3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's the third game in a row we've been really good.

Sure the Habs and Wings aren't good 5v5 teams, but like, yeah, we f***ing should and we did. That's a good thing.

And the Devils actually are a decent 5v5 team and we shit on their heads too, so I'm pretty happy with our recent performances.

The only recent game I hated was Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh is between 51 and 52% at goal differential (5v5), shot differential, and xG differential. It's a stone cold fluke that they're not higher in the standings. That's why I don't want anything to do with them.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So I’m standing on the local uptown platform at Penn and who do I see leaning against the wall but one Mr Joe Michelleti.

Shook his hand and walked away to give him his personal space. Then he engaged me in a chat.

I won’t divulge some of the juicy bits but let’s just say he’s a really nice guy.

(no selfie to prove it as he understandably didn’t seem to be in the mood.)
At some point during the isles game Joe will say something like ‘I spoke the other day with @WhereO Is Kakko. He’s doing well, getting ready for the playoffs. Work has been busier than usual but as he said, better to be busy than not. Also, Sam, he was sporting a really nice new Uniqlo windbreaker. You would love it. Spring is in the air’.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I’m thinking this list is 5v5 only and requires those 3 forwards to be on ice when the goal is scored. So goals scored in between line changes wouldn’t count for the trio.
It still seems low. Some stats I looked at have Panarin at 36 goals that aren't PP goals, Laf with 25, and Trocheck with 14. That's 75. I know a few are empty netters and such but 51 still seems low.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Sure the Habs and Wings aren't good 5v5 teams, but like, yeah, we f***ing should and we did. That's a good thing.

And the Devils actually are a decent 5v5 team and we shit on their heads too, so I'm pretty happy with our recent performances.

The only recent game I hated was Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh is between 51 and 52% at goal differential (5v5), shot differential, and xG differential. It's a stone cold fluke that they're not higher in the standings. That's why I don't want anything to do with them.
That's why It's so important to keep playing well and winning. Beating the Piles twice would help Pitt take the 3rd spot in the Metro so Carolina can deal with them. We can then play Detroit or Washington. Sound like a plan?

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
IMG_20191127_225602.jpg

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

That game wasn’t bad either.

Trouba’s greatest hits and there were 2 goal reviews which both went Pittsburgh’s way (shocker right?)

I don’t fear them the way that you do but who ever plays them is going to have to fight through them and the league.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX

uh-oh-worried-vince-mcmahon-mo0qir950ktl316d.webp

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Anyone who is a huge nerd like me may want to see the French-language highlight pack of our game last night to hear Pierre Houde call the game for RDS, one of the great PBP guys in this league who gets zero attention because he's not speaking English.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Islanders are coming around a couple of times and will be really desperate.

At the same time, they're also not really good at anything.

It feels like the balance of playoff teams who are really good 5v5 is heavily in the West this year. That's a good thing.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The Islanders are coming around a couple of times and will be really desperate.

At the same time, they're also not really good at anything.

It feels like the balance of playoff teams who are really good 5v5 is heavily in the West this year. That's a good thing.

The only thing about the Islanders that worries me is the embarrassment Id face among my extended family. On paper, and by any metric , a series with them should be over quickly in our favor. They arent the Trotz Islanders, Sorokin has had a dreadful year and they are really a one line time. Panarin and the boys will feast on that Barzal line. Much rather them than Pittsburgh. As a fan I really want to see Pittsburgh/Carolina.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The Pens always tend to underperform their xG at this point…‘ugh be a personnel and finishing problem rather than just luck. Their goaltending is always inconsistent. It’s not wildly absurd that they’ve been struggling for most of the year

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The only thing about the Islanders that worries me is the embarrassment Id face among my extended family. On paper, and by any metric , a series with them should be over quickly in our favor. They arent the Trotz Islanders, Sorokin has had a dreadful year and they are really a one line time. Panarin and the boys will feast on that Barzal line. Much rather them than Pittsburgh. As a fan I really want to see Pittsburgh/Carolina.
Yeah, it would be a good series. And like, if Pittsburgh moved on, I'd feel more comfortable seeing them in the second round. I don't wanna see hot ass house money Pittsburgh coming off 6,000 wins in a row to get in. Let them have a tough series first.

As far as the Islanders go, they kind of always had bad analytics, but there is nuance, and after awhile, you are what the wins say you are, especially if those wins are the spring. Trotz's Cup team in Washington had bad analytics. There's something there where his teams still manage to prevent goals. That element is gone now, and it's just the mid ass Islanders who don't particularly do anything well.

BleedBlueNYR

Jan 25, 2019
New York
We absolutely are way better than them and if it was any other team I’d feel like we would crush them. Unfortunately it would probably be a tough grind and losing to them would be devastating. A few of my friends wouldn’t let me hear the end of it. If we won of course it would probably be as satisfying as it gets to win a first round series.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Yeah I'm pulling for Detroit to get that last spot.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
The magic number for the President's Trophy is six I think. It's four for the division.

always a chance sorokin gets hot but honestly IMO a hot goaltender can't always make up for a mid team over a 7 game series.
A team with a -25 goal differential does not belong in the playoffs. It's just the principle of it.

Reactions: Cmox
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad