Recalled/Assigned: Hammond and Varone recalled Dec 6

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
2016-12-06 Andrew Hammond (G) Binghamton DEL Recalled from loan by Ottawa (NHL)
2016-12-06 Phil Varone (C) Binghamton DEL Recalled from loan by Ottawa (NHL)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Garrioch says Anderson is flying back to Ottawa.
But it may just be he's realized that it isn't fair to the team/Condon to jump in and out of the lineup especially if his head isn't in the game.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Garrioch says Anderson is flying back to Ottawa.
But it may just be he's realized that it isn't fair to the team/Condon to jump in and out of the lineup especially if his head isn't in the game.

Yep. At this point, a leave of absence is the best thing for Andy. He can't keep going back and forth like this....its too mentally exhausting.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Yeah I really feel for Andy. But may as well be with his wife and family until they at least know more and how she is with chemo/radiation.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, if I'm Anderson I take a full leave of absence to be with his wife full time. As others have said this going back and forth has to be getting to him.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Don't think anything changed with Anderson. He just isn't going on the trip out West. I believe he will still be taking starts now and then whenever his personal situation allows. It remains fluid.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I think people are reading way too much into Anderson's game last night. Garbage games happen for goalies, and they happen to every single goalie.

Anderson has been playing extremely well though this whole process so far so to turn around and blame his personal situation for this one game seems like a knee jerk reaction.

As for the playing, then going home, then playing, then home. Yes, it's a unique situation, but at least Anderson is a pro and at this point in his career he knows his body and what it needs, so I'm sure he is very aware of his ability to play games and when to pull the plug if he's not into it anymore.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It is too difficult for Andy, he can be inspired at times but hard for him to really be focused on his job. IMO, he has been very good in 10-12 games but also been subpar or really bad in 7 games. Hard to play with this inconsistency. Price to Pavelec night to night. Hopefully Condon helps the team, it's demanding too much to Andy to be the N.1 right now. Ease him into the 2nd role (for now)

http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/1929/craig-anderson

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
I'm interested to see how Varone fits in...he's a decent playmaker. I understand he was taking long shifts etc and hopefully he stays out of Boucher's doghouse this time.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I'm interested to see how Varone fits in...he's a decent playmaker. I understand he was taking long shifts etc and hopefully he stays out of Boucher's doghouse this time.

Was that really why he was sent down?

He is fast and can make plays we desperately need more of that in our bottom six.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think people are reading way too much into Anderson's game last night. Garbage games happen for goalies, and they happen to every single goalie.

Anderson has been playing extremely well though this whole process so far so to turn around and blame his personal situation for this one game seems like a knee jerk reaction.

As for the playing, then going home, then playing, then home. Yes, it's a unique situation, but at least Anderson is a pro and at this point in his career he knows his body and what it needs, so I'm sure he is very aware of his ability to play games and when to pull the plug if he's not into it anymore.

Nah, Andy has been sliding a bit over his last 3 starts or so. The guy is human, and trying to be a savior for both his family and his team....no one can do that for an extended period of time. Last thing the Anderson family needs is Andy getting too worn down and getting sick himself.

Besides, we simply can't have this team relying on Andy to constantly bail them out, either. These guys have to learn how to step up and play strong team D consistently no matter who is in net (yes, I know Condon has two shutouts...but it is obvious the team still leans heavily on Andy). The guys need confidence in themselves and the system by the time the playoffs arrive...otherwise it's just another Montreal situation where the team falls apart when Price isn't 100%.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
It's not a knee jerk reaction.
It's just a simple matter of logistics.

You think he's practicing between games? I mean he's probably still getting into the gym, but I seriously doubt he's able to see NHL calibre shooters when he's back with his family.

So it's obvious he's not going to be at 100%, then add in the stress of what's going on, combined with Hammond playing Yo-yo and Condon never knowing when he gets the next start... It really only makes sense for him to focus on one thing at a time.

He probably thought he could handle it all, but realized it's not all that viable a plan.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
We're pretty damn lucky that our 2/3 goalies are Condon/Hammond. Hope Andy takes all the time he needs!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Nah, Andy has been sliding a bit over his last 3 starts or so. The guy is human, and trying to be a savior for both his family and his team....no one can do that for an extended period of time. Last thing the Anderson family needs is Andy getting too worn down and getting sick himself.

Besides, we simply can't have this team relying on Andy to constantly bail them out, either. These guys have to learn how to step up and play strong team D consistently no matter who is in net (yes, I know Condon has two shutouts...but it is obvious the team still leans heavily on Andy). The guys need confidence in themselves and the system by the time the playoffs arrive...otherwise it's just another Montreal situation where the team falls apart when Price isn't 100%.

Three starts ago he had a shutout. Game against Buffalo was all over the place so I don't see that as a weak game for him. Aside from last night, he's looked pretty damn good.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Three starts ago he had a shutout. Game against Buffalo was all over the place so I don't see that as a weak game for him. Aside from last night, he's looked pretty damn good.

But, being all over the place is an indication of a slip (unless you are Hasek, and your style is to have no style at all). I did notice for a few games, sometimes he was a bit slow, out of focus, looked behind him a few times. Not saying he was bad or weak....but not at the same razor sharpness he was a month ago.

It's only that, you could start to see subtle hints that he was starting to slip. Pittsburgh was very noticeable, but it did start to slip before that.

The poor guy has gone through so much in the past few months....there is no way he was going to continue at the pace he was before.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
It's interesting to note that the local media has been pretty silent regarding Hammond's situation. No quotes or anything about how he's dealing with this or rumours etc.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I don't know how I feel about Hammond anymore. His whole refusal initially to not want to go to Binghamton when the Senators asked him to turned me off on him. Your boss, in this case the Senators organization, asks you to do something and you just flat out refuse to do it? In the real world that would have a few consequences . I would have just cut him from the team the same day. Condon has been more than capable in Anderson's absence

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
I don't know how I feel about Hammond anymore. His whole refusal initially to not want to go to Binghamton when the Senators asked him to turned me off on him. Your boss, in this case the Senators organization, asks you to do something and you just flat out refuse to do it? In the real world that would have a few consequences . I would have just cut him from the team the same day. Condon has been more than capable in Anderson's absence

"PM#88":

You should have seen him down here in games........ He does not even talk to his team mates~~~!!!!!!!!!!

Hard to watch + all this miserable short team needs is a toxic team mate..............................

I feel sorry for KK down here.........

Can you just keep Hammond up there the rest of the season........

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
"PM#88":

You should have seen him down here in games........ He does not even talk to his team mates~~~!!!!!!!!!!

Hard to watch + all this miserable short team needs is a toxic team mate..............................

Great just what we need. A 3rd goalie with an attitude.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
"PM#88":

I hope this team just cuts him. He had a great run but he's nothing special overall. It's a business at the end of the day and Condon has more than capably filled in the role that Hammond has for this team without any of the bad attitude

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
"PM#88":

Does he have an actual bad attitude though? Hammond was known as a very quiet guy in Ottawa too and well liked by his teammates. He went in and did his job. Some people just aren't very outgoing, doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad teammate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad