Post-Game Talk: Happy new year. - Heavy Dee

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Isn't that exactly what preseason is for?
You introduce a new system, have plenty of time for training and no important games yet. That's the exact time you try something like that.

Middle of the season would be the exact opposite, unless your team is failing entirely. You have a constant stream of games and travelling, thus little time to train and get familiar with a new system. You can't exactly spend the scant practise-time you have on practicing both the current and the future system either, it would not only be way too confusing, but you would also not have enough focus on either system.

The timing of the system-change was exactly right. It's just that the new system didn't work out.

correct me if i am wrong, but isnt pre-season primarily for conditioning the old and evaluating the new.

And yeah, they tried it and it didn't go so shit hot and then persisted. And pre-season is NOT plenty of time. You get what, 8 meaningless games with hodgepodge rosters and your main guys get in like half the games?

Now, i admittedly am not as hockey kniwledgable as some of you guys and would never claim to be, but a major system overhaul when the guys are coming in cold and the standing is are reset I would argue is exactly NOT the time.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
After that win we’re 4 points back of WC1 with 3 games in hand and in the next 10 games, the only real playoff team is the Leafs. Hard to not think we’re in really good shape after the rough start to the year

We're essentially same pace as last year but without the supernova McD and a lazy Drai. Imagine if they finally turn it up a notch we know they can.

But then we still have Skinner and I'm still a bit unsure how that'll go:popcorn:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
correct me if i am wrong, but isnt pre-season primarily for conditioning the old and evaluating the new.

And yeah, they tried it and it didn't go so shit hot and then persisted. And pre-season is NOT plenty of time. You get what, 8 meaningless games with hodgepodge rosters and your main guys get in like half the games?

Now, i admittedly am not as hockey kniwledgable as some of you guys and would never claim to be, but a major system overhaul when the guys are coming in cold and the standing is are reset I would argue is exactly NOT the time.
I think NHL players stopped using training camp for conditioning many years ago. They come to camp fully conditioned. They seldom stop training year round . I think they do use camp for getting tempo and game speed into their game.

During the year practice time is almost non existant with game schedules and travel requirements and mandated days off and when coaching changes are made you often hear how hard it is for them to make significant changes because time isn’t on their side. Rather, they tweak things as they go along.

Camp then is the perfect time esp for an incumbent coach to install new systems. On a team like Edmonton, you know who 95% of the players will be, you are simply setting lines, systems and expectations at that point.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

This is just f***ing wild to me, sincerely.

This team is really good.

Team is right about where they were the last 2 years. But the big difference is the competition is considerably better this year. Last year, that record had them in a playoff spot tied for the top wild card and only a few points behind 2nd. They are playing very well right now, but the mountain is steeper this year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It’s not that it didn’t “work out”. Woody for the 2nd year in a row did not use the preseason to his advantage and the team was again woefully unprepared as he spent more time searching for the 13/14th forwards over committing this team to the systems he wanted to use, which was akin to jamming square pegs into round holes. His utter lack of adaptability killed us in the playoffs and carried forward into the season.

Breakouts up the wall vs the middle. Once teams sealed off the wall we had nowhere to go.

Long chip n chase dump ins negating the teams strength on the rush.

His zone box + 1 D was never communicated properly as KK has them playing the same D effectively but with a simpler less aggressive + 1.

Neutral zone 1-3-1 made us the worst team defending the rush. KK went back to the 1-2-2 creating a layered defence.

Woody went away from an effective 2-1-2 forecheck style for some reason known only to Woody and to God.

His panic move to default to 29 97 91 left the team with poor offensive depth. He couldn’t commit to keeping them apart.

The 11-7 was really a 9-6 and while it jump started the team after Tippet was fired it hit the expiry date the year before but he kept feeding it to the team.

When he changed the lines he wouldn’t stick with them. He’d go back to his power line crutch at the first sign of adversity.

Sorry but Woody was totally exposed by Vegas and fumbled in spectacular fashion this year. He was lucky McDavid RNH and Draisaitl went thermonuclear last season, that Skinner saved our ass till Campbell could pull his head out of his ass and that we landed Ekholm last year or we would have missed the playoffs last year already.

Woody was the wrong coach and he proved it.
I also think the Oilers of last year under Woody were a bit of a house of cards, with the PP producing at an unprecedented rate, and masking a lot of 5 on 5 play and other issues. This year, things seem much more stable in overall play, and while the PP is not near the force they were last night, they can be lethal and a game changer when needed. I like the way the TEAM is playing this year much better.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Camp then is the perfect time esp for an incumbent coach to install new systems. On a team like Edmonton, you know who 95% of the players will be, you are simply setting lines, systems and expectations at that point.

Agree but Woody used camp exhibition games as a reward system for players who were good minor league soldiers rather than thanking them for their service and sending them to Bako. He had a shit ton of work to do and not a lot of time to do it. Instead we got The Quote Of The Day, The Power Stance, 10,000 interviews about Managing The Day with every media outlet stupid enough to interview him to which he happily obliged, and an Ego Trip worthy of Gene Simmons and Mick Jagger. He loved talking about setting expectations and accountability but did neither.

When it came time to implement his version of simple effective systems it was too late as it was already Game 1 and Vancouver kicked us in the nuts, punched us in the head, and left us for dead at the side of the road and they never recovered.

Reactions: frag2 and Biltmore

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I have no idea what to do with all this cookware now.

1704138475025.png

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Agree but Woody used camp exhibition games as a reward system for players who were good minor league soldiers rather than thanking them for their service and sending them to Bako. He had a shit ton of work to do and not a lot of time to do it. Instead we got The Quote Of The Day, The Power Stance, 10,000 interviews about Managing The Day with every media outlet stupid enough to interview him to which he happily obliged, and an Ego Trip worthy of Gene Simmons and Mick Jagger. He loved talking about setting expectations and accountability but did neither.

When it came time to implement his version of simple effective systems it was too late as it was already Game 1 and Vancouver kicked us in the nuts, punched us in the head, and left us for dead at the side of the road and they never recovered.
Is Gene Simmons the biggest ego tripper ever? John Lennon maybe?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Ego indeed. I caught flak at the time for saying that Woody had taken credit for the change around in team fortunes his first year here. He spoke as if he was responsible for the turnaround. I found it so offputting. Similarly when the teams fortunes were down, for instance last playoffs, Woodys message was we win as a team and lose as a team. Never once did he take blame of any kind for his starting the same goalie 12X and pulling him 4X, or failure to adapt, failure to match lines adequately, failure to stem bleeding due to Vegas top line. Woodys exit pressers failed to take any responsibility for the playoff loss.

One need see only one picture of Woody to see who he is. Him posing like a cheshire standing by the bench petulantly tapping fingers impatiently waiting for Sutter to have to shake his hand. He was so proud of what HE had accomplished. In his mind he had deposed a SC winning coach. It was about him, posing there like an idiot. Power stance, lol.

Woody is the the good time Charlie that takes credit for other peoples work but is the first to throw them under the bus when things aren't working as well. Always thought it was a bit mean spirited as well to send Campbell Broberg and Erne to the minors and continue to go with his favorites. Whatever people think of Campbell he had played in only 5 games this season and had played well in a couple. That wasn't enough track to decide where things were at. It seemed at the time just another way to ensure Skinner got all the starts. Indeed Skinner got all the starts after Campbell was sent down and Pickard called up. All of Pickards 6 games have been under KK. 5 of them starts.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Yes. His camps were notably slack, lacked energy and it was clear that they did not prep the team to shoot out if the cannon, either year he was in place.

At the time sometimes it’s hard to see what you don’t have, but Coach Kris has really shone a light into some dark areas. Kris has his own deficiencies but he doesn’t appear to have some of the Achilles heels that would prevent him from improving in areas needing improvement. His apparent lack of ego and need to be the smartest guy in the room are assets vs Achilles heel weaknesses.

I also think we can’t underestimate the influence and mentoring that 7/77 is having on him. Man was I wrong about Paul. And I’m glad I was.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

This is just f***ing wild to me, sincerely.

This team is really good.

Every season, the Oilers needed an early/mid-season spark to get going too

21/22: Signing Kane out of desperation & canning Tippet/hiring Woodcroft
22/23: Arrival of Vincent Desharnais (seriously) & Ekholm trade
23/24: Firing Woody/hiring Knob & ???

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hands up who thought that McLeod would be such an effective winger and he would have major chemistry with Foegele.
Wow.
8 wins...3 losses...5 wins. At least this team isnt streaky. ;)

Happy New Year...especially to the posters that piss me off (and the ones I have pissed off). :D

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I have an add blocker app which is actually a browser which I only use for HF...search add blocker in your app store...it's running good for me.
Which one are you using? I was using an ad blocker with Chrome previously but the last update seemed to be able to bypass it. @bellagiobob pointed out the Brave browser for me and like you, I use it only for HFBoards and it’s golden.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Great win! Total domination.

I think the people crying to dump Foegele, McLeod and Bouchard earlier should just block themselves next year.

Wanting to trade Bouchard was always a dumb take. Teams would kill to have an offensive talent like that patrolling the blue line, defense can always be worked on but offensive talent like that is innate.

Same with McLeod to a lesser extent. A bundle of size, speed and puck carrying ability. These are the type of players you always look for in a trade and should feel blessed to have developed internally.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad