Hamilton

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
he would have been and the three game sweep by the Habs with Steve Penny between the pipes, you could see that Kluzak was getting in the Bourque territory.

That was the best he ever was- he hurt his knee ironically just bending over to pick up a golf ball after a putt and that was it- 60% of what he was that series.

that was a ballsy pick that I hated but had Kluzak been healthy the Bruins would have won it

I saw glimpses but it goes to show that potential and fulfillment are miles apart. I think Kluzak was tougher than Hamilton with a slight edge to Hamilton offensively. Kluzak also came in at 221 pounds while Hamilton is 200. I don't know that Hamilton is the prospect that Kluzak was.

Afam*

There are literally millions of Bruins fans, and no fan base is a monolith. I have no doubt that a large amount (probably the majority) will be patient with Hamilton, but that still means a significant number won't be, and that number will undoubtedly let their thoughts be heard. If someone doesn't call talk radio within the first two weeks dumping on Hamilton I'll eat my computer.

Do we get to see a video of you eating your computer. JK.lol

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Jeez, it's been quite awhile since the Bruins had a real blue-chip defenseman prospect to break into the team. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but the last guys who were high picks (via Boston or others) and highly touted like Hamilton were probably Boynton and Jillson, right? Lashoff and Mark Stuart were first rounders, but later in the 1st and did not have that type of buzz around them.

As others are saying, it will be interesting to see how he fits in and adapts. I guess it will be like Seguin. Keep him under control, learn to play in the system, minimize exposing mistakes (harder with a d-man playing a regular shift). The #1 thing I'll want to see from him is an ability to learn to keep it simple and to be composed handling the puck. At NHL speeds, that won't happen day 1. The wish list item is to see him have some positive impact on the PP, a little 2nd unit time or whatever.

The wild card is how he handles the physical side. Will he hold up against the bigger, stronger opponents? Will he feel comfortable initiating contact? Not sure what to expect from him this year.

hahahaha!!! You have no idea how wrong you are on this one Black Eye.

Anybody who went to the 99 draft will vouch for me when I give you exactly how that pick went down....

"With the umteenth pick in the 1999 draft, the Boston Bruins pick Nick Boynton!"

.............(crickets chirping)......(sounds of magazine pages being furiously turned trying to find out who this guy was)....

After about 15 seconds of this my buddy breaks the silence in the arena by belting out "NICK BOYNTON! WHO THE HELL IS NICK BOYNTON?!" directed toward the ESPN booth. Jim Schoenfeld turns around and just shrugs his shoulders and gives the ole "hell if i know" look.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005

Anybody who went to the 99 draft will vouch for me when I give you exactly how that pick went down....

"With the umteenth pick in the 1999 draft, the Boston Bruins pick Nick Boynton!"

.............(crickets chirping)......(sounds of magazine pages being furiously turned trying to find out who this guy was)....

After about 15 seconds of this my buddy breaks the silence in the arena by belting out "NICK BOYNTON! WHO THE HELL IS NICK BOYNTON?!" directed toward the ESPN booth. Jim Schoenfeld turns around and just shrugs his shoulders and gives the ole "hell if i know" look.

C'mon. Boynton was drafted #9 overall by Washington a few years prior but did not sign. He was drafted in the first round again. He was a known commodity and was highly regarded on the draft circuit for quite awhile. Jim Schoenfeld took too many noogies from Cashman, I don't put much stock in what he remembers... don't know who a #9 overall draft pick was??

He was the 3rd defenseman taken in the '97 draft. Not unlike Hamilton. BTW, what the hell happened to that draft class? Jebus there were a lot of disappointments in that group.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
C'mon. Boynton was drafted #9 overall by Washington a few years prior but did not sign. He was drafted in the first round again. He was a known commodity and was highly regarded on the draft circuit for quite awhile. Jim Schoenfeld took too many noogies from Cashman, I don't put much stock in what he remembers... don't know who a #9 overall draft pick was??

hehe!

DKH, Doc5hole, Wally, were any one of you there to back me up?

I repeat - NOBODY knew who he was. He wasn't in any draft magazine and even folks in the tv booth were frantically flipping through their notes trying to find him. I think Barry Melrose was there as well.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
hehe!

I repeat - NOBODY knew who he was. He wasn't in any draft magazine and even folks in the tv booth were frantically flipping through their notes trying to find him. I think Barry Melrose was there as well.

Not sure what to say - will rely on others to clear this up. I'm pretty sure Boynton was a well known commodity to draft niks and there was actually some excitement about Boston's selection of him given his past stature as a prospect and prior draft history. There was even some hope about him coming up faster than usual because he had re-entered.

Are you sure you're not thinking of somebody else? The Bruins have certainly reached several times over the years when picking in the first round and there's no question they pulled a few surprises with their picks. But Boynton would not be one of them IMO.

But I'll defer to the recollections of the masses here.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010

So that's the reason why there hasn't been a draft here since...

:sarcasm:

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
Pie O My, not trying to bust your balls here because I could be wrong in my recollections. Being 125 years old, that is increasingly possible.

But you did pique my interest in seeing what the story was and I found this. http://www.lcshockey.com/issues/75/75draft.asp. That's '97, when he was ranked #8 by hockey central and picked #9 by Washington. A couple years later he re-entered. People knew who he was (again, IMO). I don't know, maybe the fact he re-entered did not jibe with publication dates for draft guides or whatever and he was not listed for mundane reasons like that. But I have to believe his name was quite familiar to many people.

:huh:

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
hehe!

Heck even I knew who Nick Boynton was.

I wasn't at the draft, but I was excited when i heard bout the B's taking him...right around 20 if I'm not mistaken.

He wasn't as highly touted as Hamilton, to the original point, I'll give you that, Pie.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Pie O My, not trying to bust your balls here because I could be wrong in my recollections. Being 125 years old, that is increasingly possible.

But you did pique my interest in seeing what the story was and I found this. http://www.lcshockey.com/issues/75/75draft.asp. That's '97, when he was ranked #8 by hockey central and picked #9 by Washington. A couple years later he re-entered. People knew who he was (again, IMO). I don't know, maybe the fact he re-entered did not jibe with publication dates for draft guides or whatever and he was not listed for mundane reasons like that. But I have to believe his name was quite familiar to many people.

:huh:

there were 8 of us in our crew, and 1 guy said something like "wasn't he picked last year or something?" and that was the extent of our knowledge. We were shooting the breeze all day long with some serious puckheads all around us who were giving us all kinds minutiae about the top players and all of them had the same reaction. You could hear a pin drop in that place when that pick was announced. Granted a few more picks in and about 15-20 minutes later word had started to spread about who had been picked but i'm telling you, Boynton had pretty much no pressure on him coming in.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
hehe!

I knew who he was from the first time he was drafted and he came with high expectations. Schoenfeld's reaction was misinterpreted.

Kosikarzzz

Mar 10, 2004
Windsor
hehe!

Thought has was originally drafted by another team....couldn't come to terms and re-entered the draft. Just off the top of my head....Washington? Maybe I am wrong

EDIT...someone beat me to it!

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
Thought has was originally drafted by another team....couldn't come to terms and re-entered the draft. Just off the top of my head....Washington? Maybe I am wrong

EDIT...someone beat me to it!

Yes, #9 overall pick by Washington in 1997. Did not come to terms with them. Wasn't a big reach, was pretty highly rated heading into the draft.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Got it. For example if Seguin has a 30 goals 20 assists season that is great, because he would have 50 points whereas if he goes for 19 goals 20 assists that is bad. As for dougie I'm assuming 14 goals goals 20 assists would be good because that would brings his total points to 34 which is good for a defenseman.

If Dougie gets 4 and 10 be happy. 14 and 20?? Not a chance.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Wow, such lucky people that get to share the rink with you. Too bad about those other losers though, eh?

What the hell are you talking about? Tell me, do you enjoy hearing people scream stupid crap at players when they can't even pronounce their names right?

I went to a few baseball games when I was just learning the game and I asked questions. I didn't pretend to be an expert. Sometimes people ask me questions at games now. It's fun to talk about the game and share your love for it.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
hehe!

Lol.

I will admit I had to ask Kirk who the kid was and for info..
But in my defense I do that a lot with draftees.

:D

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Lol.

I will admit I had to ask Kirk who the kid was and for info..
But in my defense I do that a lot with draftees.

:D

I am vindicated! woohoo!! :laugh:

Note to self - if i ever attend another draft at the garden make sure I sit near Black Eye, BNHL, Super Tacks, and Kozikarzzz. ;)

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Chiarelli just called him a combination of Larry Robinson and Rob Blake.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Since Boynton was 20 at the time of the draft. Only the 18 and late born 19 year olds are in the draft mags. Remember this clearly and in the second round the Bruins took another reentry player LW Matt Zultek. Never played a game for the Bruins, he was injured most of the time. They were both first drafted in the 97 draft. Joe first Sammy 8 and Boynts 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad