Proposal: Hanifin to VAN for 7OA

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Pass.... if Benning wants to accelerate the rebuild, do it with picks, not with another trade. Sutter, gudbranson, erikkson, Granlund etc..... all failed to accelerate. With the ink barely dry on a Ill conceived extension you would think he’d feel comfortable not trading away picks or high end prospects. Plus the cheap high value of the ELC years for hanafin are gone as opposed to a 7th overall pick

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Two things....the "everybody is available from Carolina but Aho" always seems to ignore the obvious second half of that phrase which is "...for the right price".

Noah Hanifin was the #5 pick in his draft and, while he's not progressed as fast as Provorov or Werenski, he has developed exactly along the path that defenseman typically develop. He's advanced each and every year and we, again, expect a similar jump in production and capabilities this season.

As others have said, you're not getting him for a lower draft pick and an unproven prospect, not matter how good the prospect. The 7th OA and DiPietro doesn't get the phone answered. The 7th OA and Demko might get the Canes brain trust to answer the phone, but only to tell you that it isn't going to be enough. We certainly understand if you feel that the trade conversation would then end. But Carolina isn't trading one of their highest value assets (who is still getting better) for futures only.

I'm not sure what package the Canucks could put together that would entice the Canes into a deal. I'm not the front office, so who knows, but from a fan's perspective, the deal would have to include a Horvat or something similar....and if I was Vancouver, I wouldn't do that either.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Why is this still going. Carolina fans want more then Vancouver can afford to offer, and Vancouver wants this to be a diamond in the rough kind of trade because of our rebuilding/No present assets situation.

Demko and our 7th overall is just not doable. Demko is second only to Pettersson in terms of value for prospects. Our 7th is almost equally ungettable, but with Hanifins projection and development, I would make a trade based around that. Hanifin has the higher floor, being in the NHL and all, but were giving up a top ten pick and our second best prospect we've been grooming to start work this year. There isn't a scenario where this is a price Vancouver can pay.

Even the OP has me uncomfortable at the amount of potential we are sending to Carolina.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Canucks think they are good at drafting. They won't trade their top pick.
Benning is a good drafter...he messed up on Juolevi and Virtanen picks but they will still be solid NHLers at least. He scored on Pettersson, Boeser, Gaudette, Demko etc

I'd much rather have Hughes or Dobson at 7. I'd only trade the pick if the draft goes:

Dahlin
Svech
Zadina
Hughes
Dobson
Wahlstrom

I'd prefer all those to Hanifin, but if we have to pick between Bouchard/Boqvist/Tkachuk, I'd rather have Hanifin.

Reactions: DanCloutiers5hole

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Two things....the "everybody is available from Carolina but Aho" always seems to ignore the obvious second half of that phrase which is "...for the right price".

Noah Hanifin was the #5 pick in his draft and, while he's not progressed as fast as Provorov or Werenski, he has developed exactly along the path that defenseman typically develop. He's advanced each and every year and we, again, expect a similar jump in production and capabilities this season.

As others have said, you're not getting him for a lower draft pick and an unproven prospect, not matter how good the prospect. The 7th OA and DiPietro doesn't get the phone answered. The 7th OA and Demko might get the Canes brain trust to answer the phone, but only to tell you that it isn't going to be enough. We certainly understand if you feel that the trade conversation would then end. But Carolina isn't trading one of their highest value assets (who is still getting better) for futures only.

I'm not sure what package the Canucks could put together that would entice the Canes into a deal. I'm not the front office, so who knows, but from a fan's perspective, the deal would have to include a Horvat or something similar....and if I was Vancouver, I wouldn't do that either.
Virtanen was a #5 pick and is developing just like a young power forward does. I would never trade him for a lesser pick and unproven prospect. Am i doing this right?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I've thrown out 3OA (MTL) for Hanifin. Montreal gets a top pairing LD, Carolina gets Zadina to play with Necas.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it but I think it makes some sense. Montreal wants to be better right away and a LD that can play with Weber but is still young is a big hole. Continues the trend of trading for players 2-3s older than the guy they're giving up. Carolina owner loves Dundon so it stands to reason Zadina could be intriguing to them.

This actually makes a ton of sense. Carolina comes out of the draft with both Zadina and Svechnikov. Then both Montreal and Carolina could fight to make a deal with say Dallas in a package for their 1st involving either Patches or Skinner. (This would be assuming that Kotkaniemi is available at that pick).

As for Canucks to get Hanifin, I just can't see it happening. Good player but rightfully so, Carolina is looking at a lot in return. Vancouver simply does not have the expendable assets to make a move like this work.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
No, you’re not.

How are Hanifin and Virtanen’s development even remotely similar?
Both underperforming compared to their peers.
Virtanen (Ehlers, Nylander, Pastrnak)
Hanifin (Provorov, Wereinski)

Hanifin is a stud, top 4 dman with #2 upside. I’m just saying, Vancouver won’t miss on the opportunity to draft Dobson who IMO is a shutdown dman with excellent offence capibilities and has #1 (Pietrangelo type) upside

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Hanifin is a stud, top 4 dman with #2 upside. I’m just saying, Vancouver won’t miss on the opportunity to draft Dobson who IMO is a shutdown dman with excellent offence capibilities and has #1 (Pietrangelo type) upside

There are different degrees to this “underperforming” you speak of.

Hanifin and Virtanen are not on the same level.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina

hanifin has #1 potential upside lol, why is everyone saying he isnt, and why is everyone i know saying he is a two way when he is a ofd that uses his skating ability to counter offence? Canes fans are sure he will be one and still has the potential to. Virtanen should have been nhl ready a year or 2 ago. i mean hanifin beat him into the nhl as a defenseman in his first year after the draft, that is what a forward is supposed to do.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Crazy how people would rather roll the dice with 7# overall than having a young sure fire top 4 D.

Jan 21, 2018

What a homer post. No one is moving a pick higher/equal to 5th overall to hanifin who's value has only gone down since his draft. Canes should be thrilled with 7th overall especially if Dobson and Hughes are still available.

Otherwise just keep Hanifin and hope he continues to develop. He's still probably going to be a top 4D one day, but he's certainly not worth a top 5 pick give me a break LOL

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Virtanen was a #5 pick and is developing just like a young power forward does. I would never trade him for a lesser pick and unproven prospect. Am i doing this right?

No, because Noah Hanifin had more points as an 18 year old rookie defenseman than Jake Virtanen had as a 21 year old forward.

And believe you me, Hanifin was terrible as an 18 year old.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
You’re all missing my point. I never said Virtanen and Hanifin were on the same level. I’m saying that both of them are not worth their draft position and have been surpassed by many others. #7 for Hanifin is fair, but Vancouver needs to hit a home run here.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Maybe MTL will do Drouin for Hanifin, If the 7th oa is in play the Leafs are out!! we can go get Tanev who fits better than Hani for way cheaper, even Braun or Myers will work. I understand my GM looking into it but if all Car wants is a massive steal (next Larsson-Hall trade) then we are OUT. Its going to be a pick+prospect.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
What a homer post. No one is moving a pick higher/equal to 5th overall to hanifin who's value has only gone down since his draft. Canes should be thrilled with 7th overall especially if Dobson and Hughes are still available.

Otherwise just keep Hanifin and hope he continues to develop. He's still probably going to be a top 4D one day, but he's certainly not worth a top 5 pick give me a break LOL

Hahahaha....there's this thing called a mirror....maybe you should take a moment to use it before you start throwing around the homer label.

Noah Hanifin has progressed exactly as numerous other young defensemen have (Hedmen, Jones, etc. - take a moment and check the history/numbers at the same points in their careers). And no, the Canes should not be "thrilled" to wait another 2 or 3 years for an unproven Dobson, Bouchard, Wilde, et al to progress to the level of Noah Hanifin.

More importantly, as I said, I'd not pay the price that it would likely take to get Hanifin if I were the Canucks. You might not like it, but you're going to have to lose guys you don't want to, assets you don't want to, if you're angling for a 21 year old rising blueliner. Otherwise, as I also implied, then don't do it.

And, yes, we'll be happy to keep young Noah unless some foolish GM is willing to overpay (or if the rumors of him being dissatisfied in NC are true).

Frankly, nearly every pundit worth his salt had Hanifin in the Top 5 of his draft year. I remain certain he will more than live up to his draft position.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Maybe MTL will do Drouin for Hanifin, If the 7th oa is in play the Leafs are out!! we can go get Tanev who fits better than Hani for way cheaper, even Braun or Myers will work. I understand my GM looking into it but if all Car wants is a massive steal (next Larsson-Hall trade) then we are OUT. Its going to be a pick+prospect.
Not a chance.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017

He would be on the top pair on your team. 10 Goal, 19 minute Dman who is GOING to be a top 4D one day. Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00