OT - NO POLITICS Hard to believe it has been 20 years....

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
7fc0d26d135d7dbab7d8052d013eeef6

A storm rolls over New York City on the evening of September 10, 2001.

I was in New York 20 years ago for Red Sox/Yankees.

I spent the morning of the 10th looking for a new book and found it at Borders in the World Trade Center mall.

ddf281bbb1fc009549b8f016bf6d6061.jpg

s-l300.jpg

I went as a fan to the game on 9/10 with a couple from NY who I had met a year earlier when a bartender at long-gone Hickey's on 33rd St gave me her ticket for a Bruins game and she was not pleased that Seamus the bartender made sure a Bruins fans got it.

348s.jpg

But the Rangers blew out the Bruins and she enjoyed taunting new coach Mike Keenan.

Boston Bruins at New York Rangers Box Score — October 29, 2000 | Hockey-Reference.com

We exchanged numbers and emails and I got tickets for her in Boston to see NYR and I met her husband and also got them tickets for a Yankees game at Fenway.

The game on the 10th was rained out and we wound up back at Hickey's. Around 11 they had to leave because she was working the next day.

Both she and her husband were officers of the NYPD.

My friend Roy and I stayed at Hickey's for a bit and went then back to Queens and I was going to drive back in the morning.

The next morning we were having coffee and had WCBS Newsradio on when all hell broke loose.

My friend didn't have cable and his TV was useless as all the NYC stations were knocked off the air because their transmitters were on the north tower.

I was unable to get out of NYC until Tuesday.

I sent my friend an email but never heard back but thought nothing of it as I assumed she was very busy.

3 days later I was in Harvard Sq and saw this picture on the front page of the Daily News.

STAYIGWSWXCRLS2QGQ4IFEVQGM.jpg

Moments after this picture was taken she went back into the lobby...................... :cry:

upload_2021-9-10_13-57-18.jpeg

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
still so devastating to watch, see, remember

Back then, it was a rare day that I was up before the crack of noon unless I was working a day shift which I rarely did then. As per usual at that time, I had a night of debauchery the evening before but got up early, no idea why, turned on the news. It was one of the morning broadcasts and I thought they were showing a scene from some new action flick, quickly realized I couldn`t have been more wrong

Been watching Spike Lee`s great series NYC Epicenters 9/11 to 2021 1/2, latest episode really emotional

There`s a terrific movie/doc called You Are Here, A Come From Away Story about flights that were diverted to Gander Nfld, the story touched a few theatre producers from Toronto to put together what they thought would be a simple show which wound up being a massive hit Come From Away I think it was called. Beautiful doc. I wasn`t living in Nfld at that time but I can attest, not a place on that island that those poor people who were diverted to that wouldn`t have received the same treatment, no people better than those Newfoundlanders IMO

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
I'm sorry for your loss. The stories of loss, as well as those that are heroic still leave me speechless and heartbroken. It astounds me that more people have died from the effects of the dust and other related health issues than those who were in the buildings.

Reactions: LSCII

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
still so devastating to watch, see, remember

Back then, it was a rare day that I was up before the crack of noon unless I was working a day shift which I rarely did then. As per usual at that time, I had a night of debauchery the evening before but got up early, no idea why, turned on the news. It was one of the morning broadcasts and I thought they were showing a scene from some new action flick, quickly realized I couldn`t have been more wrong

Been watching Spike Lee`s great series NYC Epicenters 9/11 to 2021 1/2, latest episode really emotional

There`s a terrific movie/doc called You Are Here, A Come From Away Story about flights that were diverted to Gander Nfld, the story touched a few theatre producers from Toronto to put together what they thought would be a simple show which wound up being a massive hit Come From Away I think it was called. Beautiful doc. I wasn`t living in Nfld at that time but I can attest, not a place on that island that those poor people who were diverted to that wouldn`t have received the same treatment, no people better than those Newfoundlanders IMO

The book "The Day The World Came To Town" is about the events that took place. It is incredible and I highly recommend the Audible version of it. What they did for the passengers was nothing short of amazing. I am hoping to see the musical when it comes to Boston.

If you have Apple+ the movie version is now streaming.

Canada standing by us in our darkest hour is just one of the many things I will never forget about that day and those that followed.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The book "The Day The World Came To Town" is about the events that took place. It is incredible and I highly recommend the Audible version of it. What they did for the passengers was nothing short of amazing. I am hoping to see the musical when it comes to Boston.

Canada standing by us in our darkest hour is just one of the many things I will never forget about that day and those that followed.

Reactions: Alicat

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I was in one of my "sahm" stages with my youngest who was 3 years old and napping when it happened. My step father worked on the 104th floor. My brother and his then gf had 2 condos, one across from Central Park West and one next door to the Towers. I spent hours in my back yard on my knees crying, screaming, dialing like a madwoman trying to reach my mother, my step father, my brother, my sister, anyone that was in NYC that could tell me where they were. Phone lines were down. Couldn't get through. Called the kids school, asked them, no, begged them, to not turn the tv's on in my kids classrooms. People were already jumping out the windows. I had no idea if one of those people was my step father or not. It took 4 days to get through to anyone and find out that my step father had made it home, just the day before. Even my mother, brother and sister had no idea if he was alive or not until that moment when he walked in the door. Covered in stuff, ash, biohazard, name it, it was all over his clothes, hair, body. He had a breakfast meeting that day you see. He walked into the lobby as the first plane hit. He and the others then at the time not knowing what happened were still in the lobby pressing the elevator button when the fumes and stuff started coming through. They walked out. Under the awnings. Under the sounds of bodies landing on the awning. People they likely knew or passed in the hallways or elevators. Then they stood outside, not realizing the building was going to come down. Then ran, but not fast enough to avoid all the stuff in the air that it caused. And walked and walked and walked. All the way home to North Flushing. Since then, he's had half his jaw bone replaced with bone from his leg, gotten a brain infection from the various chemicals and biohazards he breathed in that day and has for all intents and purposes had to relearn how to do everything. He's just re-learning how to drive now and doesn't even leave the neighborhood yet. He still breaks down when he sees the wives or children of his former coworkers. He's one of 8 from his company who lived through that day. All because of a breakfast meeting that went late because he overslept for the first time in his working life.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I was at work and the woman who works next to me had a call from her mother telling her there was an accident where a plane hit one of the towers in NY. I logged onto CNN just as the second plane hit...I knew then it was no accident .

I remember no planes flying for a few days other than fighter jets (which was kind of creepy). I could hear them at night.

Most of the country came together and most of the world was supporting the USA.

I haven't watched the video of the towers coming down for a long time. It was on SO much it was too much.

"Never Forget" doesn't need to be said because anyone living through those days can never forget.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I was in one of my "sahm" stages with my youngest who was 3 years old and napping when it happened. My step father worked on the 108th floor. My brother and his then gf had 2 condos, one across from Central Park West and one next door to the Towers. I spent hours in my back yard on my knees crying, screaming, dialing like a madwoman trying to reach my mother, my step father, my brother, my sister, anyone that was in NYC that could tell me where they were. Phone lines were down. Couldn't get through. Called the kids school, asked them, no, begged them, to not turn the tv's on in my kids classrooms. People were already jumping out the windows. I had no idea if one of those people was my step father or not. It took 4 days to get through to anyone and find out that my step father had made it home, just the day before. Even my mother, brother and sister had no idea if he was alive or not until that moment when he walked in the door. Covered in stuff, ash, biohazard, name it, it was all over his clothes, hair, body. He had a breakfast meeting that day you see. He walked into the lobby as the first plane hit. He and the others then at the time not knowing what happened were still in the lobby pressing the elevator button when the fumes and stuff started coming through. They walked out. Under the awnings. Under the sounds of bodies landing on the awning. People they likely knew or passed in the hallways or elevators. Then they stood outside, not realizing the building was going to come down. Then ran, but not fast enough to avoid all the stuff in the air that it caused. And walked and walked and walked. All the way home to North Flushing. Since then, he's had half his jaw bone replaced with bone from his leg, gotten a brain infection from the various chemicals and biohazards he breathed in that day and has for all intents and purposes had to relearn how to do everything. He's just re-learning how to drive now and doesn't even leave the neighborhood yet. He still breaks down when he sees the wives or children of his former coworkers. He's one of 8 from his company who lived through that day. All because of a breakfast meeting that went late because he overslept for the first time in his working life.
:heart: Hug for you step father

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

Not all of them did. My kids were at the "Can Am" stage of their youth hockey days and I very clearly and distinctly recall the Canadian people straight up booing our Anthem when it was played before the games. It was ugly and awful.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I was in one of my "sahm" stages with my youngest who was 3 years old and napping when it happened. My step father worked on the 108th floor. My brother and his then gf had 2 condos, one across from Central Park West and one next door to the Towers. I spent hours in my back yard on my knees crying, screaming, dialing like a madwoman trying to reach my mother, my step father, my brother, my sister, anyone that was in NYC that could tell me where they were. Phone lines were down. Couldn't get through. Called the kids school, asked them, no, begged them, to not turn the tv's on in my kids classrooms. People were already jumping out the windows. I had no idea if one of those people was my step father or not. It took 4 days to get through to anyone and find out that my step father had made it home, just the day before. Even my mother, brother and sister had no idea if he was alive or not until that moment when he walked in the door. Covered in stuff, ash, biohazard, name it, it was all over his clothes, hair, body. He had a breakfast meeting that day you see. He walked into the lobby as the first plane hit. He and the others then at the time not knowing what happened were still in the lobby pressing the elevator button when the fumes and stuff started coming through. They walked out. Under the awnings. Under the sounds of bodies landing on the awning. People they likely knew or passed in the hallways or elevators. Then they stood outside, not realizing the building was going to come down. Then ran, but not fast enough to avoid all the stuff in the air that it caused. And walked and walked and walked. All the way home to North Flushing. Since then, he's had half his jaw bone replaced with bone from his leg, gotten a brain infection from the various chemicals and biohazards he breathed in that day and has for all intents and purposes had to relearn how to do everything. He's just re-learning how to drive now and doesn't even leave the neighborhood yet. He still breaks down when he sees the wives or children of his former coworkers. He's one of 8 from his company who lived through that day. All because of a breakfast meeting that went late because he overslept for the first time in his working life.
Good heavens.

That's.... well, I don't really have words.

:cry:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Not all of them did. My kids were at the "Can Am" stage of their youth hockey days and I very clearly and distinctly recall the Canadian people straight up booing our Anthem when it was played before the games. It was ugly and awful.
There are terrible people everywhere (including the USA).

I know many Canadian people and they are always there for us as we are for them. There are always a few idiots in every crowd.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
@Fenway my mom was also in NYC and tickets to the same game on the 10th.

She had the stubs framed. They were the older style stubs, long and narrow. In the mat and frame they resemble the twin towers.

Reactions: Fenway

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I could be wrong but this may have happened after the invasion of Iraq, or the run up to it.

Recall that Bruins fans sang "O Canada" with genuine affection and feeling after our anthem had been booed at hockey games in Canada. Probably MTL.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My first vivid memory of the day was how blue the sky was and the crisp fall air. It was the perfect late summer/early fall day in New England and there was no clouds in sight.

It was my 3rd college class of the semester (I only went Tuesday's and Thursday's). I got to school early and for some reason the TV in the student lounge wasn't on. My English class started at 8:30 and we were on the top floor of the building but at the very end of the hall. We also did not have a tv in the room. We had class and then a friend and I walked a few doors down to math class complaining how awful the teacher was. We only made it into the doorway when someone came flying down the hall yelling that there was a bomb in the school and they were going to blow us up. I ran down the stairs as fast as I could and ended up getting pushed down a few stairs but someone grabbed me to stop me from falling.

Made it outside and was looking for a few girls I knew who lived by me to see if they needed a ride home because I didn't want to be alone. It was a good thing because Route 9 was bumper to bumper because they had shut the westbound side down due to Governor Swift being driven to the emergency bunker in Framingham. We didn't have a clue what was happening and thought that it was the World Trade Center in Boston that got hit. I called my mom and she said it was the one in New York and to be careful. I found out later that the majority of the traffic was from TJX employees who lost 7 employees that morning. I ended up driving on 128 for the first time in my life and I thought I was going to die in the almost dead minivan I was driving.

20 years later TJX still has the giant American flag hanging inside their entrance which is visible on the Mass Pike. It was put up right after they got confirmation about their employees.

I dropped my friends off and went to go vote after WBZ AM said the polls were still open. It was my first local election so I had been so excited to vote after school. It wasn't until I had cast my ballot and walked out of the booth (we still had the lever machines) that I saw the 2nd plane hit and then the towers fall. I raced home and put ABC News on and found out about the Pentagon and Shanksville. I managed to chat via AIM with my cousin who was at NYU and who had been down at the WTC mall the day or two before and who had friends living near the towers. I remember the sirens in the background being so loud when I finally talked to her.

Took my dad a few hours to get home from the Charlestown Navy Yard and I remember him walking in the house with the special edition of the Boston lobe that had just been delivered. He and I sat on the couch and watched Tower 7 come down and then the President's speech. I worked at a credit union and the next morning I was cleaning the lobby and found a transaction slip from someone who had made a deposit right as one of the planes hit the towers. I blacked out all of the personal info and kept it in a box with clippings that I threw out 2 years ago after my apartment flooded.

I know people who lost family and friends that day and my cousin was in the city and while I have my feelings I can't begin to imagine how this event impacts them every day. I grew up near where the Bavis family lived but did not know him. The local town hockey team still honors him today.

Some days it feels like a lifetime ago and other days it feels like it just happened.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I was directly involved in taking care of 500 passengers at the hotel I was employed at in St. John's.

We did what people from Newfoundland and Labrador always do.....help people !

God Bless our neighbours....the good ole USA !!
:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Reactions: pgm16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad