Post-Game Talk: Happy new year. - Heavy Dee

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Which one are you using? I was using an ad blocker with Chrome previously but the last update seemed to be able to bypass it. @bellagiobob pointed out the Brave browser for me and like you, I use it only for HFBoards and it’s golden.
It's called "free adblocker browser"...I think it's the same you are using but a different "name/contributor".

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
About the coaching, I don’t think Woodcroft was some awful coach but he was failing to adapt. That was my main criticism of Tippett too. The playoffs really illustrated this.

We’ll never know if things may have turned around anyway even if we didn’t fire him.

But I do really like KK. He just seems genuine, honest and humble. That leads to good decisions, humble enough to admit mistakes, willing to try new things because he’s humble and not arrogant and reluctant to change things when it’s necessary.

He just seems like a guy who is looking to make the right decisions, not picking favorites, not sticking to a plan if it doesn’t work, giving guys like McLeod and Foegele a chance.

Under Woodcroft I was just about ready to trade everyone except McDrai. Under KK I see 3C as the only hole, and that’s only been for 5-6 games since McLeod moved up. An upgrade on Ceci and a better goalie are still on the list, but they’ve been on the list for over a year, nothing to do with coaching.

Also shoutout to Paul Coffey. I haven’t really seen him doing interviews or anything, maybe they’re on Oilers+, but he must be doing something right. Bouchard took a step forward and Nurse is back to himself, making plays but not trying to be Erik Karlsson out there, he’s playing within his own limits and he’s shining. All I know is Coffey encouraged the D to make plays, doesn’t have to be a master stroke play, but make a play when it’s there.

Anyway it’ll be interesting to see how Woodcroft does with the next team, but I’m really happy with Knoblauch so far and excited to see what he can do differently in the playoffs, this could be our year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wanting to trade Bouchard was always a dumb take. Teams would kill to have an offensive talent like that patrolling the blue line, defense can always be worked on but offensive talent like that is innate.

Same with McLeod to a lesser extent. A bundle of size, speed and puck carrying ability. These are the type of players you always look for in a trade and should feel blessed to have developed internally.
Confidence.
McLeod is playing with so much confidence now. He obviously isnt going to sustain this level but now he knows what he is capable of. Just look at where he goes on the ice now. He goes into the dirty areas (especially in fron of the net) and he grinds it out along the boards.
A lot easier to play the wing. A lot less responsibility for him.
He has become a difference maker.
Kudos to Knoblauch for giving McLeod the opportunity to find his game on the wing.

Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
About the coaching, I don’t think Woodcroft was some awful coach but he was failing to adapt. That was my main criticism of Tippett too. The playoffs really illustrated this.

We’ll never know if things may have turned around anyway even if we didn’t fire him.

But I do really like KK. He just seems genuine, honest and humble. That leads to good decisions, humble enough to admit mistakes, willing to try new things because he’s humble and not arrogant and reluctant to change things when it’s necessary.

He just seems like a guy who is looking to make the right decisions, not picking favorites, not sticking to a plan if it doesn’t work, giving guys like McLeod and Foegele a chance.

Under Woodcroft I was just about ready to trade everyone except McDrai. Under KK I see 3C as the only hole, and that’s only been for 5-6 games since McLeod moved up. An upgrade on Ceci and a better goalie are still on the list, but they’ve been on the list for over a year, nothing to do with coaching.

Also shoutout to Paul Coffey. I haven’t really seen him doing interviews or anything, maybe they’re on Oilers+, but he must be doing something right. Bouchard took a step forward and Nurse is back to himself, making plays but not trying to be Erik Karlsson out there, he’s playing within his own limits and he’s shining. All I know is Coffey encouraged the D to make plays, doesn’t have to be a master stroke play, but make a play when it’s there.

Anyway it’ll be interesting to see how Woodcroft does with the next team, but I’m really happy with Knoblauch so far and excited to see what he can do differently in the playoffs, this could be our year.
Its a funny thing but Woody seemed to me to have this false sense of bravado.
Knoblauch seems a lot more real.
1704149652565.png

1704148980445.png

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Confidence.
McLeod is playing with so much confidence now. He obviously isnt going to sustain this level but now he knows what he is capable of. Just look at where he goes on the ice now. He goes into the dirty areas (especially in fron of the net) and he grinds it out along the boards.
A lot easier to play the wing. A lot less responsibility for him.
He has become a difference maker.
Kudos to Knoblauch for giving McLeod the opportunity to find his game on the wing.

There were some around here screaming for Oilers coaches to try him on Drai's wing, Drai works well with players who play with pace. I think Tippett tried it briefly for a time but that's it until now.

Personally, I wanted to see him developed as #3C because it's a much more essential position to have stability especially on this team but it's become more and more clear that he's better suited on wing where he can focus on his offensive strengths without having the burden of defensive responsibilities and having to drive a line. Still not sure if he's a top 6 wing long term but...so far so good.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There were some around here screaming for Oilers coaches to try him on Drai's wing, Drai works well with players who play with pace. I think Tippett tried it briefly for a time but that's it until now.

Personally, I wanted to see him developed as #3C because it's a much more essential position to have stability especially on this team but it's become more and more clear that he's better suited on wing where he can focus on his offensive strengths without having the burden of defensive responsibilities and having to drive a line. Still not sure if he's a top 6 wing long term but...so far so good.
He can always go back to center at some point. Many players have done that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

As mentioned I was one of those. Tippett did it for a solid month (and a bit in playoffs) having McLeod up with Leon and it was doing OK. it was paying some dividends in that McLeod was having a chance to develop other facets in game and around net. One week into the Woody era Mcleod was pulled from Drai. and to never go back there until KK came around.

In anycase Mcleod is more of a topsix winger than Yamamoto. Whereas Yama had some battle on pucks Mcleod is FIRST getting to pucks and a much better passer and better at finding open space due to his speed.

• Haha
Reactions: guymez

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He can always go back to center at some point. Many players have done that.
For sure, but we like him right where he is now ;)

As mentioned I was one of those. Tippett did it for a solid month (and a bit in playoffs) having McLeod up with Leon and it was doing OK. it was paying some dividends in that McLeod was having a chance to develop other facets in game and around net. One week into the Woody era Mcleod was pulled from Drai. and to never go back there until KK came around.

In anycase Mcleod is more of a topsix winger than Yamamoto. Whereas Yama had some battle on pucks Mcleod is FIRST getting to pucks and a much better passer and better at finding open space due to his speed.
IF Yamamoto was McLeod's size, he'd be a hell of a player.

Reactions: guymez

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think with the way the Oilers are built McLeod can be a top 6 winger just fine if he can be a 20G-50P guy. They get enough offensively already from guys like Hyman and Nuge on the wing that McLeod just needs to be a step up from the Yamamoto/JP production they were getting. So far so good on McLeod's part since moving up.

Long-term I like Holloway as the 3C more than McLeod anyways. Much more willing to go into traffic, stronger and more physical, and imo has the potential to be a good 2-way guy and face-off guy. Hopefully he can find some good health moving forward as injuries have definitely impacted his ability to become a consistent contributor on this team.

When he's back I'd run:

Nuge-McD-Hyman
McLovin-Drai-McLeod
Janmark-Holloway-Kane
Revolving door of Gagner, DR10, Brown and Hamblin

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I think with the way the Oilers are built McLeod can be a top 6 winger just fine if he can be a 20G-50P guy. They get enough offensively already from guys like Hyman and Nuge on the wing that McLeod just needs to be a step up from the Yamamoto/JP production they were getting. So far so good on McLeod's part since moving up.

Long-term I like Holloway as the 3C more than McLeod anyways. Much more willing to go into traffic, stronger and more physical, and imo has the potential to be a good 2-way guy and face-off guy. Hopefully he can find some good health moving forward as injuries have definitely impacted his ability to become a consistent contributor on this team.

When he's back I'd run:

Nuge-McD-Hyman
McLovin-Drai-McLeod
Janmark-Holloway-Kane
Revolving door of Gagner, DR10, Brown and Hamblin
Yeah I haven’t been sold on McLeod being the 3C we need. But maybe he’s learning some valuable lessons on Drais wing, like he’s scoring in the high danger areas now and he’s doing it a lot. If he went back to C maybe he’d have the confidence to go to the net more.

I’m totally fine keeping him where he is though, he’s doing his job as a top 6 winger so why change it?

I’d get a more veteran 3C, which would pay off majorly in the playoffs. Holloway will get there eventually, but it’s a gamble to rely on him this season because of his inexperience seemingly being prone to injury. He is a great fit though, but I’d prefer a rental with some experience.

Reactions: McFlyingV

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Its a funny thing but Woody seemed to me to have this false sense of bravado.
Knoblauch seems a lot more real.
View attachment 794086

View attachment 794083
Everyone loved this photo at the time and now it's bad lol, I loved it the phlegms agony brought me total satisfaction. I find it funny how posters try and use this as a knock against Woodcroft now .

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Which one are you using? I was using an ad blocker with Chrome previously but the last update seemed to be able to bypass it. @bellagiobob pointed out the Brave browser for me and like you, I use it only for HFBoards and it’s golden.

Aside from Brave on PC, for Chromium browsers (edge and chrome) i use ublock. Then I also use sponsorblock for youtube. Love that addin. Must make guys like Linus @ LTT who think adblokckers are piracy vibrate knowing users can skip right over their in video sponsorships lol

But Brave seems to be the one to go to for mobile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad