Happy or Sad: Your Reaction if Tocchet Named HC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Nonsense. Coyotes infrastructure has been a hot mess for years. Talent acquisition and development has been nonexistent for years. Tippett has had little talent to work with from top to bottom of the roster.

One can throw out names like Turris or Mueller, or Domi for that matter, but the reality was that we had the poorest talent in the league, year after year. Tippett stated publicly when he took the job that the only chance for success with the Coyotes was to have a boring, grind it out style with the hope to win games 2-1. His whole system was meant to decrease the impact of opposing teams' offensive talent as much as possible.

I have no problem with Tippett leaving as part of the "purge", but let's not pin the blame of the Coyotes utter lack of success on Tippett. He shouldn't be scapegoated.

Answer me this, with Tippett in charge, do you really think he would have gone out and replaced Doan, Smitty, Murphy, Vrbata, Playfair, etc. with Stepan, Raanta, and Hammer? No ****in' way.

He's a huge reason the Coyotes infrastructure was a hot mess in the first place.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Answer me this, with Tippett in charge, do you really think he would have gone out and replaced Doan, Smitty, Murphy, Vrbata, Playfair, etc. with Stepan, Raanta, and Hammer? No ****in' way.

He's a huge reason the Coyotes infrastructure was a hot mess in the first place.

It started at the top, for sure.

To answer the thread's question, I'm happy. I'd have preferred Nelson but Tocchet will do.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
With Crosby, Malkin and Kessel in Pittsburgh and Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier in Tampa, Tocchet has experience working with some of the most talented offensive players of this generation. More importantly, they have all flourished under him. If all he does in Arizona is allow Strome, Keller, Domi, et al to fulfill their potential and play an entertaining style of hockey, this will have been a good hire.

It'll be nice to have a coach, who's trying to help our young talent's scoring ability to blossom, instead of trying to shoehorn them into becoming Tobias Rieder clones.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Acting like Tocchet as no credentials.

Away from hockey internet forums, people value results more than potential. Tocchet has Stanley cup 2x and NHL coaching experience, nelson does not

2 cups with Crosby and Malkin. Bylsma had one with them too, should he have been one of our finalists? Should Sutter have actually been our guy cause he's won two as HC, not just AC?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
With Crosby, Malkin and Kessel in Pittsburgh and Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier in Tampa, Tocchet has experience working with some of the most talented offensive players of this generation. More importantly, they have all flourished under him. If all he does in Arizona is allow Strome, Keller, Domi, et al to fulfill their potential and play an entertaining style of hockey, this will have been a good hire.

That's a good point. If you look at Tipp's history, the biggest offensive stars he was given were Allison, Palffy, Ribeiro, an aging Modano, and maybe Whitney. Certainly a gap there with the players listed above.

As for Tocchet, don't forget his time in Tampa was through their clown ownership days of Oren Koules and Len Barrie. That team was dysfunctional. Worse than IceArizona.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Nonsense. Coyotes infrastructure has been a hot mess for years. Talent acquisition and development has been nonexistent for years. Tippett has had little talent to work with from top to bottom of the roster.

One can throw out names like Turris or Mueller, or Domi for that matter, but the reality was that we had the poorest talent in the league, year after year. Tippett stated publicly when he took the job that the only chance for success with the Coyotes was to have a boring, grind it out style with the hope to win games 2-1. His whole system was meant to decrease the impact of opposing teams' offensive talent as much as possible.

I have no problem with Tippett leaving as part of the "purge", but let's not pin the blame of the Coyotes utter lack of success on Tippett. He shouldn't be scapegoated.

Tippett was our biggest problem. His being shown the door is the best thing to happen to this organization since he was initially hired, which was amazing for us at that time. He was a godsend for the situation we were in when he arrived. Over the last three seasons he'd become an absolute curse. Things change and "fit" is a real thing.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You're not wrong but it's worth noting that in both of those situations Mike Sullivan was present as well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tippett was our biggest problem. His being shown the door is the best thing to happen to this organization since he was initially hired, which was amazing for us at that time. He was a godsend for the situation we were in when he arrived. Over the last three seasons he'd become an absolute curse. Things change and "fit" is a real thing.

No he wasn't, ownership (NHL) was. DM and DT were only inn keepers. They had no money to spend on players, scouting and the infastructure in general. If ownership of any business does not give the tools to the employees and management to be successful, they won't be.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

Some how, the need to keep 1 less player on the roster year after year, the need to keep the bare minimum of coaches and scouts, and the need to keep the player payroll in the bottom 2 or 3 year after year maybe, maybe contributed to this mess more than a rigid, defensively oriented coach.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
No he wasn't, ownership (NHL) was. DM and DT were only inn keepers. They had no money to spend on players, scouting and the infastructure in general. If ownership of any business does not give the tools to the employees and management to be successful, they won't be.

The last 4(!) seasons, we haven't been owned by the NHL.

rt

May 13, 2004

Yes he was. His influence was unchecked and he did nothing but harm the team with it because he was a horrendous fit for the situation and had absolutley no intelligent idea in his head about how to proceed with the team in the circumstance it ended up in. In short: he sucks and that's why the door hit him in his stupid ass on the way out! Whoop! Whoop! That dumb ****er is goooooooooone. Gone guh guh guh gone!!!

rt

May 13, 2004
Some how, the need to keep 1 less player on the roster year after year, the need to keep the bare minimum of coaches and scouts, and the need to keep the player payroll in the bottom 2 or 3 year after year maybe, maybe contributed to this mess more than a rigid, defensively oriented coach.

Defensively oriented? Haha. Have you bothered to look at the team goals against? The words you are looking for aren't "rigid, defensively oriented", you mean to say "overwhelmed, out of touch, completley ineffective". That's Dave Tippett. He's also unemployed. Ahhhhhh. So glad his sorry ass is outta here.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So are the folks that had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Coyotes now much brighter future going to constantly revise history? It's already getting old.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Defensively oriented? Haha. Have you bothered to look at the team goals against? The words you are looking for aren't "rigid, defensively oriented", you mean to say "overwhelmed, out of touch, completley ineffective". That's Dave Tippett. He's also unemployed. Ahhhhhh. So glad his sorry ass is outta here.

I got it. He was cheating with your ex-wife and later married her. You hate him forever. :help:

You have an ox to gore like I rarely see.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What will make me happy is Barroway increasing payroll, hence talent, to the middle of the pack. Tocchet or whomever.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

He wasn't shown the door, he quit. The coyotes have never said they fired him. I'm fine with the coaching change. I don't care who the new coach is. I do think we will be better with Chalmers and stepan. A 1C and 1RHD are way more important than a coach. The Oilers picked up McJesus and Larson, and are way better because of it. TMac is an experienced coach but he wasn't the difference maker and Toch won't be either.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
They wouldn't have paid him $10M if he quit, nor repudiated everything about him in their wish list for the new hire. I mean, really?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
They wouldn't have paid him $10M if he quit, nor repudiated everything about him in their wish list for the new hire. I mean, really?

Show me the press release that says they fired Tip or we decided to make a move, go in another direction? They clearly traded smith and told Doan, we don't want you, but not Tip.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Whatever helps you sleep at night... I'm pretty sure you also said he'd only be unemployed for hours if he was fired, so tick, tock

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Show me the press release that says they fired Tip or we decided to make a move, go in another direction? They clearly traded smith and told Doan, we don't want you, but not Tip.

Clearly, the scenario was such that everything was a prelude to persuade Tippett to help himself out of the building.

Wanna leave now, we just replaced your good buddy in ICE Clowns
Wanna leave now, we just put Chayka above you in the pecking order
Wanna leave now, we just traded Smitty
Wanna leave now, we just let Doan know that we're not going to extend him a contract
Wanna leave now, we just traded a good prospect and top 10 pick for a #1C (albeit the bottom of the #1C and a goalie) to speed up the rebuilding process

This was a definite middle finger to Tip in all those things and Barroway basically stripped him of any authority, now, when your boss does that you can either quit with grace or be fired. Tippett took the graceful way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad