Post-Game Talk: Hard to win when you start like that, out shot 75 to 20 lol

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I'm back......

Geez, I haven't been on HFBoards since the end of the playoffs last year.

So far, I've seen both games and like what I see so far. But we have to get more shots off. It was easy for us to win against Toronto and the Canes because let's face it, they blow.

But when it comes to teams like Montreal, Tampa, etc, we cannot win only getting 20 shots on net. Goaltending has been good, but they can't be relied on to stop everything.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Have Richards done anything good in these 2 games?

I believe there is some qualification as to why he hasn't done great so far needed. In the preseason he was lined up with for lack of a better term a "Babcock line". Ie big net front player, skilled player, and him as the puck possesser (spelling whatever). Where the past two reg season games he has had a shift in linemates too just him + 2 skilled guys.

Where this effects the line is that when Tats and Nyquist are together on a line you can shadow man on man coverage of Tats with a oppositions best 2 way player and then you have for the most part 2 other forwards who are perimeter players (Richards and Nyquist). There isn't a cataylist type guy on the line that creates room for both of the perimeter players to cycle with. And without a player that can win battle situations once the cycle can be stopped by pinning whoever has the puck on the wall the line stops any effectiveness.

Where he was doing great in the preseason he had Tats and Jurco as his linemates. Why this was important quality of opposition aside is that with Jurco being a net front player and puck battler it didn't crowd the perimeter and left space for Tats and Richards to play with. Right know I have the feeling that given the line composition there isn't room up in the high slot + perimeter to play with because no one is down low causing the room for the line to open up in a offensive setting. Also while Jurco hasn't been a great offensive player since his first year he is someone that defences have to respect down low so they cannot just leave him alone and focus on the other two forwards in assignments.

Also since Nyquist and Tats didn't play a ton together this year there is a chemistry issue so far as well. However this specific line I believe is a placeholder line until Dats gets back in the mix.

A forward lineup I wish to see is when dats gets back is:

Larkin-Z-Franzen
Abby-Dats-Tats
Sheahan-Richards-Pulks
Miller-Glendy-Jurco

Though that assumes that Jurco can handle some pk shifts which at present is unknown I assume. Also Jurco then can play up or down the lineup as needed given. And **** me we have to many forwards cause I just saw I left Nyquist out. I gotta think someone is getting dealt around Thanksgiving unless Kenny is just thinking someone from the top 9 is gonna be hurt all year.

I wonder if Sheahan (however it is spelled lol) is potentially trade bait or they want him as a 3rd net front option. But Sheahan and one of Pulks, Nyquist, or Tatar could potentially be nice trade bait for a defensive upgrade potentially.

Actual Thought*

I believe there is some qualification as to why he hasn't done great so far needed. In the preseason he was lined up with for lack of a better term a "Babcock line". Ie big net front player, skilled player, and him as the puck possesser (spelling whatever). Where the past two reg season games he has had a shift in linemates too just him + 2 skilled guys.

Where this effects the line is that when Tats and Nyquist are together on a line you can shadow man on man coverage of Tats with a oppositions best 2 way player and then you have for the most part 2 other forwards who are perimeter players (Richards and Nyquist). There isn't a cataylist type guy on the line that creates room for both of the perimeter players to cycle with. And without a player that can win battle situations once the cycle can be stopped by pinning whoever has the puck on the wall the line stops any effectiveness.

Where he was doing great in the preseason he had Tats and Jurco as his linemates. Why this was important quality of opposition aside is that with Jurco being a net front player and puck battler it didn't crowd the perimeter and left space for Tats and Richards to play with. Right know I have the feeling that given the line composition there isn't room up in the high slot + perimeter to play with because no one is down low causing the room for the line to open up in a offensive setting. Also while Jurco hasn't been a great offensive player since his first year he is someone that defences have to respect down low so they cannot just leave him alone and focus on the other two forwards in assignments.

Also since Nyquist and Tats didn't play a ton together this year there is a chemistry issue so far as well. However this specific line I believe is a placeholder line until Dats gets back in the mix.

A forward lineup I wish to see is when dats gets back is:

Larkin-Z-Franzen
Abby-Dats-Tats
Sheahan-Richards-Pulks
Miller-Glendy-Jurco

Though that assumes that Jurco can handle some pk shifts which at present is unknown I assume. Also Jurco then can play up or down the lineup as needed given. And **** me we have to many forwards cause I just saw I left Nyquist out. I gotta think someone is getting dealt around Thanksgiving unless Kenny is just thinking someone from the top 9 is gonna be hurt all year.

I wonder if Sheahan (however it is spelled lol) is potentially trade bait or they want him as a 3rd net front option. But Sheahan and one of Pulks, Nyquist, or Tatar could potentially be nice trade bait for a defensive upgrade potentially.

You forgot Helm too.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Might be a lot to record, but you could try measuring them by which zone the puck enters from the neutral zone.

So if the puck goes from the neutral zone to the defensive zone, that's a minus for the line (assuming they didn't deliberately send it back into their own zone to buy space). If they carry it into the offensive zone, that's a plus.

No idea how you'd tailor that for individual players though.

I'm more interested creating this stat model for individuals. Who did carry the puck over the neutral zone or did the 1st pass.

Kind of, a stat which would separate especially puck-moving defencemen.

Also, it would show who are important forwards on this area.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Wow that game. Glad to have had Sunday off to recover from the ****-fest in Raleigh.
Not even going to bother with three stars, may as well give all three to Mrazek, he stole the 2 points.

Wasn't expecting to feel stress or pressure this season until the Tampa game. I hope Saturday night was an anomaly and not a sign of things to come.

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
This was a really weird game to be at. It was amazing how it seems that it was 40/60 Wings to Hurricanes fans especially being the home opener.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
On the other hand there is always someone that's hurt...

Even with 2 full timers hurt right now we barely have room and we still have guys who could probably fill in when called up like Mantha, AA, Bertuzzi, Callahan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad