HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
To all of our posters north of the border

full

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
They cancelled all the fireworks in my neck of the woods this year.

One of our family traditions is that my brother writes a Canada Day quiz/trivia for what used to be big parties at our cottage. Doing it on Zoom today with the whole family - so it'll be hard to hide my ignorance -or cheat. He's been writing them for 25 years (he's our family's Pierre Berton), around a 100 questions a year, and they just go further down the rabbit hole of - what? Nobody knows that. I'll be in awe if I'll know more than a couple answers. I asked him for a cheat sheet the other day but no luck.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
They cancelled all the fireworks in my neck of the woods this year.

One of our family traditions is that my brother writes a Canada Day quiz/trivia for what used to be big parties at our cottage. Doing it on Zoom today with the whole family - so it'll be hard to hide my ignorance -or cheat. He's been writing them for 25 years (he's our family's Pierre Berton), around a 100 questions a year, and they just go further down the rabbit hole of - what? Nobody knows that. I'll be in awe if I'll know more than a couple answers. I asked him for a cheat sheet the other day but no luck.

working today (double time) :)

In all honesty, since I kicked away alcohol and drugs, I haven`t really done a thing on Canada Day.

This country, as you know, is in a devastating time with the discoveries of remains on so many children on land which once housed residential schools, this year, even without Covid, I think would have a very different vibe.

I love this country and am proud to be Canadian but this is a horrific mark on our history and being married to not just a beautiful woman but one who also has Status has, over the years, opened my eyes to many things I never knew about.

On that happy note, be safe out there to those who are celebrating our birthday today

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Happy Canada Day to all of our Canadian friends. I can't wait to go back.

Andrew, that was a beautiful post. History always shows that humans have gotten many things horribly wrong, but the worst part is often the cover-up. In any case, each time we travel to Canada we are overwhelmed by everyone's friendliness.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Happy Canada Day to all of our Canadian friends. I can't wait to go back.

Andrew, that was a beautiful post. History always shows that humans have gotten many things horribly wrong, but the worst part is often the cover-up. In any case, each time we travel to Canada we are overwhelmed by everyone's friendliness.
Thank you friend, it`s a lovely country with great people. Our history is not nearly as squeaky clean as far too many think, as it`s now being discovered

My wife and I moved/drove across the country on our way to moving here to Vancouver Island, stops in every province and were met by some of the nicest folks out there and never felt unsafe

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

In all honesty, since I kicked away alcohol and drugs, I haven`t really done a thing on Canada Day.

This country, as you know, is in a devastating time with the discoveries of remains on so many children on land which once housed residential schools, this year, even without Covid, I think would have a very different vibe.

I love this country and am proud to be Canadian but this is a horrific mark on our history and being married to not just a beautiful woman but one who also has Status has, over the years, opened my eyes to many things I never knew about.

On that happy note, be safe out there to those who are celebrating our birthday today
It’s good that finally these atrocities that were committed on these children is finally being spoken more freely,but I don’t understand why it has taken so long in 2015 a government report was issued describing these unmarked graves ,but for some reason the media and government really kept it pretty hush hush,until just recently.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

For those that don't know what you're talking about, and I don't want to get into the details on this board as people can look it up - but Canada's darkest stain was brought into horrific light this year in a near unimaginable way.
My wife explicitly said No - we're not doing Canada Day this year because of that. My wife is much more attune do to her job as compared to my idiocy.

I'm one of those jack-asses that never understood why they used the word 'survivor' in the context of residential schools. I couldn't have imagined how f***ing in the wrong I was. - even right now I'm verklempt thinking about it. The cottage is in Manitoba and for parties probably a good quarter/third of the people that come over are indigenous/Status and Metis - and it definitely would've been different. I grew up a klik from a reserve, friends, played hockey, went to school, soccer, etc. with a lot of native kids. I've never been oblivious - but I never Understood.

It's 9am. I'm going back to being in a good mood for a bit.
xo

Reactions: GordonHowe and BTO

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Thank you friend, it`s a lovely country with great people. Our history is not nearly as squeaky clean as far too many think, as it`s now being discovered

My wife and I moved/drove across the country on our way to moving here to Vancouver Island, stops in every province and were met by some of the nicest folks out there and never felt unsafe

I've been back and forth this country driving, train and flying a lot of times. I've lived everywhere from Moncton to Sooke. It's beautiful and the people are great.

On a happy note. Sounds like the train is finally going to Churchill again which is great for the community - but selfishly, I was going to drag my teenage girls up there last year to be on The Hudson Bay and see some polar bears because... ? I'm a jerk of a dad - but should be able to this year - Taking them to the largest snake pit in the world, it's near Gimli (Crown Royal) this year also. And Glacier Highway.

Because... ? I think it's funny. The pulse of what teenage girls want to do - hang-out with their dad looking at ice and snakes. (actually, it's a beautiful country and I want them to experience it)

Reactions: bbfan419

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Sadly we will all have to own this and realize our country is not as perfect as we like to believe.

Happy Canada Day to all the Canadian posters.

And a big Thanks to all our US posters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad