Hamilton

Afam*

Yep, each goal and assist total is added together for points

Goals are worth more as far as judging player value, but they are added the same, and usually about half the number of games played for either category is very good (both together and the player is often considered elite

For example, Tyler seguin's upcoming season:

48 games - 25+ goals 25+ assists = very good
48 games - 20 goals 25 assists = good, expected
48 games <17 goals <20 assists = unsatisfactory

Got it. For example if Seguin has a 30 goals 20 assists season that is great, because he would have 50 points whereas if he goes for 19 goals 20 assists that is bad. As for dougie I'm assuming 14 goals goals 20 assists would be good because that would brings his total points to 34 which is good for a defenseman.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Got it. For example if Seguin has a 30 goals 20 assists season that is great, because he would have 50 points whereas if he goes for 19 goals 20 assists that is bad. As for dougie I'm assuming 14 goals goals 20 assists would be good because that would brings his total points to 34 which is good for a defenseman.

Are you talking about this season?

Here's what defensemen do in a full 82 game schedule

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....&position=D&country=&status=&viewName=summary

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
No expectations Dom but if Hamilton doesn`t finish with at least 35 pts, logs 23:00 mins a night and has over 100pims, the kid needs to be shipped out!!!;)

The ole shortened season excuse train c`mon Dom, your better than this:sarcasm:

:laugh::laugh: Andrew.

I tweeted about Dougie last night and logged on to twitter this morning to find the wrath of Bruins fans tweeting me back because I "think he's a bust". :laugh::laugh:

Seriously this was my tweet

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano
#Bruins fans need to cool it down with the expectations of Dougie Hamilton for this season. Have a feeling kid will be needlessly dumped on

In no way is that knocking Dougie. More so dumping on the fans that will no doubt be all over him for one reason or another. Had one guy tell me he'll have a better rookie season with Boston than Ray Bourque did. Maybe so..but let the kid play a game first. It's just not fair to Dougie is it.

Just curious to know if that's his expectations for this year.

jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Obviously i'm joking. This Kid is going to be a Great Defense man. It is going to take him 3-4 years. We are going to see some great plays, some stupid turnovers from him, but everyone should just be patient. I hope we don't get to see a real thread on this here. Mods feel free to lock this up if you want. I Got Dougie is a bust thread out of the way.

How do you know he's going to be great and how do you know he's not going to be a bust? I mean do you have a crystal ball? Anything can happen...

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
I hope you are not expecting Doug Hamilton score 14 g + 20 a in 48 GP season. Don't even think Chara will. But since Tyler scored 25 goals in 29 games I would be very disappointed if doesn't score a total of 65 goals altogether this year 25 check 25-30 NHL and 10-15 in the playoffs. He sure look good

Kaoz*

I tweeted about Dougie last night and logged on to twitter this morning to find the wrath of Bruins fans tweeting me back because I "think he's a bust". :laugh::laugh:

#Bruins fans need to cool it down with the expectations of Dougie Hamilton for this season. Have a feeling kid will be needlessly dumped on

In no way is that knocking Dougie. More so dumping on the fans that will no doubt be all over him for one reason or another. Had one guy tell me he'll have a better rookie season with Boston than Ray Bourque did. Maybe so..but let the kid play a game first. It's just not fair to Dougie is it.

No Norris in a shortened 48 game rookie season does probably equate to a bust for some folks sadly.

Expecting 14 goals... holey. 10-20 goals is a realistic expectation for the entire blueline combined.

jmeehan1985

Jan 3, 2012
I went to training camp yesterday. Hamilton look great you can see this kid has great vision on the ice. I think he will have a bigger impact this year then people think. He was paired up with Seidenberg and looked great. Ill tell you though one person who was horrible out there was Lucic. Completely out of shape and sucking wind every drill he did. I wouldn't be starting him on the first line opening night.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Funny stuff Dom, but my interpretation of your tweet reads as such

"Dougie will disappoint, DH will be traded by February" so??? We all view things differently;)

My hope is we see him progressively get stronger and more comfortable with the pro game as the short season rolls along and I believe that with this coaching staff, and the very solid veteran guidance this team has, in the system they play, he "should". As for offensive production?? How is this even predictable, I hope the kid can put up some numbers but under Julien, the focus will most definitely be to work on and improve his defensive game to the point that he is comfortable to use that great speed and puck skill offensively when the time is right.

He was an absolute gift, and no way Chia or Julien push anything at this kid he isn`t prepared for

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Good lord if that's the typical fan attitude I hope the Bruins can find a cone of silence for the kid.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Obviously i'm joking. This Kid is going to be a Great Defense man. It is going to take him 3-4 years. We are going to see some great plays, some stupid turnovers from him, but everyone should just be patient. I hope we don't get to see a real thread on this here. Mods feel free to lock this up if you want. I Got Dougie is a bust thread out of the way.

There were Joe Thornton is a bust threads on the old board, Kessel is a bust on this board and Seguin is a bust on this board, that leads me to believe there will be at least one Hamilton is a bust thread on this board unless he ends up being a Calder candidate, in which case some will make a thread that it is a fluke like they did for Samsonov on the old board:laugh:

Maybe it won't be on the Bruins board but on the Leafs board, but I am expecting it to pop up somewhere.:laugh:

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

memo to all Canadian based Bruins fans - stop. you just need to stop the insanity! :laugh:

OOG, you may be the go to guy for all things cap/lockout related, (and we love you for it), and you may know the OHL like the back of your hand (and we love you for it), but you're really showing a thumbless grasp of the Boston fanbase when you talk like this. I think we have been more than patient with all so called can't miss kids that have come our way. Heck it wasn't till about season 3 of J. Thornton's career when we started scratching our heads and wondering out loud "hey ummm, any time now". Nobody said squalt about the way he was handled his rookie year.

Trust me when i say this - if we get only minimal points from Dougie his first season but he absolutely DESTROYS any winger who gets in his way and drops the gloves if anyone so much as looks at Tuukka the wrong way he will be loved....LOVED around here more than you can imagine.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
memo to all Canadian based Bruins fans - stop. you just need to stop the insanity! :laugh:

OOG, you may be the go to guy for all things cap/lockout related, (and we love you for it), and you may know the OHL like the back of your hand (and we love you for it), but you're really showing a thumbless grasp of the Boston fanbase when you talk like this. I think we have been more than patient with all so called can't miss kids that have come our way. Heck it wasn't till about season 3 of J. Thornton's career when we started scratching our heads and wondering out loud "hey ummm, any time now". Nobody said squalt about the way he was handled his rookie year.

Trust me when i say this - if we get only minimal points from Dougie his first season but he absolutely DESTROYS any winger who gets in his way and drops the gloves if anyone so much as looks at Tuukka the wrong way he will be loved....LOVED around here more than you can imagine.

Pie, I agree often with what you say, I am a big fan of Dom`s as well and while I often agree, we tend to differ on a few things however, to say this fan base (let`s be honest, EVERY fan base) is patient is just untrue. The head scratchin with Joe began almost immediately, especially as we watched a young kid named Samsonov who arrived with some fanfare, but nothing in comparison to Joe post almost 50pts.

I go on alot of teams sites, and each and every one of them has unreasonable amounts of lack of patience, some moreso than others.

Just you wait and see, come back in 2-3 weeks after Hamilton`s had a few games under his belt, this always goes on a case by case basis but if he struggles, we`ll see posts here that border on crazy

Sorry, I love the fans here, passionate more than most, patient and always or often fair??? Hmm, not always and I`m as guilty as the next fan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
not sure what he is going to be but he is going to a very good overall situation development wise. He should be able to be a bit unplugged and if he is as smart as they say- learn from mistakes and successes. Going to a strong team with guys like Chara and Seidenberg as your partners is about as good as it gets in theory.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Pie, I agree often with what you say, I am a big fan of Dom`s as well and while I often agree, we tend to differ on a few things however, to say this fan base (let`s be honest, EVERY fan base) is patient is just untrue. The head scratchin with Joe began almost immediately, especially as we watched a young kid named Samsonov who arrived with some fanfare, but nothing in comparison to Joe post almost 50pts.

I go on alot of teams sites, and each and every one of them has unreasonable amounts of lack of patience, some moreso than others.

Just you wait and see, come back in 2-3 weeks after Hamilton`s had a few games under his belt, this always goes on a case by case basis but if he struggles, we`ll see posts here that border on crazy

Sorry, I love the fans here, passionate more than most, patient and always or often fair??? Hmm, not always and I`m as guilty as the next fan

ODAAT, no doubt there will be a few outliers (I can't control all my charges ;)) but in terms of the bulk of the fandom we have been patient. Joe's rookie year I went to my usual quota of games (about half a dozen) and pretty much everyone i talked to and interacted with were resigned to the fact that this would be more of a developmental year for him. You can't tell me he, and coach Burns, weren't given a pass.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Well, not quite

Remember, the upcoming season is only 48 games, so if dougie scored that much in 48 games I think we'd have the next Paul Coffey on our hands

In an 82 game season however, that's a different story

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
ODAAT, no doubt there will be a few outliers (I can't control all my charges ;)) but in terms of the bulk of the fandom we have been patient. Joe's rookie year I went to my usual quota of games (about half a dozen) and pretty much everyone i talked to and interacted with were resigned to the fact that this would be more of a developmental year for him. You can't tell me he, and coach Burns, weren't given a pass.

There are literally millions of Bruins fans, and no fan base is a monolith. I have no doubt that a large amount (probably the majority) will be patient with Hamilton, but that still means a significant number won't be, and that number will undoubtedly let their thoughts be heard. If someone doesn't call talk radio within the first two weeks dumping on Hamilton I'll eat my computer.

james30

Jan 13, 2010
Here are Zdeno's stats: 1997 Rookie year 25 games 0 goals and 1 assist!!!!!!!!!`

Zdeno Chara
Defense
Born Mar 18 1977 -- Trencin, Slovakia
[35 yrs. ago]
Height 6.09 -- Weight 260 -- Shoots L
Selected by New York Islanders round 3 #56 overall 1996 NHL Entry Draft

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
1996-97 Prince George Cougars WHL 49 3 19 22 120 15 1 7 8 45
1997-98 New York Islanders NHL 25 0 1 1 50 1 -- -- -- -- --
1997-98 Kentucky Thoroughblades AHL 48 4 9 13 125 0 1 0 0 0 4
1998-99 New York Islanders NHL 59 2 6 8 83 -8 -- -- -- -- --
1998-99 Lowell Lock Monsters AHL 23 2 2 4 47 5 -- -- -- -- --
1999-00 New York Islanders NHL 65 2 9 11 57 -27 -- -- -- -- --
2000-01 New York Islanders NHL 82 2 7 9 157 -27 -- -- -- -- --
2001-02 Ottawa Senators NHL 75 10 13 23 156 30 10 0 1 1 12
2001-02 Trencin Dukla Slovak 8 2 2 4 32
2002-03 Ottawa Senators NHL 74 9 30 39 116 29 18 1 6 7 14
2003-04 Ottawa Senators NHL 79 16 25 41 147 33 7 1 1 2 8
2004-05 Farjestads BK Karlstad SEL 33 10 15 25 132 24 13 3 5 8 82
2005-06 Ottawa Senators NHL 71 16 27 43 135 17 10 1 3 4 23
2006-07 Boston Bruins NHL 80 11 32 43 100 -21 -- -- -- -- --
2007-08 Boston Bruins NHL 77 17 34 51 114 14 7 1 1 2 12
2008-09 Boston Bruins NHL 80 19 31 50 95 23 11 1 3 4 12
2009-10 Boston Bruins NHL 80 7 37 44 87 19 13 2 5 7 29
2010-11 Boston Bruins NHL 81 14 30 44 88 33 24 2 7 9 34
2011-12 Boston Bruins NHL 79 12 40 52 86 33 7 1 2 3 8
2012-13 Prague Lev KHL 25 4 6 10 24 5
2012-13 Boston Bruins NHL Statistics Unavailable
NHL Totals 1007 137 322 459 1471

jmeehan1985

Jan 3, 2012
Why can't we all be optimistic. What If Hamilton comes out and has a great year. I think he plays on the second PP unit to start and by the end of the season he's on the first PP. I see this kid having around 8 to 10 goals and around 25 to 30 Pts with a positive plus/minus. We needed to ease Seguin into the lineup because there wasn't a reason to rush him along because of the depth on our offense. There is more of a need right away for Hamilton and I think he will shine in his first season with the club.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Point em in my direction so I can punch them in the face!

Question, though, are the Bruins expectations maybe a little too high with pairing him with Seids right now? Things change obviously, but that surprised me...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
There are literally millions of Bruins fans, and no fan base is a monolith. I have no doubt that a large amount (probably the majority) will be patient with Hamilton, but that still means a significant number won't be, and that number will undoubtedly let their thoughts be heard. If someone doesn't call talk radio within the first two weeks dumping on Hamilton I'll eat my computer.

I worry more about the casual fan... they are the worst to sit in front of during the game ...

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I went to training camp yesterday. Hamilton look great you can see this kid has great vision on the ice. I think he will have a bigger impact this year then people think. He was paired up with Seidenberg and looked great. Ill tell you though one person who was horrible out there was Lucic. Completely out of shape and sucking wind every drill he did. I wouldn't be starting him on the first line opening night.
I am sure you are correct about Lucic looking bad.However,it's quite common early on for some players,I know I was always terrible for the first couple of weeks when I played,then almost overnight,everything comes together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad