Hamilton Bulldogs 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
In fact, during the regular season Cramarossa was 2nd on the team in points and Saigeon was 4th.

Thus, the reason for my post.

maldo

Feb 21, 2012
In fact, during the regular season Cramarossa was 2nd on the team in points and Saigeon was 4th.

Thus, the reason for my post.

Look at the minutes played...Pettis line and Bittens line eat up most of the shifts be it PP,PK,or double shifting and expect the trend to continue while they are winning.This is the playoffs,not the regular season.Besides the Crammer is playing well but Saigeon and Enthiswaite right now are still trying to get the feel of the playoffs

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
So what your saying is what they did in the regular season is different then now because it's the playoffs? OK, but I still think they can help move this Bulldog team a lot further in the playoffs.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Players still contribute without earning points every night. Yes, points are important. But they've only played 2 games. I wouldn't be the least bit worried right now.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I am not worried one bit. I think it's great that the Bulldogs are up 2 to 0 in the series and coming home for the next 2. And all this without a single point from two of their top point producers. Gotta luv it.

maldo

Feb 21, 2012
Players still contribute without earning points every night. Yes, points are important. But they've only played 2 games. I wouldn't be the least bit worried right now.

My worry is behind the blueline.Too many pucks coughed up or errant passes when theres a strong forecheck.Our goalie has to continue to bail us out and you might squeek by a team like kingston which dont have that many skilled forwards but you will need lady luck in the next round

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Quick question, in the OHL Information Guide seating capacity for Hamilton is 17,383. Is the upper section blocked off if so then what would be the official or I should say used capacity number?

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
My worry is behind the blueline.Too many pucks coughed up or errant passes when theres a strong forecheck.Our goalie has to continue to bail us out and you might squeek by a team like kingston which dont have that many skilled forwards but you will need lady luck in the next round

I think this a fairly valid concern. Game one and two both have had the same issue. The breakouts from the Bulldogs (outside of game two of the second period) have been a sloppy and have lead to turnovers or just giving the puck away too easily.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
Look at the minutes played...Pettis line and Bittens line eat up most of the shifts be it PP,PK,or double shifting and expect the trend to continue while they are winning.This is the playoffs,not the regular season.Besides the Crammer is playing well but Saigeon and Enthiswaite right now are still trying to get the feel of the playoffs

Theres more to winning playoff games than just getting points. I thought Entwistle was outstanding in game 1. The big picture is what's important. Go dogs!

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Really empty arena tonight--only 2,896 showed up for a playoff game. Where are the fans? Are they busy watching Leafs/Panthers? Or are they down in Niagara watching the IceDogs putting up a fight against the Petes (who BTW also have a dog for a mascot). Or are the tickets WAY too expensive for this city? Thought they would've been better now in the OHL

You can imagine the Bulldogs will be basically giving away tickets on Thursday just to appease Sportsnet (the game's on SN360). I thought we'd see 4,000+ for a playoff game..

Hamilton loses 4-2--back to Kingston Friday for sure for Game 5. Expect Staios and Gruden to give a chewing out to the team after this performance--they should be beating this rebuilding Fronts team. They dominated them on the road--yet come home and lay an egg.

maldo

Feb 21, 2012
Really empty arena tonight--only 2,896 showed up for a playoff game. Where are the fans? Are they busy watching Leafs/Panthers? Or are they down in Niagara watching the IceDogs putting up a fight against the Petes (who BTW also have a dog for a mascot). Or are the tickets WAY too expensive for this city? Thought they would've been better now in the OHL

You can imagine the Bulldogs will be basically giving away tickets on Thursday just to appease Sportsnet (the game's on SN360). I thought we'd see 4,000+ for a playoff game..

Hamilton loses 4-2--back to Kingston Friday for sure for Game 5. Expect Staios and Gruden to give a chewing out to the team after this performance--they should be beating this rebuilding Fronts team. They dominated them on the road--yet come home and lay an egg.

Yes and they laid an egg because of what you said....Mt seats!...when you can hear random fans yelling to friends on the other side of the rink,you know the place is MT!
The place is too cavernous and these kids could have pulled out the game if they had a big crowd behind them.They may as well do their damage in Kingston because that turnout was not only disgusting but insulting.Maybe they should round up about a dozen ticat football players let them in the stands and maybe they will fill the place.Sometimes I think thats all this city cares about is the ticats !!!

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
Bulldogs need to work on their breakouts. Its something they have struggled with all series long and it really showed in the third period of last nights game.

On a positive note, I really did like the psychical aspect that the Bulldogs brought to the game. Really looked like they were trying to get a good home game in. Its unfortunate that the crowd wasn't larger. Also I've liked their defensive positioning since the Christmas break and it looked pretty good last night too.

Last edited:

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Bulldogs need to work on their breakouts. Its something they have struggled with all series long and it really showed in the third period of last nights game.

On a positive note, I really did like the psychical aspect that the Bulldogs brought to the game. Really looked like they were trying to get a good home game in. Its unfortunate that the crowd wasn't larger. Also I've liked their defensive positioning since the Christmas break and it looked pretty good last night too.

I thought the physical game from last night set a good tone. At the end of it all, my favourite defenseman Gleason got really lazy in going for the puck, Kingston scooped it up, and turned out to have a breakaway. That tying goal set the stage for the rest of the 3rd. Hamilton looked mostly ok with the lead, but didn't know how to recapture it.

Hopefully some lessons learned and #42 redeems himself tomorrow night.

jdan1997

Aug 22, 2012
Tonight's game will not be on Cable 14 if I am not mistaken? Does anyone know a place to stream it since I don't subscribe to Sportsnet 360?

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Just went and picked up my tickets for tonight the person at the window did not know how many exactly but said they sold alot of tickets... The end we tions she said the first 15-16 rows in all 6-7 end sections are sold already so hopefully we get a good crowd tonight

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Just went and picked up my tickets for tonight the person at the window did not know how many exactly but said they sold alot of tickets... The end we tions she said the first 15-16 rows in all 6-7 end sections are sold already so hopefully we get a good crowd tonight

Good to hear, but why do I feel Sportsnet or even Andlauer bought most of those tickets and gave them out for discounted rates or free so that FirstOntario Centre looks good on TV?

And the Bulldogs really need a win tonight--don't want to let the Fronts back in the series. I really want to see Matthew Strome play in Peterborough or Missy in Round 2..

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Good to hear, but why do I feel Sportsnet or even Andlauer bought most of those tickets and gave them out for discounted rates or free so that FirstOntario Centre looks good on TV?

And the Bulldogs really need a win tonight--don't want to let the Fronts back in the series. I really want to see Matthew Strome play in Peterborough or Missy in Round 2..

I don't even know how they would give them out of that was the case.. Fortinos doesn't sell them at cheap rate like they do at regular season.. Im sure the ticket staff ppl were told to really push ticket sales and what not for tonight's game.. Im really hoping for a Sudbury win and Windsor win tonight as it would push oshawa and London binks of elimination as i can't stand those two teams in the league

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
If you go to the map on ticketmaster, you can see exactly how many tickets are sold (under single game tickets). It looks like it'll be a better crowd for tonight's match-up

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Gruden and Staios need to give another pep talk--Bulldogs are getting destroyed again by an inferior Fronts team.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
If you go to the map on ticketmaster, you can see exactly how many tickets are sold (under single game tickets). It looks like it'll be a better crowd for tonight's match-up

Much better turnout tonight...but man, the boys really stunk it up tonight. We were badly outplayed in the first. We couldn't get it out of our zone. 3 goals.

2nd period, I'd say we dominated. We controlled the play, dominated possession, but Kingston had their sticks on the ice in all the right places at all the right times.

3rd period, I felt we had it again...for the most part. But damn it!!!! Lemcke gets lazy on the puck and ... 5 to 1. They let up, or lose attention, too quickly when it's too important not to.

Ugh!!!!

I guess on the bright side...another game for revenue purposes on Sunday?

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
That was a rough one. Breakouts have been a problem all series long and it really showed in the first period. Bit soft defensively by Webb and Lemcke on goals 4 and 5 but I thought the Bulldogs played well in the second and third period.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nurse and or Garagan get a game tomorrow to switch things up a bit. Maybe having two guys out there who are trying to win a spot in the line-up, is the kick in the pants that is needed.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
That was a rough one. Breakouts have been a problem all series long and it really showed in the first period. Bit soft defensively by Webb and Lemcke on goals 4 and 5 but I thought the Bulldogs played well in the second and third period.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nurse and or Garagan get a game tomorrow to switch things up a bit. Maybe having two guys out there who are trying to win a spot in the line-up, is the kick in the pants that is needed.

Yeah, I don't think I'm sold on Nurse. I don't see him committing to anything but for some hits. His shifts are very short, and I don't think I've seen him on the tally sheet for a point. However, there has to be a change somewhere.

I don't know where the coaching staff would suggest a different tactic. That 2nd period was a dominating performance, but there was nothing to show for it.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Breakouts have been a problem all series long and it really showed in the first period.
I agree. I think this is the main area where Paul McFarland (Kingston's coach) has Hamilton figured out, and so he knows how to have his players defend against Hamilton. Gruden even said in an interview in the final weeks of the regular season that Kingston already had Hamilton figured out, and that Hamilton would be trying out some new strategies. So far it seems as though rushing the puck into Kingston's end doesn't work, and nor does cherry picking. Yesterday it seemed to me like the Bulldogs tried to rush the puck in (like they have most of the season). But with Kingston, the dump and chase (which they did occasionally last night) seemed to work best in the first two games. Normally I'm not a fan of dump and chase.

Another area where Hamilton seems to be getting beat quite often in this series is faceoffs. I haven't looked up the stats much during the playoffs but just from watching, it often seems like Kingston is winning most.

One last thought: Jackson needs to keep his gloves on. That wasn't his first fight yesterday but both has the same results. Being a forth liner, I think he's trying to figure out what kind of player he can be and do whatever he can to get more ice time. I get it and nor do I blame him. I don't fault him for trying but he's not a fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad