same can be said about Barry Bonds too but Bonds has the stats/hardware/records to boost his HOF creditentals..

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i could fill out a handful of ballots and still not think of including baines

HOF caliber is not something i ever thought of when i heard his name. this is almost as bad as jack morris getting in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad