Halo: Infinite (Dec. 8th, 2021) - Xbox Series X

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It wasn't really Rush from BF so much as it was Warzone from Killzone 2. It was just a seamless shift from one game-type to another over the course of BTB match. Depending on the map you got a mix of Territories, Assault (1-way neutral bomb), KOTH, all with standard BTB Slayer combat between. Combine that with the fact that you had Halo combat but with class abilities and loadouts, and it felt very fresh for Halo. It wasn't necessary innovative in the strictest sense, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

I use the Rush comparison just based on only part of the map being open with a capture point, then the defence falls back, more of the map opens up, and more vehicles become available in the 2nd stage. My main gripe with Onslaught was the lack of maps available at launch.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Did the Halo Master Chief collection’s matchmaking ever get fixed? I remember hearing it was terrible when it was released(one of the things that swayed me to PS4)Just talking about Halo in here is making the nostalgia itch strong :laugh:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Did the Halo Master Chief collection’s matchmaking ever get fixed? I remember hearing it was terrible when it was released(one of the things that swayed me to PS4)Just talking about Halo in here is making the nostalgia itch strong :laugh:

I think it took like a month but they fixed it, they lost a lot of people in the process.

Reactions: K Fleur

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Reach does hold the distinction of having the single most fun weapon in any Halo sandbox. The breach-loaded grenade launcher. Remote detonation, EMP blast that could take out shields and stop vehicles dead, mastering this thing so you could ricochet shots around corners and clean up with the magnum. *chefs kiss*

This thing was the best! Especially when someone was camping in a room. My friend called it the chocolate cake and I asked him why he said nothing is better than chocolate cake. From that point on it was... "I've got the cake!.."

I had so much fun with Reach.... the maps were great compared to the garbage they later release in 4.

Reactions: JaegerDice

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Yeah it works great now and has for a while. Played some more last night.

Reactions: K Fleur

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I think it took like a month but they fixed it, they lost a lot of people in the process.

My memory was closer to 6-10 months but yeah, eventually it worked. I played it up until around a year ago, and the modes for matchmaking were still pretty limited. Like some of the best maps/gametypes/Forge setups were never really used.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Halo Infinite Loses Another Director

It's becoming increasingly likely that Halo Infinite is scrapped entirely and the next Halo game is restarted from scratch under Staten. You can't cycle through directorial 'visions' this much and come out with a coherent product.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If thats the case then 343 needs to have its doors closed.

Literally all they were created for was to make ****ing Halo games and they can't even do that properly.

In the 5 years they dicked around making this game, Bungie put out an entire trilogy's worth of games. Shameful and absolute failure on 343's part

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sounds like some of this is a bit overreaction, I saw reports that the campaign and game production is already done and just needs to be smoothed out and polished. Lee leaving could signify that the game mechanics that needed his guidance is at the point he isn't needed there anymore.

Reactions: CPTN71

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Sounds like some of this is a bit overreaction, I saw reports that the campaign and game production is already done and just needs to be smoothed out and polished. Lee leaving could signify that the game mechanics that needed his guidance is at the point he isn't needed there anymore.

I'd be more inclined to this line of thinking if the game hadn't already lost a Director or two and hadn't been shit-kicked all over the internet after their reveal.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I mean, if you read the article, it basically says as soon as they brought Staten back in, Lee was sidelined, which makes sense. You bring in someone to replace the old guy.

Either way, not super encouraging but I’d have to think we don’t see this game for a year at least.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I wonder when the next time we get to see any gameplay or news about the game itself is? They showed that demo in the summer and then that was it..

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I wonder when the next time we get to see any gameplay or news about the game itself is? They showed that demo in the summer and then that was it..
There were rumours some more gameplay was supposed to be released yesterday which never happened; please everyone here do not watch HaloFollower, let him and his fake clickbait videos die. I wouldn't be surprised if we got to see a hype trailer during the holidays, but I also think it depends on how far the game is away from being finished.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Armour looks really good, but how they've announced this game in regards to news has been one of the thee worst I've seen in video game history. It's like what Nintendo does when making a triple A game in secret, announcing on a random day, and releasing it a week later.
Tied for 3rd best.

1) Halo
2) Halo 3
3) ODST/Reach
4) ODST/ Reach
5) Halo 2
6) Halo 4
7) Halo 5
My personal opinion...

1. Halo 3: ODST
(Best storyline, environment, and loveable characters)

2. Halo 2
(One hell of a journey going from Earth to another Halo to High Charity and Flood being the wildcard)

3A. Halo CE
(It's genesis that does a lot of good with a couple bad; weapon balance and redundant campaign missions)

3B. Halo: Reach
(I think I would rank this higher than CE in terms of storyline, characters, and setting, but MP lets it down big time)

4. Halo 3
(Good game with by far the best and most balanced MP, was let down by overhyped marketing. Has one of the best reveal trailers of all-time though)

5. Halo 4
(One of those stand-alone adventure games that brings new elements to the universe, MP underrated IMHO)

6. Halo 5
(Easily the worst in terms of campaign and MP, hated every aspect about it except Forge which is a masterpiece. BY FAR the single worst point was the fake marketing campaign, which essentially lied to us the gamers)

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
In terms of overall experience (storyline, multiplayer, features, gameplay, etc.), relative to expectations at the time they were released:
Halo 2 > Halo:CE/Halo 3 > Halo 3: ODST > Halo Reach > Halo 4 > Halo 5.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
As far as overall quality goes:

Halo: Reach
Halo 3
Halo: CE
Halo 2
Halo: ODST
Halo 5
Halo 4

Halo: Reach is just an insanely good package. Excellent campaign, great (albeit divisive) multiplayer with tons of playlists and modes, Firefight and Forge.

As far as campaign quality goes:

Halo 3
Halo ODST
Halo CE
Halo 2
Halo 4
Halo 5

ODST and Halo: CE are kinda tied for me. Halo loses points for the fact that the 2nd half of the game is basically just the first in reverse as far as environments. ODST loses points for the fact that the city, while atmospheric and full of lore to find, is basically just filler as far as content. Very little important actually happens in it, the meat of the game is in the flashback missions and the final stretch. Both games use great storytelling and encounter design to mask those issues though. Halo 3 would be number 1 if not for Cortana and the fact that they couldn't think of a better finale than the one in Halo:CE, so they just straight up re-used it.

As far as competitive multiplayer goes:

Halo 3
Halo 5
Halo 2
Halo CE
Halo ODST
Halo 4

...yes, I am aware that Halo: ODST does not have competitive multiplayer. The ranking stands. Sometimes nothing is better than what you get.

As far as mechanics and sandbox balance, I actually think Halo 5 is better than Halo 3. But it loses a lot of points for quality of maps and lack of playlists and modes. Halo 3 isn't as well-balanced weapon-wise and the equipment element isn't anywhere near as impactful as the Spartan abilities, cause everybody basically just hordes the things out of concern that there might be a situation later that they'll need them. Combined with goofy netcode that prioritized the position of equipment of equipment and grenades over player position, it kind of kept stepping on its own toes. Still better balance than Halo 2, better maps than Halo 5, less divisive than Reach. Has to be number 1.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Halo 3 would be number 1 if not for Cortana and the fact that they couldn't think of a better finale than the one in Halo:CE, so they just straight up re-used it.
Highly disagree with this JD, the finale in Halo 3 is by the far one of the most satisfying ending I've had in a game, going back from where you started was an excellent end point I thought. Also insanely disagree about your comments concerning Halo 3 MP balance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad