OT - NO POLITICS Hard to believe it has been 20 years....

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
The college class of 2005 was dubbed “the class of 9/11” in the media. I had been at school for 2 weeks when 9/11 happened. That was literally the bridge between adolescence and adulthood for my peers and I.

Just took a walk to get coffee - the weather is eerily similar to 20 years ago. Saw this on my walk - hard to tell with the glare but it’s a framed painted print of the 3 firefighters raising the American flag in the rubble with the towers on fire behind it.

The local fire horns went off at 8:46, when the first plane hit. I shut off the audiobook I was listening to and paused. I was unexpectedly overcome with emotion.

I miss those days of unity. It feels like today people are looking for excuses to argue with each other whereas in those days people were looking for excuses to come together.

B324F7DA-7228-4D21-9C09-64D9D0DB2150.jpeg

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Being in Western Canada, things were a little different for me.

We had our 6 month old daughter at the time who didn't always get up when we planned. I worked nights and we wanted her to sleep in.

We were awoken by my mother in law at 730am or so. "The US is under attack." My wife replied "Next time you call at 730am, YOU better be under attack." We chuckled a little and then turned on the TV. We didn't laugh any longer.
I remember when the 2nd tower fell thinking, "Well, they got everyone out."

I went to work at 230pm and we didn't have a newscast that day as we were on the Global National feed. Kevin Newman had JUST started as the anchor and I think he was on the air for 10 hours.

It was an awful event but it did bring people together. I hope today is reminder that we can maybe put of differences aside and look out for one another.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
20 years later and the same emotion comes to the surface every year - rage.

Rage at the unforgivably lax security at our airports, and that no one ever went to prison for their criminal negligence.

Rage at the people who could have killed Bin Ladin on NINE separate occasions prior to the September 11 attacks - but didn’t.

(A great Washington Post article is out there about this, but I won’t post it here because it’s too political)

Rage at the civilians who continue to handcuff our military with absurd Rules of Engagement.

And rage at an American public that has mostly forgotten what happened that day and forgotten who did this to us.

Never Forget. NEVER AGAIN.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Todd: Hello… Operator…listen to me…I can’t speak very loud. – This is an emergency. I’m a passenger on a United flight to San Francisco.. We have a situation here….Our plane has been hijacked…..can you understand me?
Lisa: (exhaling a deep breath to herself) I understand… Can the hijackers see you talking on the phone?
Todd: No
Lisa: Can you tell me how many hijackers are on the plane?
Todd: There are three that we know of.
Lisa: Can you see any weapons? What kind of weapons do they have?
Todd: Yes…. they don’t have guns….they have knives – they took over the plane with knives.
Lisa: Do you mean…like steak knives?
Todd: No, these are razor knives…like box cutters.
Lisa: Can you tell what country these people are from?
Todd: No…..I don’t know. They sound like they’re from the mid-east.
Lisa: Have they said what they want?
Todd: Someone announced from the cockpit that there was a bomb on board. He said he was the captain and to stay in our seats and stay quiet.
He said that they were meeting these men’s demands and returning to the airport… It was very broken English, and… I’m telling you…it sounded fake!
Lisa: Ok sir, please give me your name.
Todd: My name is Todd Beamer.
Lisa: Ok Todd….my name is Lisa…Do you know your flight number? If you can’t remember, it’s on your ticket.
Todd: It’s United Flight 93.
Lisa: Now Todd, can you try to tell me exactly what happened?
Todd: Two of the hijackers were sitting in first class near the cockpit. A third one was sitting near the back of the coach section. The two up. front got into the cockpit somehow; there was shouting. The third hijacker said he had a bomb. It looks like a bomb. He’s got it tied to his waist with a red belt of some kind.
Lisa: So is the door to the cockpit open?
Todd: No, the hijackers shut it behind them.
Lisa: Has anyone been injured?
Todd: Yes, ..they…they killed one passenger sitting in first class. There’s been lots of shouting. We don’t know if the pilots are dead or alive. A flight attendant told me that the pilot and copilot had been forced from the cockpit and may have been wounded.
Lisa: Where is the 3rd hijacker now Todd?
Todd: He’s near the back of the plane. They forced most of the passengers into first class. There are fourteen of us here in the back. Five are flight attendants. He hasn’t noticed that I slipped into this pantry to get the phone. The guy with the bomb ordered us to sit on the floor in the rear of the plane……….oh Jesus.. Help!
Lisa: Todd….are you ok? Tell me what’s happening!
Todd: Hello…..We’re going down….I think we’re going to crash……Wait – wait a minute. No, we’re leveling off….we’re ok. I think we may be turning around…..That’s it – we changed directions. Do you hear me….we’re flying east again.
Lisa: Ok Todd…. What’s going on with the other passengers?
Todd: Everyone is… really scared. A few passengers with cell phones have made calls to relatives. A guy, Jeremy, was talking to his wife just before the hijacking started. She told him that hijackers had crashed two planes into the World Trade Center……Lisa is that true??
Lisa: Todd…..I have to tell you the truth…..it’s very bad. The World Trade Center is gone. Both of the towers have been destroyed.
Todd: Oh God —help us!
Lisa: A third plane was taken over by terrorists. It crashed into the Pentagon in Washington DC. Our country is under attack….and I’m afraid that your plane may be part of their plan.
Todd: Oh dear God. Dear God…….Lisa, will you do something for me?
Lisa: I’ll try….if I can….Yes.
Todd: I want you to call my wife and my kids for me and tell them what’s happened. Promise me you’ll call..
Lisa: I promise – I’ll call.
Todd: Our home number is 201 353-1073…….You have the same name as my wife…Lisa….We’ve been married for 10 years. She’s pregnant with our 3rd child. Tell her that I love her…….(choking up)..I’ll always love her..(clearing throat) We have two boys.. David, he’s 3 and Andrew, he’s 1…..Tell them……(choking) tell them that their daddy loves them and that he is so proud of them. (clearing throat again) Our baby is due January 12th…..I saw an ultra sound…..it was great….we still don’t know if it’s a girl or a boy………Lisa?
Lisa: (barely able to speak) I’ll tell them, I promise Todd.
Todd: I’m going back to the group—if I can get back I will…
Lisa: Todd, leave this line open…are you still there?……
Lisa: (dials the phone..) Hello, FBI, my name is Lisa Jefferson, I’m a telephone supervisor for GTE. I need to report a terrorist hijacking of a United Airlines Flight 93….Yes I’ll hold.
Goodwin: Hello, this is Agent Goodwin.. I understand you have a hijacking situation?
Lisa: Yes sir, I’ve been talking with a passenger, a Todd Beamer, on Flight 93 who managed to get to an air phone unnoticed.
Goodwin: Where did this flight originate, and what was its destination?
Lisa: The flight left Newark New Jersey at 8 A.M. departing for San Francisco. The hijackers took over the plane shortly after takeoff, and several minutes later the plane changed course – it is now flying east.
Goodwin: Ms. Jefferson…I need to talk to someone aboard that plane. Can you get me thru to the planes phone?
Lisa: I still have that line open sir, I can patch you through on a conference call…hold a mo…..
Todd: Hello Lisa, Lisa are you there?
Lisa: Yes, I’m here. Todd, I made a call to the FBI, Agent Goodwin is on the line and will be talking to you as well.
Todd: The others all know that this isn’t your normal hijacking. Jeremy called his wife again on his cell phone. She told him more about the World Trade Center and all.
Goodwin: Hello Todd. This is Agent Goodwin with the FBI. We have been monitoring your flight. Your plane is on a course for Washington, DC. These terrorists sent two planes into the World Trade Center and one plane into the Pentagon. Our best guess is that they plan to fly your plane into either the White House or the United States Capital Building.
Todd: I understand…hold on……I’ll…….I’ll be back..
Lisa: Mr. Goodwin, how much time do they have before they get to Washington?
Goodwin: Not long ma’am. They changed course over Cleveland; they’re approaching Pittsburgh now. Washington may be twenty minutes away.
Todd: (breathing a little heavier) The plane seems to be changing directions just a little. It’s getting pretty rough up here. The plane is flying real erratic….We’re not going to make it out of here. Listen to me….I want you to hear this….I have talked with the others….we have decided we would not be pawns in these hijackers suicidal plot.
Lisa: Todd, what are you going to do?
Todd: We’ve hatched a plan. Four of us are going to rush the hijacker with the bomb. After we take him out, we’ll break into the cockpit. A stewardess is getting some boiling water to throw on the hijackers at the controls. We’ll get them….and we’ll take them out. Lisa, …..will you do one last thing for me?
Lisa: Yes…What is it?
Todd: Would you pray with me?
They pray: Our father which art in Heaven
Hallowed be thy name,
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive our trespassers,
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory
Forever…..Amen
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want…
He makes me to lie down in green pastures
He leads me beside the still waters
He restores my soul
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for His name’s sake
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I will fear no evil, for thou art with me…..
Todd: (softer) God help me…Jesus help me….(clears throat and louder)
Are you guys ready?……..
Let’s Roll……………………

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The one thing that has always stuck with me was the incredible guilt and sadness I felt when I found out 2 of the planes were from Boston.

I felt like everyone was going to hate my hometown and want to seek revenge. I would apologize whenever I had a conversation with someone from New York and they'd tell me not to be ridiculous and that they weren't angry at the city. Took some serious counseling to get over those feelings.

I always said after 9/11 that I'd be out of the building so fast if something like that ever happened where I worked. Who knew 11 1/2 years later that I'd be less than 2 blocks from a terrorist attack while at work. That day I didn't immediately run like I always said. I ended up being one of the last ones out of the building for my company after we confirmed no one was left on our floors.

The lessons we learned that day when it comes to office safety will forever stick with me. If someone gets upset about a fire drill or safety measures all you have to do is say do you remember what happened on 9/11 and they immediately stop and never act that way again.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
20 years later and the same emotion comes to the surface every year - rage.

Rage at the unforgivably lax security at our airports, and that no one ever went to prison for their criminal negligence.

Rage at the people who could have killed Bin Ladin on NINE separate occasions prior to the September 11 attacks - but didn’t.

(A great Washington Post article is out there about this, but I won’t post it here because it’s too political)

Rage at the civilians who continue to handcuff our military with absurd Rules of Engagement.

And rage at an American public that has mostly forgotten what happened that day and forgotten who did this to us.

Never Forget. NEVER AGAIN.
I could never understand why the cockpit doors weren’t locked ,and recall many times that doors were wide open ,they used to actually let kids in to look around,I always thought this was crazy .Was always worried some nut job could walk in and over power the Captain and crash the plane ,or a kid would push some buttons.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
September 11 attacks: Honoring NYPD Officer Moira Smith 20 years after 9/11 | PIX11

Smith’s husband, Jim, a fellow police officer, would go on to raise their 2-year-old daughter Patricia without her.

“To see the person she has become, it’s just, like, the greatest joy in my life,” Jim Smith said in the shadow of the playground named after his wife.

The playground in Madison Square Park was dedicated to Moira Smith in 2012. It’s part of the 13th Precinct, where she used patrol. Smith said it’s the perfect tribute.

extralarge.jpg

“I enjoy coming here and seeing the kids play. It’s an oasis in the city,” he said.

When Jim Smith looks at the last picture ever taken of his wife, “I see the courage in her face, the empathy for the injured man.”

Jim Smith said his late wife lives on in their daughter. She is kind, intelligent and strong, just like her mom.

46176398331_fcdc6f87e7_b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat and BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I could never understand why the cockpit doors weren’t locked ,and recall many times that doors were wide open ,they used to actually let kids in to look around,I always thought this was crazy .Was always worried some nut job could walk in and over power the Captain and crash the plane ,or a kid would push some buttons.
I could never understand why guys who were on the "watch list" were taking jet lessons in Florida.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I made the mistake of watching the reading of the names ceremony in NYC earlier this morning. One woman was reading out the names just fine when she came to the name of her first cousin, a battalion chief with FDNY. She lost it and then I lost it.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
An article on what it took to restore television service in New York after 9/11

20 Years Broadcasters Will Never Forget

Restoring Over-the-Air TV in New York City After 9/11

When the massive antenna mast atop the north tower of the trade center crumbled into rubble on Sept. 11, 2001—20 years ago—the on-air signals of most major New York City broadcasters went with it. The disaster was pure chaos, and six broadcast engineers lost their lives that historic day.

Don DiFranco, WABC-TV
Rod Coppola, WNET-TV
Steve Jacobson, WPIX
Bob Pattison, WCBS-TV
Isaias Riverea, WCBS-TV
William Steckman, WNBC

It has taken most of the past 20 years since to get signals back on the air from the World Trade Center site.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I'm glad the ticket agent was able to move on. I've seen him on a few specials and he always seemed like he had a lot of guilt allowing them to pass through.

The Maine connection will never make sense to me

I started working at the Jetport in 2008, and met him once. Really nice man.

I was a freshman in high school on 9/11, and found out at the end of second period, as the second tower collapsed. Walking to homeroom, the hallways were abuzz and I just remember the confusion, with fear creeping in. Our homeroom had no television, so we listened on the radio.

I remember sprinting home from school, wanting to be with my family...we watched for days.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I could never understand why guys who were on the "watch list" were taking jet lessons in Florida.
Yeah that’s another big issue,always amazed when people who commit these crimes ,and others mass shootings ,Boston bombers,the FBI had warnings about them ,and many others ,yet they just seemed to ignore them.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Look folks - Just because of a few jerks in Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and other parts of Canada please realize the vast majority of Canadians are wonderful people.

In 2004 the fans of Boston reacted to those jerks the best way possible.

I must remind you on how Flyers fans responded to our tragedy in Boston

The Flyers 50/50 went to the One Fund Boston charity and it was the largest jackpot they have ever had.

Now let's get back on topic.

100%

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
I was 15. It was the afternoon Irish time when the attacks happened and I remember my mam collecting me from school and saying something awful was happening in America.
I was glued to the news for days. It completely changed my outlook on the world.

My wife and I got married in NYC in 2015. We made sure to pay our respects.

IMAG0617.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad