Hamilton Bulldogs & Wheeling Nailers 2014-2015 Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I'M perfectly aware of his situation (both this year and last) but the fact is he's never been given a chance by the organization and he's behind less talented guys on the depth chart. In my books, Nygren & Tinordi are ahead of every other D prospect we have yet it's only Tinordi we ever hear about and he's the only one of the two who's gotten NHL time.

If Nygren ends up leaving the team before ever being given a shot at making it, it'll be a big mistake.

Didn't Nygren himself say that he was going to be called up before he had his concussion? It seems that he hasn't got his shot yet because of bad luck rather than management holding him back.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Maybe Nygren should look in the mirror for the answer as to why he is where he is and what he wants to do for the rest of his life. As it is now, he hasn't shown any real desire to become an everyday NHLer.

Every time a prospect fails it is because of bad management, but every time a prospect succeeds it's because of their innate awesomeness shining through.

Prospects don't fail. Lefebvre, Therrien, and Desharnais fail.;)

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
He did go back to Sweden in early January I believe. He came back and now is going back to Sweden again.

The defense curse continues...when are Habs gonna get some good fortune when it comes to a D prospect? I guess Subby used up all the luck.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I call bull **** on that one. I.

Maybe Nygren should look in the mirror for the answer as to why he is where he is and what he wants to do for the rest of his life. As it is now, he hasn't shown any real desire to become an everyday NHLer.

And I call BS on your comments... how completely ludicrous is that last statement. :shakehead

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
And I call BS on your comments... how completely ludicrous is that last statement. :shakehead

Nygren really is a shining example of what to do if you're a young player working your way into the NHL. He should be the poster boy of hard work, determination and team work. :shakehead

btw, just because you call bs doesn't make it so. Some arguments as to why you think it's bs would be appreciated. I'm open to discuss.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
The defense curse continues...when are Habs gonna get some good fortune when it comes to a D prospect? I guess Subby used up all the luck.

Tinordi and Brolieu seem just fine to me...

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
Didn't Nygren himself say that he was going to be called up before he had his concussion? It seems that he hasn't got his shot yet because of bad luck rather than management holding him back.

I believe you're right in that assesment but then people and management should be smart enough to realize that Nygren needs to be re-signed and given a shot at making it in the NHL, not let go of as if he was a bust. He hasnt even been given a chance to be a bust.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There's no real argument for Nygren not being given a fair shake. He has played a whopping 16 AHL games last year before walking out on the team and then 15 games this year before his concussion. People act like he's toiled in the AHL for 160 games while dominating the whole time.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sucks for the Dogs as they sorely need help on the PP so not getting Nygren back hurts. Odd since I just read somewhere last week that he was close to returning from his concussion.

I wouldn't assume he's done with the Habs, but we'll know by the off-season since his contract is up. No way would I give up on him although it can't be good that he's still having problems as concussions can be career killers. I think it's smart to let him take some time off, no need to rush him back if he's still having issues and no harm in having him go back home until he is 100% healthy.

btw, just because you call bs doesn't make it so. Some arguments as to why you think it's bs would be appreciated. I'm open to discuss.

It's not his fault he got a concussion, yes he left the team last year but he came back this year and was doing well up until the injury. The Habs were ready to call him up but he got injured, it's just bad luck. Nothing wrong with him going home to rest as concussions have to be taken very seriously.

depends on what your definition of fine is. Neither has done all that well in the AHL or NHL despite being top 20ish picks. Beaulieu is just starting to show some progress and yet he's still far from being a quality top 4 D. Who knows what the Habs have in Tinordi, time will tell on both but if I'm the Habs I'm not overly happy with either of them.

The Habs are cursed with Finland and Sweden, not defense.

agreed, too bad since Sweden is really turning out good players lately.

I believe you're right in that assesment but then people and management should be smart enough to realize that Nygren needs to be re-signed and given a shot at making it in the NHL, not let go of as if he was a bust. He hasnt even been given a chance to be a bust.

I don't see any reason why Nygren won't be re-signed unless his concussion issues continue or there is more to the story then what is being published.

There's no real argument for Nygren not being given a fair shake. He has played a whopping 16 AHL games last year before walking out on the team and then 15 games this year before his concussion. People act like he's toiled in the AHL for 160 games while dominating the whole time.

agreed. He should have stuck it out last year, he didn't so he had to spend time in the AHL showing he's willing to pay the price. He was doing that but ran into some bad luck. Now we'll see what happens with his future.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Sucks for the Dogs as they sorely need help on the PP so not getting Nygren back hurts. Odd since I just read somewhere last week that he was close to returning from his concussion.

I wouldn't assume he's done with the Habs, but we'll know by the off-season since his contract is up. No way would I give up on him although it can't be good that he's still having problems as concussions can be career killers. I think it's smart to let him take some time off, no need to rush him back if he's still having issues and no harm in having him go back home until he is 100% healthy.

It's not his fault he got a concussion, yes he left the team last year but he came back this year and was doing well up until the injury. The Habs were ready to call him up but he got injured, it's just bad luck. Nothing wrong with him going home to rest as concussions have to be taken very seriously.

I'm not saying it's his fault or that he shouldn't be given every opportunity to make the Habs.

I was commenting on posters saying how he should be in the NHL and the Habs were effectively keeping him down and called BS on them.

I think he could be a very serviceable defensman IF he decides to. So far he hasn't done that whether through his fault or not. He's definitely not done anything to warrant some martyr staus because he was cast aside after lighting the AHL on fire.

My guess is he gets extended and given another shot next year. If he still doesn't impress, he'l likely get traded which is what Bergy said at the beginning of this year before Nygren came back to the AHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm not saying it's his fault or that he shouldn't be given every opportunity to make the Habs.

I was commenting on posters saying how he should be in the NHL and the Habs were effectively keeping him down and called BS on them.

I think he could be a very serviceable defensman IF he decides to. So far he hasn't done that whether through his fault or not. He's definitely not done anything to warrant some martyr staus because he was cast aside after lighting the AHL on fire.

My guess is he gets extended and given another shot next year. If he still doesn't impress, he'l likely get traded which is what Bergy said at the beginning of this year before Nygren came back to the AHL.

makes sense, but I can't say I agree with your previous comments that he hasn't shown any desire to become an everyday NHLer. He was doing fine this year up until the injury so to me it's a little over the top as you make it sound like he's not working hard. Granted he should never have left the team last year but who's to say he hasn't learned a good lesson as like I said he was back this year and doing a good job with the Dogs. Had he not gotten injured, he very likely would have gotten a shot with the Habs and posters wouldn't be saying he needs to look in the mirror or work harder.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Are the Habs the only team who send players back home when they are hurt?

This is so weird.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Are the Habs the only team who send players back home when they are hurt?

This is so weird.
Yeah, there has been enough "weird" in the Nygren file that it's probably fair for us to ask questions. I mean, it's also fair that if you think a European guy has serious post-concussion syndrome issues, and he's not going to play again any time soon, (and it's safe for him to fly, of course), then he might as well do it in a comfortable home environment where he has people looking after him, not lonely in a hotel room or condo in Hamilton, thousands of miles from his friends and family. The idea of him going back to Sweden to convalesce, by itself, wouldn't be so bad, and would kinda seem like a nice gesture from the Habs org. But the rest of the saga also makes it natural that questions might be asked. Could be more to the story, or not, who knows. We won't get to know the answers, of course. (Well, unless Nygren gives another ill-advised interview to the press back home, perhaps...)

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He also requested to go home in December and they said no. Then his brother came over and got mugged so I think they decided to just let him.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
makes sense, but I can't say I agree with your previous comments that he hasn't shown any desire to become an everyday NHLer. He was doing fine this year up until the injury so to me it's a little over the top as you make it sound like he's not working hard. Granted he should never have left the team last year but who's to say he hasn't learned a good lesson as like I said he was back this year and doing a good job with the Dogs. Had he not gotten injured, he very likely would have gotten a shot with the Habs and posters wouldn't be saying he needs to look in the mirror or work harder.

Like I said, I'm happy to give the guy every opportunity to prove he belongs. He was working towards it until he got hurt but hadn't proven he was an NHLer in the 15-16 games he played this year. My comment was focused on the poster who said he should be up playing with the Habs instead of on the Bulldogs. That's tye context I was commenting on. if anyone from the Digs should be up it's Tinner way ahead of Nygren. Based on last year and this year Pateryn is likely the next one up after Tinner in terms of deserving it. Nygren falls back after those two guys.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Like I said, I'm happy to give the guy every opportunity to prove he belongs. He was working towards it until he got hurt but hadn't proven he was an NHLer in the 15-16 games he played this year. My comment was focused on the poster who said he should be up playing with the Habs instead of on the Bulldogs. That's tye context I was commenting on. if anyone from the Digs should be up it's Tinner way ahead of Nygren. Based on last year and this year Pateryn is likely the next one up after Tinner in terms of deserving it. Nygren falls back after those two guys.

well it sounds like the Habs did plan on calling him up but he was injured, so it appears they felt he should be up over Pateryn and Tinordi to which I agree with management as he was playing the best of any of our D prospects at the time.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
well it sounds like the Habs did plan on calling him up but he was injured, so it appears they felt he should be up over Pateryn and Tinordi to which I agree with management as he was playing the best of any of our D prospects at the time.

Don't compare him yo Tinordi. They play opposite sides, different styles, etc.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I came on to mention how surprised I am at how well Mike Condon is playing. His numbers are Price like. 2.10 GAA, .931 save percentage in 26 games.
I guess I will throw my two cents in on Nygren. He strikes me as a player who has little character. He displayed that last year. Habs have Tinordi, Pateryn, Dietz who all IMO are better prospects. Thrower is also making his way back. Glad he went home to Pleasant Ville.

another 2 goals for Ellis. He seems to be fighting hard to stay relevant

I often wondered why he got into the dog house so quickly....

Last edited by a moderator:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Isn't Tinordi sitting in a dark room right now also? Or is it just the 'Flu'? I'm putting Tinordi in the bad news camp right now, not the good news camp. I hope that changes this year or next.

I was also including the trade that shall not be named as part of the bad luck run for Habs D.

Brolieu is a happy story but given his draft spot not a happy surprise. I was talking about happy surprises versus bad luck. Subban was the last happy surprise. Habs could use anther one. I thought Nygren might be one. Bugger.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Nygren really is a shining example of what to do if you're a young player working your way into the NHL. He should be the poster boy of hard work, determination and team work. :shakehead

So you have taken the decision he made last year and assumed that he is doing the same this year. It actually seems he learned from that mistake and was about to be called up by the Canadiens.

DogsFan*

Isn't Tinordi sitting in a dark room right now also? Or is it just the 'Flu'? I'm putting Tinordi in the bad news camp right now, not the good news camp. I hope that changes this year or next.

I was also including the trade that shall not be named as part of the bad luck run for Habs D.

Brolieu is a happy story but given his draft spot not a happy surprise. I was talking about happy surprises versus bad luck. Subban was the last happy surprise. Habs could use anther one. I thought Nygren might be one. Bugger.

... what? Tinordi is fine. He never had a concussion. He also played really well coming back from injury as well, and played last night too. As far as Beaulieu.. he's been playing great and has claimed his spot in the top-4 at age 22. How is that not a happy surprise? A lot of people said he was all offence and he's proven he can play at the NHL level. No idea how you could say that Beaulieu is a disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad