Harding vs. Backstrom?

tomthestone*

Out of curiosity how many games do some of you think a starter should get in a season?

I'm of the opinion that it should be around 60 games give or take. On that note I don't see one goalie being a true backup at this point, more like 1A and 1B. So I'm not sure if the mix should be closer to 50/50 or maybe give Harding only 50 games.

IMO I don't see Yeo riding Harding, at least not yet. He's doing well right now, so I say play him.

Established, durable No.1's in the NHL live between 60-70 starts per regular season. Neither Wild goalie should start that many games, but Harding is on pace to reach that level this year. I agree with those who say Harding needs to get more rest as the season gets older, but I also feel like Backstrom is extremely hard to trust on a nightly basis. The deflating, momentum shifting goals Backstrom coughs up are killers.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Established, durable No.1's in the NHL live between 60-70 starts per regular season. Neither Wild goalie should start that many games, but Harding is on pace to reach that level this year. I agree with those who say Harding needs to get more rest as the season gets older, but I also feel like Backstrom is extremely hard to trust on a nightly basis. The deflating, momentum shifting goals Backstrom coughs up are killers.

I think this sums up my feeling on Backstrom more succinctly than I've ever been able to.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

That's why part of me is really hoping that long discussion he had with whoever today leads to him getting traded out of town and us bringing in a reliable backup for Harding who can take over as a stop-gap starter for a year or three until Kuemper or Gustaffson is read for the big time.

But you know, wish in one hand...

tomthestone*

That's why part of me is really hoping that long discussion he had with whoever today leads to him getting traded out of town and us bringing in a reliable backup for Harding who can take over as a stop-gap starter for a year or three until Kuemper or Gustaffson is read for the big time.

But you know, wish in one hand...

That's the thing. It can't be a secret around the league that Backstrom is sketchy back there. He has a partial NTC, and a contact that counts against the cap until the end of 2016 no matter what. Have to think Backs is flat-out untradable at this point, even if he signed off on packing his bags for a different retirement stop.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
That's the thing. It can't be a secret around the league that Backstrom is sketchy back there. He has a partial NTC, and a contact that counts against the cap until the end of 2016 no matter what. Have to think Backs is flat-out untradable at this point, even if he signed off on packing his bags for a different retirement stop.

Eyup.

Depressing.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Looking at it now I'm depressed that we re-signed Backs last offseason for three years but I look at it this way: We are paying around 5 million dollars a year for two goalies just as long one of them is playing like a 5 million dollar goalie, I'm happy.

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota
When Harding comes back, is it time to shut down Backstrom somehow? Last nights loss is not pinned on him in any way, but he's looked bad in his few starts this year. I just don't have any confidence in him anymore. Putting him in net greatly increases the likelihood of a loss. What can be done? Can you just be blunt and ask him to retire? Can we just use a regular buyout on his final year after this season? What are the consequences of that?

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
For being old and not any good.

Unfortunately, that doesn't preclude him from being on an NHL roster...

Unless he's yet again fighting injuries, I don't see how we can get rid of him without just taking it on the chin with a buyout or waiting it out.

Harding's MS situation aside, I think Backstrom's contract is the biggest mistake Fletcher has made. We're essentially stuck with a very subpar goalie, who no one in the league realistically wants as a backup, who's drastically overpaid for multiple years.

It sucks, because I appreciate that Backstrom was a decent goalie in the past (I've still never been a fan), but now we're the ones stuck paying for that past success.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
When Harding comes back, is it time to shut down Backstrom somehow? Last nights loss is not pinned on him in any way, but he's looked bad in his few starts this year. I just don't have any confidence in him anymore. Putting him in net greatly increases the likelihood of a loss. What can be done? Can you just be blunt and ask him to retire? Can we just use a regular buyout on his final year after this season? What are the consequences of that?

I would be in favor of shutting him down right now and bringing Bryz back on.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I'm a fan of Backs but his time has come. I remember when there was a positionally sound and mentally strong goalie equipped with great rebound control. A goalie who was quick enough to make those few crucial saves per game when needed. If he had a bad game you could be sure that he rebouned in the next being nothing short of amazing.

Unfortunately that Backs has gone. I still respect him as a character, but he's not the same anymore.

Wild33

Mar 27, 2009
This isn't fantasy hockey, you just can't shut a guy down. He's on the roster for the rest of the year like it or not. Hopefully it leads to a buyout which will still be on our cap next year and we find a capable 1B or backup next year.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
what is the status on Harding guys.

is he almost back? if he is, what happens with Kuemper, Backstrom...

rooting for the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad