OT: Happy Canada Day!

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
working today (double time) :)

In all honesty, since I kicked away alcohol and drugs, I haven`t really done a thing on Canada Day.

This country, as you know, is in a devastating time with the discoveries of remains on so many children on land which once housed residential schools, this year, even without Covid, I think would have a very different vibe.

I love this country and am proud to be Canadian but this is a horrific mark on our history and being married to not just a beautiful woman but one who also has Status has, over the years, opened my eyes to many things I never knew about.

On that happy note, be safe out there to those who are celebrating our birthday today

I hear you.

This is a sad and horrible part of our history and we have still a very long road ahead of us. We all have to change and help people change and the first step is to apologize for not wanting to see, not having the courage to say and have recognition of the importance of our Canadian First Nation citizen in our culture, counrtry and our history.

The First Nation are part of the basement of our North American culture house. They are part of what I am. Canadian history teaching ignored how important they were and now how important they are in what we have become as a nation. In this Canada Day, my thought are for my friends, Canadien and Quebecers First Nation brother and sisters.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
working today (double time) :)

In all honesty, since I kicked away alcohol and drugs, I haven`t really done a thing on Canada Day.

This country, as you know, is in a devastating time with the discoveries of remains on so many children on land which once housed residential schools, this year, even without Covid, I think would have a very different vibe.

I love this country and am proud to be Canadian but this is a horrific mark on our history and being married to not just a beautiful woman but one who also has Status has, over the years, opened my eyes to many things I never knew about.

On that happy note, be safe out there to those who are celebrating our birthday today

First, I love Canada, and the game it gave to all of us.

I grew up in the Detroit area, watching Channel 9 from Windsor, during all of those awful Harold Ballard Leafs years (but we had Dave Hodge and Howie Meeker. And Mike Palmateer!).

Channel 9 gave me reruns, and therefore an introduction, to Laurel & Hardy, the Dick Van Dyke Show, and so much more. I sort of raised myself in the 70s, and Chanel 9 helped me to do so.

The indiginous revelations. I don't know what to say, though I knew of some of this.

It is a great tragedy, for a great country. But, with much work to do, Canada has instituted its own "truth and reconcilliation" commission.

As Trudeau noted after predictable Chinese government gloating, "Where is your truth and reconcilliation commission?" I will leave that, there.

It's difficult. It's shocking. It's shameful. But, again, Canada is at least attempting honesty and accountability. That's the only way.

I consider it my adopted country, which features, by and large, a good and decent people.

Sending the good thought to you, our neighbors to the North.

We love you,

:nod:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It’s good that finally these atrocities that were committed on these children is finally being spoken more freely,but I don’t understand why it has taken so long in 2015 a government report was issued describing these unmarked graves ,but for some reason the media and government really kept it pretty hush hush,until just recently.

Unfortunately, that's what human beings, and their governments, do. No one is proud of it. It is, however, human nature.

Reactions: BMC

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Thank you everyone! We do have a great country and hopefully can make it better by admitting the past and helping our indigenous community heal. I worked with someone whose fiancee had status and when she would use her card to purchase products in stores (they don't pay taxes), the filthy looks and comments were heartbreaking. Obviously this didn't happen everywhere but my eyes were opened as to how much disrespect they have to deal with.

Happy Canada Day!! We will get stronger!!

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Unfortunately, that's what human beings, and their governments, do. No one is proud of it. It is, however, human nature.
Yeah just strange how this report came out in 2015 ,and told in great detail about these schools and the unmarked graves ,and the media pretty much ignored it

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
(If I may Wally I just want to leave this other viewpoint here in my 1st paragraph)

The Catholic Church ran 70% of those residential homes and they have never apologized, even today while First Nation leaders are pressing the Pope. The Church is silent and not admit anything as of yet. They removed the gravestones. At least the Government has come forth and admitted its wrong doings. A shameful stain on a country and we are guilty. Glad it has been outed.

Thanks for all the nice comments from our very best friends south of us. I have relatives in Boston as a my mother is from the Maritimes and the connection runs deep between them. My Canada Day was about learning, no fireworks and working on my family history.

I discovered I am 9th generation to this land. Having family come from France as master ship builders to Acadia in the mid 1600's. Marriages between them and the Mi'kmaq is also in my gene pool. Even finding out the name Hall is in their a few times, there is the segway.

Next is to say an early Happy Independence Day, Sunday doubles as my Daughters birthday so I can never forget it.

Reactions: sooshii

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
(If I may Wally I just want to leave this other viewpoint here in my 1st paragraph)

The Catholic Church ran 70% of those residential homes and they have never apologized, even today while First Nation leaders are pressing the Pope. The Church is silent and not admit anything as of yet. They removed the gravestones. At least the Government has come forth and admitted its wrong doings. A shameful stain on a country and we are guilty. Glad it has been outed.

Thanks for all the nice comments from our very best friends south of us. I have relatives in Boston as a my mother is from the Maritimes and the connection runs deep between them. My Canada Day was about learning, no fireworks and working on my family history.

I discovered I am 9th generation to this land. Having family come from France as master ship builders to Acadia in the mid 1600's. Marriages between them and the Mi'kmaq is also in my gene pool. Even finding out the name Hall is in their a few times, there is the segway.

Next is to say an early Happy Independence Day, Sunday doubles as my Daughters birthday so I can never forget it.
. Pope Benedict did in 2009 for whatever it’s worth.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Please lets move on.
There isnt a county in the world without issues.

This thread is a ‘Happy Birthday’ thread.
I agree 100% but right now in Canada saying Happy Birthday is kind of frowned on,but agree will not post about this on here again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad