Confirmed with Link: Hamilton going to a red team (The F1 Thread)

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
I like to see a shift in the dominance from Mercedes to make it more interesting than just going through the motions until the championships are handed over in a foregone conclusion..it’s been good that this years championship has been much more competitive even if it took rules that would hurt Mercedes and AM more so than others to achieve it. Mercedes have had to dig deep to try to overcome their deficiencies and that’s made it more fun to watch this year…

but Max was waaaaaaay over the line today.

he very clearly has raced like everyone else must back out and yield to him no matter if he is ahead or not in corners because he refuses to yield. He blows right past the braking zone and plows into corners and forces others off the track or makes them back out because he can’t make the corner and would crash them if they don’t yield. I’m shocked others haven’t gotten wrecked more than they have. When it gets tight like this and the championship is on the line, he is even more over the top trying to close it out today. But he was so blatant with it today I’m surprised he only got the penalties he did.

I would not at all be surprised that if the opportunity is there if there wouldn’t be deliberate taking out of Hamilton in the next race so Max could win the tie breaker. It had all that kind of feel today with all the games and stuff that were going on.

Will be interesting to see if there will be any special instructions about that sort of thing after todays antics from both teams.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Both Red Bull and Merc were guilty of a little shenanigans yesterday, but Max is going to brake late and drive into a corner on the inside, knowing he can't make the turn. The outside car is going to get pushed wide. When Max is on the outside, he cuts the corner.

Reactions: DaveG

sheriff bart

Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
93EF6610-E137-4758-9A56-D683EF187A52.gif

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
seriously, a bit of justice that it came down to the end lap after a safety car like that with how things played out at Silverstone earlier this season.

FIA really needs to get its shit together in terms of rules enforcement though.
After watching the amount of shit talking that was lobbed at Lando and Merc for not switching tires late in Sochi, watching Lewis lose the driver's championship for the exact same reason today and the amount of crying from those same people is beautiful

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Also how ironic is it that Schumacher's son punting Latifi keeps his father at the top of the all-time world championships leaderboard and allows the son of one of Michael's rivals to take his first title?

Reactions: sheriff bart

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Also how ironic is it that Schumacher's son punting Latifi keeps his father at the top of the all-time world championships leaderboard and allows the son of one of Michael's rivals to take his first title?
Like rain on your wedding day.

sheriff bart

Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Honestly, Mercedes lost that race earlier when Red Bull pitted Max under the VSC and Mercedes didn't cover that. Hamilton's hard tires were 23 laps old at that point and if he had pitted then, he may have had enough tire to hold off Max at the end.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Honestly, Mercedes lost that race earlier when Red Bull pitted Max under the VSC and Mercedes didn't cover that. Hamilton's hard tires were 23 laps old at that point and if he had pitted then, he may have had enough tire to hold off Max at the end.
That was my argument on the mains, even if you assume there's no way to pit for Hamilton during the safety car following Latifis wreck, not pitting to go onto mediums under the VSC 20 laps before that was f***ing stupid and likely cost him the race.

Reactions: sheriff bart

sheriff bart

Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
That was my argument on the mains, even if you assume there's no way to pit for Hamilton during the safety car following Latifis wreck, not pitting to go onto mediums under the VSC 20 laps before that was f***ing stupid and likely cost him the race.
Hammy's tires were 23 laps old at that point. They could have pitted him and he should have retained the lead under the VSC. There was no reason to leave him out there when he could have had a free pit stop for tires. I wondered why when they did it, so this isn't hindsight.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Hammy's tires were 23 laps old at that point. They could have pitted him and he should have retained the lead under the VSC. There was no reason to leave him out there when he could have had a free pit stop for tires. I wondered why when they did it, so this isn't hindsight.
I mean i get it in hindsight actually, not pitting him actually damn near paid off for Merc, but if you basically get a free pit stop under VSC to get fresh tyres without losing place you take it. Even Lewis was wondering why they weren't doing so.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean its the exact same late race chaos that happened in Sochi and cost Lando his first win at the detriment of Lewis. At the time, every single pundit out there railed against Lando and McLaren for completely botching their late race strategy. To be fair, at the same time, Lewis also said if the roles were switched, they'd have made the same call because the lead driver is always a sitting duck when chaos strikes.

Welp, the roles were reversed (against a much faster RB)...

sheriff bart

Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
The only chance that Max had to win the race was to get on some kind of different strategy than Hamilton was on. That's why it made no sense for Mercedes to just not copy what Max did and take tires under the VSC. I understand the call at the very end, but no reason to knowingly stay out on old tires that are going to have to last you until the end.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The only chance that Max had to win the race was to get on some kind of different strategy than Hamilton was on. That's why it made no sense for Mercedes to just not copy what Max did and take tires under the VSC. I understand the call at the very end, but no reason to knowingly stay out on old tires that are going to have to last you until the end.
I mean legitimately, Merc really did botch it from a strategy standpoint. RB had to pit to get new tires. They had to, because they had nothing to lose. So knowing that, you pit Hamilton and know that, if RB doesn't pit, you have fresh softs against aging hards on a car that has shown to be slower all race. Or Merc pits, RB pits, and you both have fresh softs in a shootout with Lewis driving a car that has already shown to be quicker all race. At the end of the day, Merc played a safe, calculated game, didn't take risks, and it blew up in their face.

Honestly, I love the fact that playing it safe backfired as badly as it did, and I love that it gave the title to someone who embraces risk and driving on the (and often over) the edge. It makes it more enjoyable to watch, and introduces just the right amount of chaos to a sport that has seemingly become very routine over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,800.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $245.00