Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
What to do?

the lady friend got rear ended driving my car today. She is totally fine, just spiked with adrenaline. It’s a 2012 Dodge Journey w 160k. No mechanical issues ever. Has been hit now FIVE times on the corners, I’ve never reported it.

this one pushed a reflector in on the ass end and popped the giant panel out of its clips. I might be able to pop it back myself.

the guy was apologetic and cool about it. Offered cash. He had no papers to show so the police arrived to check it all out.

I’m not in any hurry to ditch the car cuz mechanically she’s been a BEAST for reliability, but aesthetically she’s looking a little rough now. I’m leaning toward letting this slide again, but I’m torn.

Will that pushed in reflector on the back ruin my chances for a safety inspection? If not, i should just let this slide right? It’s Christmas!

@BMC ?

I'm not licensed in MA so I can't into specifics. In general I definitely recommend filing a claim with the other party's insurance company- 1. He hit your vehicle but especially 2. your lady friend feels OK now but 24-48 hours from now she could feel very differently (worse). At the very least she should be checked out.

You may have to report the accident to his company yourself- you'd be surprised at how many people try to ignore the situation hoping you will go away. Get a copy of the police report (not the summary) that will have all the details including a diagram of the accident & any citations against the other driver. That report will go a long way in confirming responsibility for the accident. Be prepared to be a pain in the ass sadly there are companies out there that will drag the claim process out to wear you down & out. If it turns out he was driving w/o insurance ( I suspect this because he offered cash up front) then see if there is any coverage under your own policy for your lady friend's medical expenses & repair work on the car.

Good luck!

@TDCharlie

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat and LSCII

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
EJDokRX.jpg

This is fantastic :biglaugh:

Although I don't know if I'd want to waste Sweet Baby Ray's on an elf on the shelf :dunno:

Reactions: Alicat

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yeah, always get their info just in case.

When I was in college some Asian dude rear ended me at a stop light and I did a visual check of the back of the car and it looked fine with no damage so we went on our ways and didn't exchange info. Next day as I get ready to drive somewhere I find that my muffler was basically dragging on the ground. Had to pay for it myself. Now I know better, even if something looks fine, just get info anyway.

one of my tailpipes is gouged a little but i gave a good tug on the muffler and it didn’t budge. I’m gonna give it a couple days and see what happens, but likely calling it a wash

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Saw this question posted on Reddit, and I had to think about what my answer is:

What's the most outrageously expensive thing you've seen in person?

I honestly have no idea. Probably the Porsche owned by one of the partners at the law firm I used to work at?

What's the Stanley Cup worth? :D

Don't know about single item, but for place there's no going past Monaco. Its reputation precedes it, but once you get there the sheer amount of money dripping from every corner of that tiny little enclave is still astonishing. Sheer glamour and ostentatious wealth, but somehow without feeling gaudy or tacky, with the odd exception. On that beautiful stretch of Med coast, it just works.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I just looked it up. The Elf on the Shelf book came out in 2005, and then it seemed to have exploded fairly quickly. So it's a relatively new phenomenon that not many on this board would have experienced as a kid.

We do NOT plan on doing this thing with our child.

Reactions: Alicat and BMC

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
What to do?

the lady friend got rear ended driving my car today. She is totally fine, just spiked with adrenaline. It’s a 2012 Dodge Journey w 160k. No mechanical issues ever. Has been hit now FIVE times on the corners, I’ve never reported it.

this one pushed a reflector in on the ass end and popped the giant panel out of its clips. I might be able to pop it back myself.

the guy was apologetic and cool about it. Offered cash. He had no papers to show so the police arrived to check it all out.

I’m not in any hurry to ditch the car cuz mechanically she’s been a BEAST for reliability, but aesthetically she’s looking a little rough now. I’m leaning toward letting this slide again, but I’m torn.

Will that pushed in reflector on the back ruin my chances for a safety inspection? If not, i should just let this slide right? It’s Christmas!

@BMC ?

if the guy is at fault go thorough the process and then just take the check at the end instead of getting it repaired. I made $2k on this a few months ago. Save it for a new (used) car fund :)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
if the guy is at fault go thorough the process and then just take the check at the end instead of getting it repaired. I made $2k on this a few months ago. Save it for a new (used) car fund :)

So it gets better. Not only did the guy not have any insurance paperwork, but his registration isn't in his name...but his name is written in pen on the corner. The police officer on the scene didn't write a full report, just documented it and gave us a little index card with useless info. He never checked the other guys info that I can tell.

My guess is that this guy was driving a car that he just got, or just never registered in the last year. The "insurance" on the registration is from the previous owner and he doesn't have any. It's all a mess.

As for putting the claim in and taking the cash, already been done on this same car, same bumper, still has the scuffs and bulge from 7 years ago. It was over $600 last time, this I assume is over a grand because it's not just the bumper now, but also a reflector, lower bumper trim, and the exhaust got bounced around.

Now I'm torn.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
So it gets better. Not only did the guy not have any insurance paperwork, but his registration isn't in his name...but his name is written in pen on the corner. The police officer on the scene didn't write a full report, just documented it and gave us a little index card with useless info. He never checked the other guys info that I can tell.

My guess is that this guy was driving a car that he just got, or just never registered in the last year. The "insurance" on the registration is from the previous owner and he doesn't have any. It's all a mess.

As for putting the claim in and taking the cash, already been done on this same car, same bumper, still has the scuffs and bulge from 7 years ago. It was over $600 last time, this I assume is over a grand because it's not just the bumper now, but also a reflector, lower bumper trim, and the exhaust got bounced around.

Now I'm torn.

I never carried uninsured motorist in MA because it was not mandatory but I had a claim in VT which it is mandatory and it was pretty cut and dry, though it was a hit and run. Deductible was only $150. Then I got the rest in a check.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I never carried uninsured motorist in MA because it was not mandatory but I had a claim in VT which it is mandatory and it was pretty cut and dry, though it was a hit and run. Deductible was only $150. Then I got the rest in a check.

I just recently slashed my plan and my annual is like $400. I’m almost certain i took off just about everything optional on MY car. Personal injury and damage to others property is all i have. Cuz the car is a little older and beat up anyway. That’s part of the reason I’m torn on calling it in to begin with.

might just call in the morning and check options. If nobody gets hosed i may just go through with it. I wish it wasn’t Christmas. It makes it hard to be a Scrooge

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
All this talk of car damage reminds me of another of my favorite old videos. Appropriately set during the Christmas season lol.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
One more and I'll stop...I cry laughing listening to this every single time.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I just recently slashed my plan and my annual is like $400. I’m almost certain i took off just about everything optional on MY car. Personal injury and damage to others property is all i have. Cuz the car is a little older and beat up anyway. That’s part of the reason I’m torn on calling it in to begin with.

might just call in the morning and check options. If nobody gets hosed i may just go through with it. I wish it wasn’t Christmas. It makes it hard to be a Scrooge
Go after the guy. Let your insurance company handle the claim. After dealing with my situation I have a different outlook on people who act like irresponsible jackasses in their car.

Turns out the cops knew the guy hit me but he had over a month to fix the damage so the cops couldn't press charges. Left me with paying a $1,000 deductible.

Reactions: BMC

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
it's likely time to demand most cable operators to add Circle Network, after what happened this past weekend with the late Charley Pride, THIS network has the televised version of what began on the radio of the Gran Ole Opry program.

CBS/VIACOM has virtually eliminated all programming that TNN (Gaylord), AND CMT were founded upon.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Now I'm torn.

I was afraid of this when you said he offered $ up front. In CT (I don't know about MA) the officer has to write up a full report, that can take up to 10 days-2 weeks to become available. What he gave her sounds like a summary (names, addresses, vehicle info, etc).

Checking registration & insurance info is hard, the cop can only go by what he's given at the time of the accident. If someone gives him false or expired info he won't know it until he checks everything out, then he can go back & charge the driver for no valid registration, no insurance etc. I don't know of a DMV in any state who can keep up with the number of people driving without licenses, registrations or insurance, it has become an epidemic since the last recession.

:(

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad