Happy Birthday To Bob Clarke

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Besides Pete Rose, is there a Philadelphia sports figure who has such a chasm between their perception as a player and their days after?

(And before anyone rips my head off, Pete Rose>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anyone else).

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
I think Larry Bowa was hated more as a manager than Clarke is in the front office

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
Bob Clarke would ironically be more beloved in this town if he would just disappear and stop trying to be involved with the franchise ala Julius Erving or someone like that.

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
there's always going to be brainless stepfords, but I actually think the word is starting to get out to the masses about the toxicity of the "advisors".

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
there's always going to be brainless stepfords, but I actually think the word is starting to get out to the masses about the toxicity of the "advisors".
Disagree as Meltzer has a pretty good following. He has stated numerous times Clarke is not involved at all. Only time he gets involved is when Chuck seeks his opinion. Same Holmgren.

He also said Lombardi is the one who has Scot's ear. Barber also involved.

Up to each individual to believe what they like.

Reactions: 04hockey

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Clarke was particularly effective in that war of attrition that was the 1972 Summit Series, executing John Ferguson’s assignment on the Russians’ best forward, Valery Kharlamov, perfectly.

Ferguson: Bobby, try and tap that ankle of his and break it. We’ll slow him down.

Clarke: I just chased him down and gave him a whack on the side of the ankle and I don’t know if I broke his ankle or not and he wasn’t an effective player (after that), he tried to play …

Cue it from 2:05 for both quotes. Look at how nonchalantly Ferguson and Clarke describe the “play”:

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
After spending the whole morning, afternoon and evening dealing with my kid's first birthday party, I sit down and discover that he has the same birthday as Bob Clarke.

I'm not sure what to do with this information.

(Sidenote: I have the same birthday as Sean Couturier.)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
After spending the whole morning, afternoon and evening dealing with my kid's first birthday party, I sit down and discover that he has the same birthday as Bob Clarke.

I'm not sure what to do with this information.

(Sidenote: I have the same birthday as Sean Couturier.)

Enlist the kid in the French Foreign Legion immediately.

Reactions: pit

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Clarke was particularly effective in that war of attrition that was the 1972 Summit Series, executing John Ferguson’s assignment on the Russians’ best forward, Valery Kharlamov, perfectly.

Ferguson: Bobby, try and tap that ankle of his and break it. We’ll slow him down.

Clarke: I just chased him down and gave him a whack on the side of the ankle and I don’t know if I broke his ankle or not and he wasn’t an effective player (after that), he tried to play …

Cue it from 2:05 for both quotes. Look at how nonchalantly Ferguson and Clarke describe the “play”:

Different game, different time.

Eerie, almost sociopathic now. Then, just beat the commie bastards.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
The vast majority of the fanbase doesn’t look poorly at Clarke.

We’re in the minority here.
Well, Bobby Clarke the player is loved, but Bob Clarke post-playing career should be universally despised but the fanbase for many things

Different game, different time.

Eerie, almost sociopathic now. Then, just beat the commie bastards.
The Canadians got away with so much in that series. Even the 87 series was quite bad in terms of what they did and got away with. Just go look at Lemieux's goal from a different camera angle...yeesh

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Well, Bobby Clarke the player is loved, but Bob Clarke post-playing career should be universally despised but the fanbase for many things
His management career pales in comparison to his playing career, but Bob Clarke had a good post-playing career. Not great, but good.

His post-playing career is wrongly bashed by a younger generation who only know him from the Lindros feud and as being the icon from the Broad Street Bullies era, "ancient" hockey from which they distance themselves.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
His management career pales in comparison to his playing career, but Bob Clarke had a good post-playing career. Not great, but good.

His post-playing career is wrongly bashed by a younger generation who only know him from the Lindros feud and as being the icon from the Broad Street Bullies era, "ancient" hockey from which they distance themselves.
Wrong. So very wrong.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
An inspiration to all. Got my Clarke t shirt on. My son did a school project on hockey players that played with medical issues when he was 9. Clarke playing with Diabetes at the time he did was quite the accomplishment. Max Domi playing today is another. Both diabetic and with celiac disease.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Which is surprising since the Captaincy is absolutely everything when it comes to a teams success and Clarke must be a god-tier captain since he won cups.

Why did he stop being a leader?

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
yeah, Clarkie sucked .....go jeffery toobin', you'll feel better
299205341_5957454190948745_5364659937839885862_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes