Happy or Sad: Your Reaction if Tocchet Named HC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I'm in the melancholy camp on this one.

It's encouraging for the likes of Domi, Duclair, Dvorak, Perlini, Keller and Strome for sure - the mandate from Chayka must be to make the most of these guys and you can see how Tocchet meets that requirement. I prefer Nelson though.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Nonsense. Coyotes infrastructure has been a hot mess for years. Talent acquisition and development has been nonexistent for years. Tippett has had little talent to work with from top to bottom of the roster.

One can throw out names like Turris or Mueller, or Domi for that matter, but the reality was that we had the poorest talent in the league, year after year. Tippett stated publicly when he took the job that the only chance for success with the Coyotes was to have a boring, grind it out style with the hope to win games 2-1. His whole system was meant to decrease the impact of opposing teams' offensive talent as much as possible.

I have no problem with Tippett leaving as part of the "purge", but let's not pin the blame of the Coyotes utter lack of success on Tippett. He shouldn't be scapegoated.

When your ineffective system does not change year to year AT ALL. It doesn't matter who you have on the ice.

Tippett was the biggest problem in that regard

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Guys, Tip's gone. He's got a nice golden parachute. Let's move on, shall we?

I'd really like someone to sell me on why Tocchet is our best option at head coach. Please.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I probably would have gone with "Indifferent" or "Mixed" rather than "Happy" if they were options. While I would prefer Nelson, I'm not "Sad" with Tocchet as an option.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think indifferent is a good choice.

All that we have established is that we want someone who is willing to play the youth, buy into the open communication, etc, etc.

The facts are what they are - he did do some good work with the Penguins, and we will see what the roster change does in the long run. I am not suggesting that he had some players that could carry him, but it would look a lot better if a team without Crosby/Malkin as its top two started to make leaps and bounds when Tocchet was in charge of their offense. Someone had mentioned maybe a Josh McDaniels or Charlie Weis type of situation. You look so good with the roster of players that you have, but if you make the roster less powerful, does it impact what you have?

The only thing that maybe puts me off on this is there are some people saying that he is a "player's coach." That can mean different things to different people. In the past, I have seen the "player's coach" usually wind up in a situation where they allowed certain players too much, and others too little. If blinders were put on, that could suggest Tippett all over again, so it seems odd that some people may laud this hire when that fact was a major reason why fans on this board wanted Tippett gone. Usually, the player's coach does wind up trending toward the country club atmosphere b/c once a player is given rope, it is hard to bring that rope back in, which can cause some locker room friction. If it is the case where he is the "player's coach" who is able to assist players in navigating through the game without being too lenient towards some and not to others, then we made a solid choice. From my past, I have seen a player's coach tend to lead to the former more often than the latter.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Agree on the "players coach" thing.
It makes many good leaders cringe.
Anyone whose ever led or been a commander understands the definition of "ingratiate"

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Fair to say our team will have some pushback with a personality like Toch behind the bench?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Helene St. James just tweeted that Todd Nelson was told the Coyotes are going with someone with "ties to AZ."

This is what annoys me about the Tocchet decision. He may end up being good, he may not, but the qualification seems to be that he played for the Coyotes once and was an assistant here, rather than his inherent qualifications as a coach.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Acting like Tocchet as no credentials.

Away from hockey internet forums, people value results more than potential. Tocchet has Stanley cup 2x and NHL coaching experience, nelson does not

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Helene St. James just tweeted that Todd Nelson was told the Coyotes are going with someone with "ties to AZ."

This is what annoys me about the Tocchet decision. He may end up being good, he may not, but the qualification seems to be that he played for the Coyotes once and was an assistant here, rather than his inherent qualifications as a coach.

That's indeed a very stupid reason to put a point in Tocchet's favor. Especially because his ties to AZ are pretty damn minimal all things considered.

It's not like he was particularly successful here as an assistant; not to mention the gambling ring. And his playing days were so long ago and not really that lengthy either. If you walked outside GRA and asked older fans to name players on the team in the 90's I'd bet he's at most 6th on the list.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

That's not what the tweet said. Nelson told St James it was his belief they were going with someone with AZ ties. He didn't say they told him that. He didn't say that WHY they went with the other candidate. He was merely identifying the candidate he believes they went with without naming him publicly.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I think, deep down, I was actually quite excited at the idea that we would be going with someone with zero previous ties with the franchise. Some sort of starting from scratch theory.

I am not particularly comfortable with the term if it is four years either but that's about all the negative I can find about this projected hire.

The rest is pretty good. The winning provenance of Tocchet is fantastic, because the two Stanley Cups won by the Pens have not been a walk in the park.

It has taken a lot of game to game, shift to shift management to get there, preparation and not only with the star players.

Some young guys have emerged, and there has never been a sense of panic in difficult times. This is a team that has always battled and competed, and if this mentality can be installed in our team, this would be a major step forward.

I think if Tocchet can bring some of that with him, it will be great for the development of the younger players. He can also relate with star players as per Kessel example so this will be useful to figure out the new leadership in that team.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I think you guys are reading into it too much.

I don't think his "ties to Arizona" got him the job, I think when asked, Nelson didn't want to name drop so he gave them his best description as to who it was. There's no way this management is getting sentimental now. Not after letting Shane walk. ridiculous to think that.

RABBIT

That's not what the tweet said. Nelson told St James it was his belief they were going with someone with AZ ties. He didn't say they told him that. He didn't say that WHY they went with the other candidate. He was merely identifying the candidate he believes they went with without naming him publicly.

Took the words out of my mouth. Everything has to be controversy here.:help:

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun

Trust the guy who just lost out on a job that he wanted? Yeah, I'm not going to. He sounds bitter

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nonsense. Coyotes infrastructure has been a hot mess for years. Talent acquisition and development has been nonexistent for years. Tippett has had little talent to work with from top to bottom of the roster.

One can throw out names like Turris or Mueller, or Domi for that matter, but the reality was that we had the poorest talent in the league, year after year. Tippett stated publicly when he took the job that the only chance for success with the Coyotes was to have a boring, grind it out style with the hope to win games 2-1. His whole system was meant to decrease the impact of opposing teams' offensive talent as much as possible.

I have no problem with Tippett leaving as part of the "purge", but let's not pin the blame of the Coyotes utter lack of success on Tippett. He shouldn't be scapegoated.

Good post.:nod:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Guys, Tip's gone. He's got a nice golden parachute. Let's move on, shall we?

I'd really like someone to sell me on why Tocchet is our best option at head coach. Please.

I have already posted why he was our best option. Tell me why he isn't our best option.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think indifferent is a good choice.

All that we have established is that we want someone who is willing to play the youth, buy into the open communication, etc, etc.

The facts are what they are - he did do some good work with the Penguins, and we will see what the roster change does in the long run. I am not suggesting that he had some players that could carry him, but it would look a lot better if a team without Crosby/Malkin as its top two started to make leaps and bounds when Tocchet was in charge of their offense. Someone had mentioned maybe a Josh McDaniels or Charlie Weis type of situation. You look so good with the roster of players that you have, but if you make the roster less powerful, does it impact what you have?

The only thing that maybe puts me off on this is there are some people saying that he is a "player's coach." That can mean different things to different people. In the past, I have seen the "player's coach" usually wind up in a situation where they allowed certain players too much, and others too little. If blinders were put on, that could suggest Tippett all over again, so it seems odd that some people may laud this hire when that fact was a major reason why fans on this board wanted Tippett gone. Usually, the player's coach does wind up trending toward the country club atmosphere b/c once a player is given rope, it is hard to bring that rope back in, which can cause some locker room friction. If it is the case where he is the "player's coach" who is able to assist players in navigating through the game without being too lenient towards some and not to others, then we made a solid choice. From my past, I have seen a player's coach tend to lead to the former more often than the latter.

DT played the youth last year and is a players coach and there is nothing wrong with that. The way it sounds to me DT finally had enough with all the turmoil around the ownership etc. With Tocchet we have a fresh voice who is full of energy and has something to prove, and this hire is far from perfect, but in my eyes much more perfect than the other options. I wish they would have interviewed a few more NHL assistants.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Acting like Tocchet as no credentials.

Away from hockey internet forums, people value results more than potential. Tocchet has Stanley cup 2x and NHL coaching experience, nelson does not

A counter argument to that is.....

His head coaching experience is suspect given the talent he had in Tampa Bay and what he did with it.

His two Stanley Cups as a coach were riding on Mike Sullivan's coat tails.

Gretzky had a bazillion Cups and it translated to chaos.

What is important here is how does the coach fit with the roster. Tippett was the right guy in 2009. But not so much after 2012 when the roster began to change.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think you guys are reading into it too much.

I don't think his "ties to Arizona" got him the job, I think when asked, Nelson didn't want to name drop so he gave them his best description as to who it was. There's no way this management is getting sentimental now. Not after letting Shane walk. ridiculous to think that.

I agree.

Took the words out of my mouth. Everything has to be controversy here.:help:

What else did you expect.:)

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
With Crosby, Malkin and Kessel in Pittsburgh and Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier in Tampa, Tocchet has experience working with some of the most talented offensive players of this generation. More importantly, they have all flourished under him. If all he does in Arizona is allow Strome, Keller, Domi, et al to fulfill their potential and play an entertaining style of hockey, this will have been a good hire.

RABBIT

With Crosby, Malkin and Kessel in Pittsburgh and Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier in Tampa, Tocchet has experience working with some of the most talented offensive players of this generation. More importantly, they have all flourished under him. If all he does in Arizona is allow Strome, Keller, Domi, et al to fulfill their potential and play an entertaining style of hockey, this will have been a good hire.

Perfect way to describe this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad