Hamilton Bulldogs 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Biondi committed to Guelph U. That’s one less possible OA next season. I liked him being on the fourth line but with the OAs available, it was obvious he wouldn’t be returning.

I always kind of wondering why McMaster and the Bulldogs don't get together to build a facility of their own and start their own CIS hockey program. I mean, don't get me wrong First Ontario is greatish when it's packed (the concourse becomes a nightmare) but it is so rarely packed.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I always kind of wondering why McMaster and the Bulldogs don't get together to build a facility of their own and start their own CIS hockey program. I mean, don't get me wrong First Ontario is greatish when it's packed (the concourse becomes a nightmare) but it is so rarely packed.

Ya, it almost seems like a no brainer.

Reactions: Helvigster

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Draft tomorrow.

Who do you guys think will get selected from the dogs?
I don’t expect much tomorrow since the first night is just round 1. However on Friday, I’m thinking Donovan, Morrison, and hopefully Hayes.

After Morrison’s season and especially his playoffs, I don’t know how a team doesn’t take a chance on him. Hayes might get picked but as usual, size will likely deter some teams. Both guys are eligible as overage. If neither are drafted, they become free agents. If Donovan gets drafted, I’d expect in a later round. His season wasn’t spectacular but I thought his development was quite noticeable later in the playoffs and Memorial Cup.

Another one to watch, Sherk. I don’t necessarily expect him to get drafted, but I believe he’s still draft eligible and he previously got an invite to the Leafs’ camp. Maybe a team would take a flyer on him at the draft, but I think a camp invite is more likely. Others I could also see possibly getting camp invites are Humphrey and Constantini. This is how Xhekaj earned his contract with Montreal. For players who attend the draft but don’t get picked (which is horrible to witness as players and their families start to feel like their dreams are crushed mid-way through the final round), it’s normal that team reps will run into the stands right after and start inviting some players to camps immediately.

Hockeyguy999

Feb 19, 2022
I don’t expect much tomorrow since the first night is just round 1. However on Friday, I’m thinking Donovan, Morrison, and hopefully Hayes.

After Morrison’s season and especially his playoffs, I don’t know how a team doesn’t take a chance on him. Hayes might get picked but as usual, size will likely deter some teams. Both guys are eligible as overage. If neither are drafted, they become free agents. If Donovan gets drafted, I’d expect in a later round. His season wasn’t spectacular but I thought his development was quite noticeable later in the playoffs and Memorial Cup.

Another one to watch, Sherk. I don’t necessarily expect him to get drafted, but I believe he’s still draft eligible and he previously got an invite to the Leafs’ camp. Maybe a team would take a flyer on him at the draft, but I think a camp invite is more likely. Others I could also see possibly getting camp invites are Humphrey and Constantini. This is how Xhekaj earned his contract with Montreal. For players who attend the draft but don’t get picked (which is horrible to witness as players and their families start to feel like their dreams are crushed mid-way through the final round), it’s normal that team reps will run into the stands right after and start inviting some players to camps immediately.
Donovan’s dad works for ottawa, for what it’s worth…

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Donovan’s dad works for ottawa, for what it’s worth…
He does. I guess we’ll find out what happens tomorrow.

Another name to add for the Bulldogs - Alex Sotek. Completely forgot about our newest import player. Ranked #45 among European skaters by Central Scouting. So maybe he’ll go somewhere around rounds 3 to 5?

Hockeyguy999

Feb 19, 2022
He does. I guess we’ll find out what happens tomorrow.

Another name to add for the Bulldogs - Alex Sotek. Completely forgot about our newest import player. Ranked #45 among European skaters by Central Scouting. So maybe he’ll go somewhere around rounds 3 to 5?
Guess we’ll see on him. He’s ranked by central scouting, but not a single other outlet. Maybe he’s not well known? I’m not sure. I’m hoping he turns into more of a Jan jenik than a Tim fleischer, no offence to Tim 😉

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019
I’m hoping he turns into more of a Jan jenik than a Tim fleischer, no offence to Tim 😉
I honestly forgot about Tim Fleischer LOL, but yeah if Sotek comes over, I'd prefer he's more of a Jenik or a Studenic. That 2018-19 team was really weird altogether though, and we'll probably see something similar to that for the upcoming season, since the team is coming off of a championship and they need to restock on picks.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Crazy. To be honest, I never like when stuff like this happens.

Morrison going undrafted after having one of the best playoff runs ever and a 100 point season is utter craziness. And hayes too.
I love Morrison, but let's not forget that he did all of this in his D+2 year and his biggest weakness is his skating.

I still think someone signs him. I really think he should have been picked over some of the other draft reentries. I also think he has better hockey IQ than 80% of the drafted kids.

Hockeyguy999

Feb 19, 2022
I love Morrison, but let's not forget that he did all of this in his D+2 year and his biggest weakness is his skating.

I still think someone signs him. I really think he should have been picked over some of the other draft reentries. I also think he has better hockey IQ than 80% of the drafted kids.
Yes, but he’s also a player who never got a d+1 and “missed a year of development” as everyone likes to say for Shane wright lol. I bet you 80% of the players drafted today won’t have as good of seasons or be as good of hockey players by age 19. He outplayed every single player he went up against. Hayes continues to fly under the radar too, he is also much better than many who got picked.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Overall I’m most surprised about Logan Morrison being passed over. I was sure that he was most likely to be drafted after the season he just had. However, I’m a fan and not a scout lol.

Players will get camp invites. Hopefully Morrison and Hayes get contracts. Staios as well, who was already a free agent.

Reactions: Roadhog

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Logan Morrison is going to the Dallas Stars camp.

Also read on Elliott Friedman’s latest 32 Thoughts blog that the Panthers apparently have interest in Nathan Staios. Thought #31:

Edit: a few minutes later I see the Panthers just posted their camp list and Nathan Staios will attend their camp. So is former Bulldog Tag Bertuzzi.

Last edited:

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Logan Morrison is going to the Dallas Stars camp.

Also read on Elliott Friedman’s latest 32 Thoughts blog that the Panthers apparently have interest in Nathan Staios. Thought #31:

Edit: a few minutes later I see the Panthers just posted their camp list and Nathan Staios will attend their camp. So is former Bulldog Tag Bertuzzi.

It will be interesting to see if either gets an ELC.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Hockeyguy999

Feb 19, 2022
I still think Mctavish is extremely likely to make Anaheim, but this will make his path somewhat harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad