Recalled/Assigned: Hammond and Varone recalled Dec 6

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I don't know how I feel about Hammond anymore. His whole refusal initially to not want to go to Binghamton when the Senators asked him to turned me off on him. Your boss, in this case the Senators organization, asks you to do something and you just flat out refuse to do it? In the real world that would have a few consequences . I would have just cut him from the team the same day. Condon has been more than capable in Anderson's absence

All he said is he wanted to stay with the big club nothing wrong with that.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Everything wrong with that. Refusing a direct (and pretty boilerplate) request from the organization demonstrates how little of a team player he is. He's not willing to make a short-term sacrifice for the betterment of the team.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Everything wrong with that. Refusing a direct (and pretty boilerplate) request from the organization demonstrates how little of a team player he is. He's not willing to make a short-term sacrifice for the betterment of the team.[/QUOT

It was not a request from the team a reporters asked him would are your thoughts about going to Bingo he said I prefer to stay in Ottawa.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It was not a request from the team a reporters asked him would are your thoughts about going to Bingo he said I prefer to stay in Ottawa.

Andrew Hammond confirmed Thursday he’s been approached by the Senators about going to the club’s AHL affiliate on a conditioning stint, but that won’t happen until he has a change of heart or is put on waivers to be sent down.

Source here.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere

There's plenty wrong with that. When your boss tells you to report to the minors for a little bit, you report to the minors. I would have cut his ass the second I heard he outright refused to do it. He's no Craig Anderson or Carey Price where he has the weight to be able to be refusing what the team is telling him what to do. He came out of nowhere and had a miracle run a few seasons ago and that was the end of that. Nothing more to it, to be honest. It's not like we would be letting go of the next Dominik Hasek or something like that if we were to get rid of him, so it's no big deal if we did

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I understand the emotions here from fans but this isn't football, so we can't just cut a guy. Hammond has a valid, one way NHL contract for this season AND next season. The only option is to buy him out of his last year during the buyout window next June, but even at that this club has shown a reluctance to use buyouts to get rid of bad contracts.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I understand the emotions here from fans but this isn't football, so we can't just cut a guy. Hammond has a valid, one way NHL contract for this season AND next season. The only option is to buy him out of his last year during the buyout window next June, but even at that this club has shown a reluctance to use buyouts to get rid of bad contracts.

Not sure this qualifies as a 'bad contract'. He's a capable NHL back up. The sheen that coats Condon right now is the same one that coated Hammond a while back.
Hammond was on fire and playing great hockey for a much longer period of games than we've seen from Condon this season. I'm not entirely sold on either one at this point.
I'm just saying it's not like Hammond's contract is some kind of albatross or anything. Hammond and Condon are pretty interchangeable if you ask me.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
There's plenty wrong with that. When your boss tells you to report to the minors for a little bit, you report to the minors. I would have cut his ass the second I heard he outright refused to do it. He's no Craig Anderson or Carey Price where he has the weight to be able to be refusing what the team is telling him what to do. He came out of nowhere and had a miracle run a few seasons ago and that was the end of that. Nothing more to it, to be honest. It's not like we would be letting go of the next Dominik Hasek or something like that if we were to get rid of him, so it's no big deal if we did

Actually he has an NHL contract he doesn't have to go down and most ppl wouldn't

if the sens want him to go down then give him a fair chance by putting him through the waiver wire to give him a shot elsewhere if another team wanted to

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Actually he has an NHL contract he doesn't have to go down and most ppl wouldn't

if the sens want him to go down then give him a fair chance by putting him through the waiver wire to give him a shot elsewhere if another team wanted to

It just comes off as disrespectful to me. If Condon keeps playing the way he is, Hammond is not terribly important to this franchise. We've seen his story a million times in sports. Guy comes out of of nowhere, leads his team on some sort of miracle run and then comes back to Earth and reality

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

From what I understood, the team asked him to simply go down for a conditioning stint. That was it. He wasn't being sent down for long, just a few games and he refused.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad