Hamilton Bulldogs 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018

three dog night

May 3, 2014

The end result might be awesome, but it's looking like the Bulldogs might have to spend a season elsewhere which would suck.
Where are they going to play for one season no arena near by big enough unless it a one year move to Brampton.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Honestly, I think the best thing the Dogs should do is beg the OHL to let them play a single season at Mountain arena. Do something like donate First Ontario's video board so the OHL can tolerate it. Realistically, you aren't going to be able to draw a dime if you go any further out then Brantford and that effect will be doubly bad if they are playing into someone else's barn (save games against that team).

It won't be pretty, but for a single season you could make it work.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Just spit balling here but any chance they could split time at the Meridian Centre?
That would be pretty sensible geographically for fans.
TDN would know how busy is the Meridian Center with other events?
They have the odd concert during the season

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Just spit balling here but any chance they could split time at the Meridian Centre?
That would be pretty sensible geographically for fans.
TDN would know how busy is the Meridian Center with other events?

I'm as hardcore as they come. Never missed a home game all year and went to some away also.

I don't see myself getting season seats when it's a 45 minute drive one way. I would go to some games, but definitely not all of them.

Reactions: sbpointer

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Honestly, I think the best thing the Dogs should do is beg the OHL to let them play a single season at Mountain arena. Do something like donate First Ontario's video board so the OHL can tolerate it. Realistically, you aren't going to be able to draw a dime if you go any further out then Brantford and that effect will be doubly bad if they are playing into someone else's barn (save games against that team).

It won't be pretty, but for a single season you could make it work.
i scored a goal on that ice!

Hockeyguy999

Feb 19, 2022
DFCAD1AB-6472-4D95-A3A4-90201443CF9B.jpeg

So what’s the deal with the September 20th preseason game? Seems like there’s a mixup between who’s hosting the game

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
I'm as hardcore as they come. Never missed a home game all year and went to some away also.

I don't see myself getting season seats when it's a 45 minute drive one way. I would go to some games, but definitely not all of them.
The Bulldogs would do well to get some idea from the Ottawa 67's what effect playing out of their usual venue while renovations are ongoing will have on their seasons ticket holder base. The 67's did experience the same thing, and their support suffered because of it. Although their arena was upgraded and re-opened, the fan support dwindled, and probably hasn't recovered to what it once was.

Ottawa has proven to be a strong hockey market, and I'd rank their franchise above that of the Bulldogs ( no offence to present supporters ), but Hamilton has seen a number of Junior A franchises come and go. The question for management has to be: Can we afford a full year of fan support inconvenience, given how hard it's been to build the support we now have ??? It'll be a tough call.

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019
The Bulldogs would do well to get some idea from the Ottawa 67's what effect playing out of their usual venue while renovations are ongoing will have on their seasons ticket holder base. The 67's did experience the same thing, and their support suffered because of it. Although their arena was upgraded and re-opened, the fan support dwindled, and probably hasn't recovered to what it once was.

Ottawa has proven to be a strong hockey market, and I'd rank their franchise above that of the Bulldogs ( no offence to present supporters ), but Hamilton has seen a number of Junior A franchises come and go. The question for management has to be: Can we afford a full year of fan support inconvenience, given how hard it's been to build the support we now have ??? It'll be a tough call.
With all due respect, this team has already won 2 championships within its first 6 seasons in Hamilton, now entering its 7th. Except for 2015-16 where they were 10th in attendance, they have hovered around 6th-8th place in the league's average attendance each season. I think whatever doubt that was held with the Bulldogs staying in Hamilton long term doesn't really apply anymore, personally.

I could go on about why attendance is low despite the size of the arena they play in, but I don't really see the point in saying what has already been said about attendance in this team's past season threads. Regardless of those reasons, Andlauer is very keen on keeping this team where it is (or at least in the general area). The current arena situation is rather unfortunate, but I do agree with what @Hammer9001 said about trying to convince the OHL to let the Bulldogs play a single season in the Mountain Arena. It won't be pretty, but there isn't really any other reasonable option available that I can think of.

I haven't kept up with FirstOntario Centre's future renovations in a few months, but I would prefer that the arena is renovated in a way that would accommodate the Bulldogs, or otherwise any sort of major junior hockey team, or minor professional hockey team. No more NHL pipe dreams. Let's appreciate the team we have now and support them.

Last edited:

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
here is how i would do it with macro goig to ottawa

LWCRWLDRDG
HumphreyMorrisonHayesGrushnikovWhiteDrobac
VanackerThomasWintertonVan VlietMooreMalboeuf
O'KeefeSherkBrownDonovanRobertsEgorov
AndersonNelsonVandenBrinkCheynowskiAttard
RebeloWray
XhekajVeilleux

Hockeyguy999

Feb 19, 2022
here is how i would do it with macro goig to ottawa

LWCRWLDRDG
HumphreyMorrisonHayesGrushnikovWhiteDrobac
VanackerThomasWintertonVan VlietMooreMalboeuf
O'KeefeSherkBrownDonovanRobertsEgorov
AndersonNelsonVandenBrinkCheynowskiAttard
RebeloWray
XhekajVeilleux
He got traded to ottawa?

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
Haven't seen this posted anywhere
FirstOntario Centre renos unveiled

Renovations to FirstOntario Centre, once projected as an NHL venue and most recently the OHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs, will commence next spring as the 1985 arena becomes the centerpiece of new entertainment district.

The former Cops Coliseum will undergo a privately financed facelift. The arena isn’t being downsized, with hockey capacity remaining at approximately 17,500, but virtually every other part of the arena experience is being overhauled. The work will include widened concourses, a new exterior façade, upgraded street access with new lounges, a new roof with higher live load capabilities, new locker rooms, Some 80,000 square feet in storage space will be converted to public spaces like restaurants and club spaces.

Reactions: the dog

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Haven't seen this posted anywhere
FirstOntario Centre renos unveiled

I'll believe it when I see it sadly. The consortium that is leading this claims that this is happening, but low and behold COVID delay, and still delayed, from a group lead by the Mercanti's who promised a new hotel in downtown Hamilton after they took over the convention center and then didn't build it. Also, this group has been incredibly adamant about pursuing what in my eyes is a boondongle in the Commonwealth Games.

My thought it is these guys are going to try to use these games as a way to fund the reno so they don't have to pay a dime, but keep the contract to run the place, and if cooler heads prevail and council says no to the loseyourwealth games, they'll weasel their way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad